All-Star High School Cheer A Sport In The State Of Kentucky?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The similarities (MHSAA competitive cheer and all-star) I was referring to were in athletic content. Some high school cheer is just sideline cheer without stunting or tumbling - which isn't a sport IMO and competitive cheer in MHSAA includes the athletic elements that classify it as a sport like Allstar is a sport.

I can understand why people hate it. I wish it wasn't broken down into the three different areas - and that it was to music, but that makes it easier to score the specific elements and get a good idea of voice volume I guess. I like it overall, but that is the kind of cheer I did and the type of cheer I coached before we really got involved with allstar. I don't think I could ever convince my CP to do that again though. She has done sideline cheer and our competition format was similar to the MHSAA format (except all of our cheer elements were in one round and we had a separate round for dance) and I don't think I could ever convince her to go back to that...

Although i will never go back to school cheer, I do understand why it was changed. when MHSAA changed high school cheer, they made up their own scoring. there's no grids or any of that. each skill is worth a certain number of points x's the number of athletes on the floor. This is ONE way of making cheer "a sport".

Now how do they say you can't do both? if they find out you are doing both they your team is disqualified?
If a HS team in IL is found to be breaking any of the rules (athletes competing with both school and AS at the same time, competing out of 'season', competing on a spring floor) the team can be disqualified from competing for at least the year. I'm not sure if they can tell them that they can't practice or cheer at games at all, though.

I hated every second of the MHSAA video.. Sorry, not for me.
I think its kinda cool to watch but I would HATE to have to actually do it. Tumbling and stunting are my favorite part of cheer and so little of that was in there. Plus I like music and the dancing. I think its more fun that way.

Back