All-Star Halloween Practice - Altered Schedule Or No?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 31, 2016
Wanted some feedback from parents and coaches on Halloween practices for younger teams (say y1 with many 8-9 year olds)? Our gym has a very strict attendance policy where pretty much the only accepted excuse is school events for a grade, and many teams have practice scheduled on Halloween. We have always been team first and I understand competition season is coming, but given the sacrifices these athletes make I feel bad for the little ones missing trick or treating! That magic only lasts for so long...

So my question is (and I get senior teams might be different), does your gym change practice schedule for Halloween and if they don't and your child had practice would you let him or her miss practice and accept the consequences? Would love to hear any coaches point of view too if you have one. Thanks.

If your practice falls on Halloween, we do not change practice. This will be the second time in 5 years my daughters team practiced on Halloween. We sometimes do a theme dress for Halloween and parents do trunk or treat out of their cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

At our previous gym, I think we only had practice fall on Halloween once. I believe practice was cancelled (or maybe switched to another night). At our current gym, I am hearing one team has cancelled practice. But I'm not 100%.

We aren't practicing on Halloween. CP's team doesn't practice on Tuesday anyway, but a lot of other parents are pretty happy with that decision.

Yeah, I gotta say. I'm a pretty strict coach but I would absolutely alter or change a practice schedule to allow my kids to go trick or treating. Especially on a lower level senior team or even junior or youth. I'm sorry but trick-or-treating with your friends is something you remember forever. Maybe I'm more lax up here in the northeast because we love halloween but I just think some things are an exception.

We do not have allstar practice on Halloween. My cp will happily accept a makeup practice for the opportunity to trick or treat with friends.

In our experience, practice was always cancelled for Halloween. I personally would not send my child to practice over trick or treating. Kids need to be kids.

Our gym is closed. We have lots of littles. Their mommas would be upset if coaches made them practice during trick or treat. For the littles it's the same as Christmas lol

Our gym closes on Halloween. We make so many demands on our kids and our season is pretty much year round, so sometimes you gotta give a little.

No practices on Halloween night. We have a few extra practices on a weekend throughout the season to make up for those type things. Even at age 12 my cp would be bummed to miss Halloween.

Back