All-Star How Long Does Your Team Practice?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Well, our Hendersonville gym has 12 all star teams and loads of school teams. Our mini teams practice practice for an hour a week, and 1-4 practice a total of 4 hours a week. (or more depending on the need) They all have mandatory tumble, jump, and flyer classes. Our level 5 teams practice 4+ hours a week. Our school teams have 3 hour blocks. One day they will be in the gym for 2 hours and another day they will be in the gym for an hour. Our gym always has multiple classes running after 3:30. 6 or more classes or practices are usually running at a time. We coach and train the MAJORITY of the schools in Sumner County TN. That does NOT include the gym in Bowling Green KY or Columbia TN.
how good is the youth level 1 team at prime tyme? ;) my sister is youth 1 and will be competing against you guys this weekend at cheersport. :)

Mondays - 2 1/2 hours
Wednesdays - 2 1/2 hours

Our coach always schedules a weekend practice either Saturday or Sunday for 3 hours!

how good is the youth level 1 team at prime tyme? ;) my sister is youth 1 and will be competing against you guys this weekend at cheersport. :)

They are a typical youth level 1.. They are so talented and have so much potential and growth in their future... But hey, you will see tomorrow :)

How do all of these extra practices work? As a coach, I feel like if I just added a saturday practice when I thought we needed it I would only get half my team there....
They have always worked for me. My kids know what I expect out of them. I actually have an extra practice with my youth 2 this eveing from 6-9. We have also stayed extra this week for practice to make sure that they are prepared for tomorrow.

How do all of these extra practices work? As a coach, I feel like if I just added a saturday practice when I thought we needed it I would only get half my team there....

I had to LOL at this.. That is so true. Like on Monday we had a regular team practice, she said ok youth 2 we need an extra practice. Who can make what days. We had a semi disagreement but it all got worked out.. Some people are picking up others kids but they will all be there. All the parents understand we have a competition and they realize we need the extra practice. Funny thing is more people show up to extra practices then regularly scheduled practice.

Kris10boo said:
I had to LOL at this.. That is so true. Like on Monday we had a regular team practice, she said ok youth 2 we need an extra practice. Who can make what days. We had a semi disagreement but it all got worked out.. Some people are picking up others kids but they will all be there. All the parents understand we have a competition and they realize we need the extra practice. Funny thing is more people show up to extra practices then regularly scheduled practice.

Thats interesting..... With how busy families are, especially if there are other kids in other sports, etc, it amazes me that you can get everone there. We have done a couple extra practices over the years and is always a logical nightmare.

My iO6 team practices for 2 hrs on Sundays (we stay longer or leave earlier depending on what needs to be accomplished that day)
The team I coach practices 4 hrs/week with 2 hrs of addtional tumbling on Mondays.

Thats interesting..... With how busy families are, especially if there are other kids in other sports, etc, it amazes me that you can get everone there. We have done a couple extra practices over the years and is always a logical nightmare.

On our youth team attendance is never really a problem, they are just struggling with certain parts as their is a lot of new girls so they need an extra practice.

Our mini team had about 30 and we are down to about 25. They have the biggest problem with attendance. .. We have 6 to 7 stunt groups and there is always someone missing out of every group. We have never had all there on the same day. So she sent out an email and said she was adding an extra Sunday practice for 3hrs from now until she says so and she explained the attendance problem and said everyone needs to be there. Maybe people just like weekend practices better is why they are there but we have better attendance on those days for sure.

On our youth team attendance is never really a problem, they are just struggling with certain parts as their is a lot of new girls so they need an extra practice.

Our mini team had about 30 and we are down to about 25. They have the biggest problem with attendance. .. We have 6 to 7 stunt groups and there is always someone missing out of every group. We have never had all there on the same day. So she sent out an email and said she was adding an extra Sunday practice for 3hrs from now until she says so and she explained the attendance problem and said everyone needs to be there. Maybe people just like weekend practices better is why they are there but we have better attendance on those days for sure.

as a parent, do you ever get irritated that you have to rearrange your schedule to come to the gym for extra practice time becuase others don't show up to the regular practices? I'm a Program Director, Coach and parent of an athlete, and while the coaching side of me says, if we need extra practice- we need to schedule it. The parent side of me says that if other parents attendance issues are making it so that i have to add another practice every week, cutting into the little bit of family time we have, then i'm not going to be happy.

Six hours of team practice each week in addition to an hour outside of practice that each person must be in the gym to work on whatever they want.

as a parent, do you ever get irritated that you have to rearrange your schedule to come to the gym for extra practice time becuase others don't show up to the regular practices? I'm a Program Director, Coach and parent of an athlete, and while the coaching side of me says, if we need extra practice- we need to schedule it. The parent side of me says that if other parents attendance issues are making it so that i have to add another practice every week, cutting into the little bit of family time we have, then i'm not going to be happy.

Honestly, I don't mind extra practices. I know we spend more time on things because others don't show up to practice. Yes I do pay for this because my daughter loves this but I want them to be the best they can be. My cp genuinely cares about winning. She gets upset at practice if the kids play, some of the mini's can't stand still and do Roundoffs, handstands, and Backwalkovers while the coach is talking or showing them something. That is what upsets her because the coach will tell them we didn't get to do such and such today because I continually had to get y'all to listen.

So I do find myself getting frustrated or upset at practice but it's when my daughters stunt can't go in the air because her other base isn't there. Or when it's the same kids over and over that can't listen and their parents sit there and watch. I know I for 1 would of pulled my cp off if she acted the way some do.

Then I have to think about it and know these are mini's they aren't all going to act perfect. I do like the extra practices but it could be because I'm not married. & I don't work anywhere. My life revolves around making her happy; long as my daughter performs at school with her work and graded then I'll continually drag myself to do anything she wants to do.

Now we don't go to a large gym we probably have 125 athletes.. (I made that number up so I could be wayyy off) lol. I do drive the furthest though. I pass several other gyms on the way but I prefer hers. So for instance Monday at her youth practice when they said they needed an extra practice. I advised them I wasn't coming on Wednesday because my cp has a tumbling class at another gym. So I wanted a Saturday, since she already had an extra practice for her mini team on Sunday.. I could just come up Saturday for practice stay overnight at my moms and go to the Sunday practice. It costs me $25 a day to go to practice in gas... So they understood. All the parents ended up agreeing on the extra Saturday for youth. What's funny is my cp is practicing 6 out of 7 days a week. I drive further then anyone else at that gym and my daughter hasn't missed 1 practice! If we missed a practice I'd feel like if something happened with her tumbling or stunting at a competition I'd feel so bad!!

So if they aren't the least bit ready I'd want the practice to be scheduled in regardless if we are behind because of others attendance or should I say lack their of. I want my cp and he team to be successful so I'm perfectly ok with extra practices!

Back