All-Star High School Cheer A Sport In The State Of Kentucky?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Its the same as a high school football coach saying its illegal to play in a church basketball league, legally they can't tell you what you can do outside of a "school" related function. Now as for "rec" that isn't a public school activity so they are allowed to require different rules. Like an all-star coach can "require" different things than a "high school" coach can, does that make sense? I agree its done all the time on every level, all I'm saying is that "legally" a high school can't tell you what activities you can or can't be involved with outside of school, they can HIGHLY encourage or discourage, does that clarify? They can say it all day long, but it won't hold up in court.

As a school administrator and someone who has taken several courses on school lawa I disagree. Public schools and their associations do have some rights with respect to behavior that does not occur on school grounds - especially if they can prove that it has an impact on the school related activity. I would guess that each person who competes as a part of MHSAA has to sign a contract including a code of conduct in which the athlete agrees to abide by the regulations. An athlete might have grounds in court if they refuse to sign the contract/code of conduct... That is also why it is possible for athletes to be suspended from teams or other school activities if they are found to engage in underage drinking or other prohibited behavior even if it occurs outside of school time.

kingston said:
Now how do they say you can't do both? if they find out you are doing both they your team is disqualified?​

I've been out of it for a lot of years, but the IHSA says you cannot do both if the seasons intersect. I'm not sure if this falls for basketball, volleyball, softball, baseball, soccer, etc. I'd be interested to know that since "clubs" exist for those too.

In Maryland cheer has been a sport in a few counties for years(close to 15 I believe), most still don't regonize it so our state held competition isn't a true state championship. We have two season fall and winter and compete both seasons. We aren't aloud to practice or compete on Sundays and we aren't aloud to go to competitions that aren't state sanctioned. Recently though there was an idea floating around to set-up a tristate santioned event with VA and DE schools since they as well recognize cheer as a sport and can not compete at nationals either.

In terms of doing both school and allstar it is aloud your schedules just can not conflict. School must come first. What that means if you ever miss a school practice or game for something allstar related you much be removed from the team. There are usually a lot more allstar cheerleaders during fall seasons than in winter becuase that is when the allstar schedule is so competition heavy and you never know when an extra practice might be thrown in.

Their are benefits to both sides, being a sport or not. Being a sport does get you a little more respect with in the school and the other students, and then there are aloways those who still think it's just rah rah rah let me shake my poms. I've always hoped that somehow states that recognize cheer as a sport would get to still compete at nationals like NCA and UCA, and now with these other big names states with great programs regonizing it as a sport maybe something will come out of it. Not tomorrow but in the furture.

Yes our regulations state any team that puports to be an "all-star" team regardless of method of selection, but there is not prohibition on being on additional competitive cheer teams. Thus our teams and our gym titles do "puport" to be "all-star" teams.
Whoever wrote that rule did not do a very good job. That's like, the hugest loop hole I've ever seen. Works out well though

I am wondering if this could work like it would would when NCAA steps in for college cheer. Could these high school teams just stay clubs and still be able to travel to their large nationals (NCA/UCA) while the schools that have their teams become a sport have to stay in the state?

I don't understand it too much on the high school level because when I was in high school we got Varsity letters that were the same ones the football players got and our uniforms were paid for by the school, but it stopped there and we had freedom to compete wherever we wanted. Do most high schools not pay for their cheerleaders uniforms every few years and give them varsity letters without declaring it a sport in the state?

Whoever wrote that rule did not do a very good job. That's like, the hugest loop hole I've ever seen. Works out well though

We'll take it, although most of our girls who are also on high school teams do not compete in MHSAA so it doesn't really matter. The owner just wanted them to have the option just in case and until the loop hole is fixed (because I understand that a few all-star gyms in the area have done this due to the specificity in the regulation) we get by on a technicality.

I am wondering if this could work like it would would when NCAA steps in for college cheer. Could these high school teams just stay clubs and still be able to travel to their large nationals (NCA/UCA) while the schools that have their teams become a sport have to stay in the state?

I don't understand it too much on the high school level because when I was in high school we got Varsity letters that were the same ones the football players got and our uniforms were paid for by the school, but it stopped there and we had freedom to compete wherever we wanted. Do most high schools not pay for their cheerleaders uniforms every few years and give them varsity letters without declaring it a sport in the state?

What are Varsity letters awarded to? You can letter in band, yes?

I like the idea of a sport because it could be run by a head non-profit organization with set rules and cheerleaders in Michigan and cheerleaders in Georgia would compete the same thing. AND if done right (which I think is an August to November season) interfere the least with all-star and even compliment it.

Its the same as a high school football coach saying its illegal to play in a church basketball league,

It's not the same at all...it's completely different as football and basketball are two different sports that have different seasons.

The rule is the same as a high school basketball player not being allowed to play on a church CYO basketball team.

It's not the same at all...it's completely different as football and basketball are two different sports that have different seasons.

The rule is the same as a high school basketball player not being allowed to play on a church CYO basketball team.

As what high school cheerleading does and all-star cheerleading does are NOT the same how they can be classified the same?

As what high school cheerleading does and all-star cheerleading does are NOT the same how they can be classified the same?

in Michigan sideline cheerleading is not considered an MHSAA sport, but competitive cheer - which is similar to all-star cheer is considered an MHSAA sport.

A school or state athletic administrator is going to see the word "cheerleading" and they'll consider it the same thing.

Another point is that most schools/state athletic associations prohibit student athletes from participating in ANY sport in the same season, unless special permission is given. At our school the only permission given is for basketball (boys and girls) players and wrestlers to also participate in winter (indoor) track. I guess they don't feel it's a conflict.

There are a few schools in Indiana that have this rule. Does your school team compete? The potential conflict is the only reason I've heard for the rule.

Yes, we compete at IHSAA comps but from what I'm told that's not the reason. The school pays for the uniforms and includes cheerleaders in sports awards and banquets so i guess limiting "club" involvement just made sense Our all-star coach is the head coach for a high school that competes as well so we never schedule all-star comps on the same weekend as high school. I guess I just don't see where the school can tell you what you can and can not do in your spare time if it's not governed by a higher authority? I could understand if IHSAA said they couldn't do both, but the school putting limitations on it irks me.

Is it the school or the IHSAA that says you can't do allstar and school cheer? I also live in Indiana and I've never heard of this rule before.

It is not an IHSAA sport, so technically you can cheer in high school and on an all-star team. Our high school athletic director decided that he wasn't letting our schools cheerleaders do all-stars. Consider yourself lucky that you haven't heard of it!:). It certainly will diminish the talent pool!

I've been out of it for a lot of years, but the IHSA says you cannot do both if the seasons intersect. I'm not sure if this falls for basketball, volleyball, softball, baseball, soccer, etc. I'd be interested to know that since "clubs" exist for those too.

Works the same way for Illinois High School gymnastics. Once gymnastics season starts you may not work out with your club team or club coach. High School gymnastics season is Nov. 1- State around Feb. 15th. Club gymnastics competition season is primarily the same time, although you can still get in a club meet or 2 after HS season is over and still qualify for club state.

If a member of a HS gymnastics team is found to have competed club, had privates with club coach, etc. it could disqualify the whole team for that season and possibly the next season (I've even heard it could be up to 4 years, not sure on that one)

So I'm assuming the consequence would be the same for cheerleading in Illinois.

Back