All-Star Going To A Gymnastics Gym For Tumbling?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

At My gym we don't allow athletes to take tumble classes from other programs. If the want a gymnastics coach they can stay in our program. We have a full child activities center gymnastics, cheer, preschool, daycare, a kids play place, developmental gymnastics, swim, and a rock gym. So its a conflict of interest if you go somewhere else and what does it say about your trust of your coaching staff?

I know that going to another program doesn't necessarily make coaches happy, but i know that for myself, i need to tumble with other coaches occasionally--especially when i'm struggling with a skill. Having the same coach day in and day out, they just tell me the same thing / same way to fix it, but when i have a fresh set of eyes / instructions, they not only catch other things that my other coaches are just used to seeing, but they also have a different way of trying to help me understand and fix it.

ive tumbled for 7 years and out of those 7 i tumbled at a cheer gym for 1 season. the rest was gymnastics. our coaches dont really care if we tumble at a gymnastics facility just as long as it isnt at another cheer gym.

just because its a gymnastics gym doesn't mean that you are going to learn better technique and progressions
Just because its an allstar gym doesn't mean that you are going to be pushed too quickly into the next skill.
It depends on the coaches.

but allstar gyms are more likely to teach you approaches for a skill that work for cheer. Every former gymnast that is working on a standing tuck that comes into my gym Stands up on their toes with arms in the air dips and bends forward then jumps and tucks, which doesn't work for cheer but it probably works great for the beam.

There's a gymnastics gym less than 5 minutes from my cheer gym. They have open gym every Friday night. Tons of cheerleaders from my gym (and even a few of the younger coaches) go there to tumble.

YES! It does help. I have been going to a gymnastics gym, for privates for the past 4 years. I went to get a tuck in like 2 weeks, so i would make the level 3 team at my gym. And in two weeks I got my tuck:) and she has taken me from a bhs to a double full combo pass:)
so i would suggest that if you want to get some more tumbling skills or clean up your tumbling, visit a gymnastics gym!

and p.s. they always have a lot more tools to help you with your tumbling [i.e a pit, a rod floor, vault spring things, and really good tramps:)]

like a lot of other people one here i was a gymnast and my technique and cleansiness is really good people at my gym always say that my tumbling is so pretty and it was b/c of my gymnastics background
i think itd be a very good idea to go to gymnastics center b/c no matter what level u r itll help at least a little and sometimes if u have a differnet coach it might make more sense as to what u need to improve, all coaches have different approaches to teaching tumbling
so yeah id suggest going hahah

As a former gymnast--that came up throught the USGF program, I know and understand the strict requirments of an elite level gymanst!! Once I started coaching cheerleaders, my requirements, as far as tumbling goes, has not changed!! My point, is that no matter what level you coach as a tumbling instructor, the basic skills and technique remain the same!!
The gyms that utilize sound instruction, proper technique, conditioning, and positive reinforcement, will be the gyms that last the test of time!! As far as going to a gymanstics facility-vs-a cheer facility, for tumbling instruction??? I don't think one has and advantage over the other, as far as cheerleading is concerned! No matter where a person tumbles, the talented will continue to be talented, and those with promise-stand a chance of getting better, regardless of where they trained!

It's not just the gyms you go to, it's the gyms you go to with instructors that will teach correctly. I have owned a gymnastics center and a cheer gym. Like post above me said basics and technique stay the same no matter where you are at.
I believe this thread tells a lot about SOME of our industries coaching ability... Debbie Love says this all the time and she trys to push the technique and strength side of it, all the time! Please listen to her people! I sure do, even though I have been in this for 16 years there is no ending to learning!
Keep cheer gyms classes full!

At My gym we don't allow athletes to take tumble classes from other programs. If the want a gymnastics coach they can stay in our program. We have a full child activities center gymnastics, cheer, preschool, daycare, a kids play place, developmental gymnastics, swim, and a rock gym. So its a conflict of interest if you go somewhere else and what does it say about your trust of your coaching staff?

It's not about trust, it's about trying something different. I've taken my cp to a gymnastics gym to see if it made a difference in her ability to tumble (mental block) it didn't. but what if it could? I would've never known if i didn't try. You could also say the same about choosing one coach over another to do privates with in your own gym. If my cp doesn't do privates with her own team coach and we choose to do privates with someone else, it doesn't mean she doesn't trust her coach. It's simply switching things up. Getting too comfortable with 1 coach can sometimes be counterproductive. A change in atmosphere and coaching style might actually help someone. Doesn't mean they want to change gyms.

Yeaahh, for sure!
I'm doing it right now, and i have improved so much technique wise! I can see a different with all the little things that are helping me with the bigger skills, I also understand a lot more like how to use the floor and what not, and my coaches have noticed the improvement as well. So I'd say go for it, you won't regret it one bit :)

It's not about trust, it's about trying something different. I've taken my cp to a gymnastics gym to see if it made a difference in her ability to tumble (mental block) it didn't. but what if it could? I would've never known if i didn't try. You could also say the same about choosing one coach over another to do privates with in your own gym. If my cp doesn't do privates with her own team coach and we choose to do privates with someone else, it doesn't mean she doesn't trust her coach. It's simply switching things up. Getting too comfortable with 1 coach can sometimes be counterproductive. A change in atmosphere and coaching style might actually help someone. Doesn't mean they want to change gyms.

ok my opinion has changed on the trust thing you make a very valid point. I still wont allow are kids to go to another gymnastic gym but only because we have a full competitive gymnastic facility in are facility so I have no problems with them going there for tumbling. Every other gymnastic gym in our town also has a allstar progam in it. So i find it hard to let a kid go to another progam if there is a allstar team that works out at that gym as well.

You would think that I would jump all over this and say, "For the best tumbling progression, go to a gymnastics gym." A more crisp response is, "For the best tumbling progression, seek a gym that understands and adheres to tumbling progressions ... and has coaches that are stronger willed than parents."

Can I have an "Amen?"

This is awesome if I could give you 1000 shimmies I would!

ok my opinion has changed on the trust thing you make a very valid point. I still wont allow are kids to go to another gymnastic gym but only because we have a full competitive gymnastic facility in are facility so I have no problems with them going there for tumbling. Every other gymnastic gym in our town also has a allstar progam in it. So i find it hard to let a kid go to another progam if there is a allstar team that works out at that gym as well.

We have lots of kids from different allstar gyms come to our program for structured tumble class every monday night :) They truly enjoy the different coaching style. Our coaches have not even attempted to try to recruit them. If they choose to come to our gym after taking lessons then it's because they are getting what they need from our gym that they can't get at their own. Same goes for kids leaving our gym. If you have trust and pride in the gym you currently attend, just getting private lessons from another gym shouldn't be enough to make them want to leave your gym. It takes a while to build a great relationship with the coaches and athletes of a gym. If they choose to leave, most likely they were never a good fit to begin with. This is jmo.

I made the mistake of leaving our gym one year. It was actually to support a friend who was trying to bring their gym back. We stayed for the season but realized it "wasn't a good fit" for my kids. my son was cheering at that time too. We went back to FAME. I guess being away for a year made us realize just how much FAME has done for us and that the grass really isn't greener.

Back