All-Star How Many Full Outs?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I can't speak for other teams in my gym but my team usually stretches and whatever. Comp style warm up. A mark through then full out usually...then if something dosnt hit we have to Do it 3 times right away after. Then we also do stunt runs tumbling runs.. The most I've ever done in a single practice was 4 I think....between runs we clean or work timing and stuff so depending on what we have to work on depends on the layout of our practices. But more times then not its minimum 1 full out.

i would say how are teams run full outs.... but i shouldn't give away are secrets ;)

interesting. are we being cheeky or do you think a secret to your success is how you run full outs and if you were to speak of them and people knew their success would go up?

You know, as it's my first year coaching, I've constantly been trying things from my previous years cheering and what others do.
How I structure my practices: You have 15 minutes to stretch before practice, then they warm up jumps and tumbling like a competition. Then after that, they warm up stunts and do them together 3 times. After this, they do each section of their routine 3 times full out (opening, stunts, jumps/tumbling, pyramid/dance). After that, the kids usually do 3 full-outs if I'm in a good mood and they've done well. ;):p
May not work for everyone, but it's working for me. My kids are undefeated so far! :D

The two words that would bring cp to her knees "Stamina Training". This would involve the girls going full out and then running back to their starting positions and going full out again. If they hit they could mark the stunts but whatever stunts went down had to do them again. I think one time they did that 4 times in a row. they always had to do full out tumbling and jumps.
Worst day for cp was when they went full out and were scored, every deduction was 10 toe touches...needless to say we were there an extra 30 minutes while the team did over 200 toe touches! (They were able to stop for water but it was crazy!)

Do coaches expect at the extreme end of fullouts athletes to be able to hit the skills they do in the routine? Do they ever face the problem of thinking if this certain athlete can do their skills 6 times in a row no problem I can probably have them do more skills in the routine (or something harder)? What about the skills that are at the upper end of an athletes skillset (let us say they just learned a double a week ago and it is in the routine). Do you have them perform it fullout every time?

I have been studying multiple programs over the last few years through talking to other coaches, athletes who were at other programs, and athletes trying out for new programs who I have prior relations with. I have found a lot of how programs go full out tends to correlate with how they motivate their athletes (relying on fear of being replaced, internal motivation from the team, or being motivated by the coach).

our coach makes us do 2 and if 1 person dosent throw during one of the fullouts then that whole routine dosent count. we do 2 until we have everyone throwing all of their tumbling. then the people who dont throw, do 10 of their tumbling that they didnt throw and everyone else does 5 of their passes that we want to compete by worlds (hopefully) then after we do those, the stuntgroups that fell during the fullouts have 10 stunts they need to do and everyone else who hit only have to do 5

our coach makes us do 2 and if 1 person dosent throw during one of the fullouts then that whole routine dosent count. we do 2 until we have everyone throwing all of their tumbling. then the people who dont throw, do 10 of their tumbling that they didnt throw and everyone else does 5 of their passes that we want to compete by worlds (hopefully) then after we do those, the stuntgroups that fell during the fullouts have 10 stunts they need to do and everyone else who hit only have to do 5

Doesn't throw or doesn't land? Is the attempt more important than the execution?

Is that true a lot of places? Does the quality of the skill count towards the hit? Someone didn't fall out of a stunt but it looks janky do you still count that as a hit? (You meaning anyone not EC KELSEY specifically)

its everyone that just completley dosent throw their tumbling does 10. if you dont land then you do 5

and usually people on my team who had a janky stunt during the fullouts will do 10 just to be more confident on their skill.

Sometime we would do 2 fulls outs back to back, no break in between. That was pure death but it made the next full out seem way easier.We usually went full out 3+ times, that was for high school tho.

How early do you start running full outs, like month I guess? I think we would get our routine in July/August and then try to start running full outs possible at middle/end of September. I know it is prob different between all star and high school but I'm just curious.

i also find it very interesting.

From what I've seen/read/heard, World Cup does a very low number of full outs per practice. 2 seems to be considered a lot there. but there don't seem to be as many serious injuries. (of course, i don't know every kid on every team and I very well could be wrong.) I also don't see nearly as many braces on those kids as other programs (though, again, that could be psychological etc.)

on the other side of the coin, Cheer Athletics seems to do repetitive, high numbers of full outs per practice and you rarely hear about those kids being injured either. (other than the freak accident injuries)

i wish some organization/scientist out there would fund case studies. i volunteer to travel around to gyms and observe and track injuries.
You're correct about World Cup. We like to work sections and perfect them before going full out. If the full out was bad we will work sections that need the work. For the most part there aren't many injuries, knock on wood. I like the way we practice though, it works is hard but at the same time helps us work on technique :)

interesting. are we being cheeky or do you think a secret to your success is how you run full outs and if you were to speak of them and people knew their success would go up?

I think what beetle. meant to say is that the number of full outs is dependent on her coach's mood which can be, well, unpredictable. :oops: I like to keep people on their toes...my bad.

Anyways, it depends on the team. I think a big part of our success is our practice schedule. We practice 3 days a week, but we tend to have shorter practices than a lot of other gyms. As a result, my teams might do 2-3 full outs a night 3 times a week, but they go into them fresher than a team that runs 4-5 full outs a night twice a week. We tend to do less full outs if we have a longer break between competitions and are working new skills/stunts.

Man, I feel like I'm way too easy on my kids. I think part of me is paranoid about risking injury on kids just chucking skills if we go 3-5 times, versus 1-2. We usually switch things up and will mix up what we're throwing. One time it'll be all stunts and running tumbling, then all stunts and all standing, then all tumbling and stunt sequence, etc. If we can run the routine 6 or 7 times that way, and only do 2 fullouts, I feel a lot better about it.

Back