All-Star Halloween Practice - Altered Schedule Or No?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

We don't have a start time, but our town typically sets a "curfew" of 9 p.m. so people's doorbells aren't being rang all night and if any kids choose to get into trouble it differentiates them from the trick or treaters I guess. I don't know, but I appreciate the curfew.

Our kids usually start on the early side, around 4:30. By 7-8 the latest they’re usually all tot’d out.

I think this is the only safe place for me to complain so I will add that our gym is not canceling practice on the 31st either. And skipping simply isn't an option. And it infuriates me to no end! Our comps don't start for another month and a half. These kids all give up so much because they're so committed to the gym. Why is it so impossible to just cancel/reschedule practices this day!

We don't have a start time, but our town typically sets a "curfew" of 9 p.m. so people's doorbells aren't being rang all night and if any kids choose to get into trouble it differentiates them from the trick or treaters I guess. I don't know, but I appreciate the curfew.

Yeah, if you're out ToTing anywhere past 8:30 or 9 where I lived, the cops on patrol ask that you wrap it up. I appreciate it too. There's no reason to be out that late ringing peoples doorbells. Plus, some older people get pretty wild during halloween and I would want the streets clear of all little ones.

This year has been particularly warm but there were many, many years where I didn't want to stay out past 8pm because it was so gosh darn cold. My Buffy the Vampire Slayer costume was NOT as warm as I thought it would be. Always forgot that show took place in California...

I think this is the only safe place for me to complain so I will add that our gym is not canceling practice on the 31st either. And skipping simply isn't an option. And it infuriates me to no end! Our comps don't start for another month and a half. These kids all give up so much because they're so committed to the gym. Why is it so impossible to just cancel/reschedule practices this day!

Why? You are the consumer and the cheerleader is your child; you absolutely have a choice in this matter. You may not like the consequences of the choice, but you can absolutely decide that Halloween is more important for your child than cheerleading is for one day.

Why? You are the consumer and the cheerleader is your child; you absolutely have a choice in this matter. You may not like the consequences of the choice, but you can absolutely decide that Halloween is more important for your child than cheerleading is for one day.

I agree. At some point parents gotta stand up for themselves and their child. However, if I was in this situation it sure would feel better if more were involved. Talk to a few other parents, if there's a little gang of you going on "strike" over trick or treating rights then maybe less risk of y'all getting kicked off the team?

However, if I was in this situation it sure would feel better if more were involved. Talk to a few other parents, if there's a little gang of you going on "strike" over trick or treating rights then maybe less risk of y'all getting kicked off the team?
I can pretty much assure you that gang would 100% be kicked out. We can (and have) reached out individually to express disappointment and we hope they will have a change of heart.
You may not like the consequences of the choice, but you can absolutely decide that Halloween is more important for your child than cheerleading is for one day.
Right, and that is where I struggle. We drive far, other gyms are farther and overall my daughter is very happy aside from this. And because nobody wants to be at the practice and they are still having it I do think it is likely that those who skip will be off the team for letting down their teammates. Grrrr. Still have fingers crossed they will cancel it!

Yeah, if you're out ToTing anywhere past 8:30 or 9 where I lived, the cops on patrol ask that you wrap it up. I appreciate it too. There's no reason to be out that late ringing peoples doorbells. Plus, some older people get pretty wild during halloween and I would want the streets clear of all little ones.

This year has been particularly warm but there were many, many years where I didn't want to stay out past 8pm because it was so gosh darn cold. My Buffy the Vampire Slayer costume was NOT as warm as I thought it would be. Always forgot that show took place in California...
You know I'm going to ask... which season of the greatest show ever Buffy were you?

I can pretty much assure you that gang would 100% be kicked out. We can (and have) reached out individually to express disappointment and we hope they will have a change of heart.

Right, and that is where I struggle. We drive far, other gyms are farther and overall my daughter is very happy aside from this. And because nobody wants to be at the practice and they are still having it I do think it is likely that those who skip will be off the team for letting down their teammates. Grrrr. Still have fingers crossed they will cancel it!

I understand. It's easy to talk tough when you're not in that situation. I'm glad you are expressing disappointment and fingers crossed they will change their mind!

You know I'm going to ask... which season of the greatest show ever Buffy were you?

She had soooo many outfits but I was aiming for the later seasons. I am not a skirt/dress kinda gal and thats what she wore the most in the first few seasons. Once Riley and Co. came to town, I guess she discovered the world is easier to save when you're wearing pants?

Most of my friends didn't get my costume but older people did. I didn't really care, I thought it was the coolest. My dad even made me a wooden stake to complete the outfit :p Not sure if I'd be able to carry that around nowadays if I wanted to go as Buffy again. But I guess "Slay" is a popular enough term now that I cold just write it on a shirt, put on a cross necklace and call it a day?

Really wish I could pull off Dark Willow though. Oh my godddddd I would die.

She had soooo many outfits but I was aiming for the later seasons. I am not a skirt/dress kinda gal and thats what she wore the most in the first few seasons. Once Riley and Co. came to town, I guess she discovered the world is easier to save when you're wearing pants?

Most of my friends didn't get my costume but older people did. I didn't really care, I thought it was the coolest. My dad even made me a wooden stake to complete the outfit :p Not sure if I'd be able to carry that around nowadays if I wanted to go as Buffy again. But I guess "Slay" is a popular enough term now that I cold just write it on a shirt, put on a cross necklace and call it a day?

Really wish I could pull off Dark Willow though. Oh my godddddd I would die.
Dark Willow would be spectacular!
I went to a showing of Once More With Feeling over the summer where they had a live stage show accompany it. Was one of my favorite nights out. Every time Dawn said anything, the entire bar yelled “Shut up Dawn”. I wore my Sunnydale High School t-shirt and it was glorious.

Apologizes for hijacking the Halloween thread!

I’d never heard of trick or treat times before! In our area the really little kids start between 4/5 most everyone else starts around 6 and it starts ending between 8-9. We pretty much around here if the porch light is on they are giving out candy and once the light is off they are either not giving any out or they are done for the night. I’ve had teenagers come past 9 one year, I forgot to turn the light off so they knocked and then they told me there were other teenagers still out, they had waited for the little kids to be done first, but they were only going to houses with the porch light still on. I ended up leaving the light on a little longer had a couple more groups of teenagers come by then turned off my light and didn’t get any more knocks.

I coach a senior team who has regular weekday practice on Tuesday, so this year it falls on Halloween. We put the ball in their court. If everyone could make it to a Monday practice we would move it and they could have Halloween off. If they could not then it was practice as usual on the night they were supposed to be there regardless of Holiday. I thought this was a pretty fair way to handle it.

Back