All-Star How Far Would You Travel For Practice??

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Fly? Seriously? Can someone please explain this to me? I just don't get it. This is going to sound snarky, but it's not meant to be. Why in the world would anyone fly to cheer? It's not like you'll go pro and make a ton of money cheering. Gyms can't possibly be in that short supply, even if you live in Nowheresville. I get that people want to be on the "best" team but why not be great on a good team and have a life? Again, this is a serious question, not a snarky judgement.

I must comment on this. I strongly believe if you LOVE the sport & you want to continue this sport in college & were given the oportunity to cheer for an amazing team. WHY not do it? Yeah you could always settle for a gym thats 30 mins to an hour away to cheer. But if your the best in the gym, whats going to make you want more?! If you have the money to fly to each practice & you are keeping your grades up, commited, & your parents are backing you up 100%, Then go for it! You only live once...and you might as well live doing something you LOVE instead of settling for something that just "close". Another thing is, you may not be able to go PRO in cheer but you could be one Heck of a coach in the future making a living off of doing something you LOVE. Who wouldnt want that?!? But this is Just my opinion.

Fly? Seriously? Can someone please explain this to me? I just don't get it. This is going to sound snarky, but it's not meant to be. Why in the world would anyone fly to cheer? It's not like you'll go pro and make a ton of money cheering. Gyms can't possibly be in that short supply, even if you live in Nowheresville. I get that people want to be on the "best" team but why not be great on a good team and have a life? Again, this is a serious question, not a snarky judgement.
The only analogy I can make is human choice and condition. By this I mean....why drive a jag (like how I kept it cheer...:)...well..lots of people have high goals and love for cheer and they come from all financial places in their lives...if they can afford to fly...work hard trying to attain a goal....so be it. I cannot afford a lot of things but that does NOT make light of the people who can.....see? IMO

Ok, I came up with my own analogy after thinking about this. I suppose that it could be like athletes who move to train in hopes of making the Olympics. It still boggles my mind, but I suppose I could see the reasoning.

My cP can never have sleep overs either. She is in the gym Saturday morning and Sunday evening. She has a shirt that says " I can't I have practice" so fitting
Hahaha!!! We have that same shirt...and its sooo true!!

Must really like the coach...and I mean REALLY like the coach. Hahahaha!!! I couldn't do it:p

About 1 hour 45 mins one way and thats with light traffic. I do it because I don't mind the drive most of the time and the payoff is my son absolutely enjoys his teammates the coaches and I wouldn't have it any other way!! Also there is a few other parents driving their kids 2+ hours each way and for the same reasons!!:)

Was 2 hours one way 3x a week but we actually moved so my sister could join the team also:)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
I was just gonna ask if someone has moved to be closer to cheer. I'm thinking if my CP gets REALLY good and I would have to drive 3 or more hours 1 way. Heck I think I would move!!! Somewhere warm & with great cheer gyms:p

My cp is 6. We travel 1 hour and 30 mins. to our gym. She cheers on 2 teams there luckily her youth2 team practices on monday, her mini team practices on Tuesday, and her youth and mini team practice Thursday.
So the good news is we don't do weekends but driving 3 nights a week gets old. We don't get home until around 10pm and we cant really do homework in the car. I mean she is 6! She loves it and we drive thru Nashville to Clarksville and pass many gyms and some who place very well but she loves her gym and her coaches so its all worth it.
When she stops loving it I'll gladly give up my long nights!!

We also travel on Wednesday's 20 mins away to a tumbling practice but that's not too bad!!

My cp is 6. We travel 1 hour and 30 mins. to our gym. She cheers on 2 teams there luckily her youth2 team practices on monday, her mini team practices on Tuesday, and her youth and mini team practice Thursday.
So the good news is we don't do weekends but driving 3 nights a week gets old. We don't get home until around 10pm and we cant really do homework in the car. I mean she is 6! She loves it and we drive thru Nashville to Clarksville and pass many gyms and some who place very well but she loves her gym and her coaches so its all worth it.
When she stops loving it I'll gladly give up my long nights!!

We also travel on Wednesday's 20 mins away to a tumbling practice but that's not too bad!!
If your CP is your avatar (probably is, duh!!) but I would drive for her too. What a cutie!!!!!

I cheer for KEAS and that's basically the only gym around me & since I'm 17 I drive an hour, back and forth, 2-3 sometimes 4x a week. I don't mind though, I absolutely love my gym <3.

My sister drives about 15 mins...well now 20mins since she lives in a hotel being that her house burned down. I couldn't imagine having to drive 40mins-2hr for practices during the week. Even now I feel bad for her because she has allstar practice on Wednesday, privates every Tuesday, hs cheer practice M-Thur (although she doesn't go to the Tuesday practices)and some nights she doesn't get home until after 10pm and then stays up doing homework...shes in 3 AP classes. Its just a lot and I couldn't imagine long distance driving added into the mix.

Back