OT I Didn't Know Where Else To Put This. What Are Honors Classes Like In English For 8th Grade?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Did you read Night by Elie Weizel (spelling?) great book no matter what.
I'm my 8th grade honors English we read, Tex and other books by S.E. Hinton, she is an Oklahoma author so we had to read the home town books. I don't remember the others.
The Outsiders, maybe?

Outsiders was probably my favorite book growing up, I actually want to watch the movie right now or read it again!

I think we read it in 6th grade iirc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leafs a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

The only poem that I ever have been able to say completely by memory.
Hated that book. Hated the movie as well.

My brother however loved it and has "stay gold" tattooed on his chest.

We didn't have "honors" per se, but we did have a gifted and talented program that pulled kids from language arts/math classes between fourth and eighth grade and stuck them in a double-wide trailer-turned-classroom for a couple periods a day. I can't remember what we read in 8th grade, but I remember being angry that I essentially had to re-do it in 9th grade honors English.

Did you go to a private elementary school? Because this is exactly what mine was like except ours started in third grade haha. Ours was called "Quest" (which I still this is stupid) and when I transferred to a public school in 6th grade, it was called "peak" and it was 1-2 grades ahead of the "normal" classes. Then in 8th/9th grade (public school again) it changed to "honors" and then in high school, there was "advanced" classes for sophomores, duel credit classes for juniors and seniors (which I did), and AP classes for juniors and seniors (which I didn't do). I think there was also an AP world history class for sophomores but I didn't take it. I much preferred the duel credit classes because I didn't need to pass some dumb test at the end of the year to get credit, and it was ran more like an actual college class which I loved.

I went to plain ole public elementary school and I think the gifted and talented was Quest for younger kids K-3, and then in 4th/5th/6th was OMNI. You went during your regular class' subject block... for example, I was only in it for science so while my normal classroom teacher taught science, I left and went to the OMNI room and learned different science. I hated OMNI because none of my friends were in it and I hated science (go figure, that's all I do now. It's like they knew ;))

Intermediate school for me was only 7th and 8th and there were no "honors" per se, but there were Track 1 and Track 2 (they have a new name now since that isn't politically correct :rolleyes:) In addition to that, if you were "advanced" in math you could take high school level math classes and if you were "advanced" in English you started your foreign language requirement early in 8th grade instead of waiting until high school. I did that, so my freshman year I was in Spanish 2 with the sophomores (embarrassing at the time) and you were able to go up to Spanish 5/AP if you chose to stick with it. (The whole middle school infrastructure of my town has since changed so who knows what they do today)

CPs middle school does not even have paper text books anymore. All of their texts are online. She spends her hours doing homework asking Siri to help with research, on dictionary.com and similar sites in addition to their online texts. It drives me nuts because I am constantly concerned that she is finding the incorrect information. Everything we read in the Internet is true, right---

CPs middle school does not even have paper text books anymore. All of their texts are online. She spends her hours doing homework asking Siri to help with research, on dictionary.com and similar sites in addition to their online texts. It drives me nuts because I am constantly concerned that she is finding the incorrect information. Everything we read in the Internet is true, right---
I don't either, I find it really annoying. We have out textbooks online, and there's always that one person who's computer or iPad is flat. Looking up things on the Internet is difficult, because I either don't know what exactly to search or I can't find the right things. I end up using Wikipedia, because it's easy to find things, but it might not be accurate.

Did you go to a private elementary school? Because this is exactly what mine was like except ours started in third grade haha. Ours was called "Quest" (which I still this is stupid) and when I transferred to a public school in 6th grade, it was called "peak" and it was 1-2 grades ahead of the "normal" classes. Then in 8th/9th grade (public school again) it changed to "honors" and then in high school, there was "advanced" classes for sophomores, duel credit classes for juniors and seniors (which I did), and AP classes for juniors and seniors (which I didn't do). I think there was also an AP world history class for sophomores but I didn't take it. I much preferred the duel credit classes because I didn't need to pass some dumb test at the end of the year to get credit, and it was ran more like an actual college class which I loved.

No, I went to public school from k-12. They started to tweak with the name a little bit when I was enrolled--started as "GT Math/GT Verbal" or "Gifted"--and then they "oh but *every* child is gifted in some way" sentiment started creeping in, and I think it's just called "GATES" now. (Which means the same thing, except the "gifted" part is concealed.)

In high school, most core classes came in levels 2, 3, 4. (Except freshmen courses, which only came in 3 and 4.) "Level 4" is the equivalent of honors, but the school didn't formally refer to it as such. (Because feelingz and parents with teh sadz.) "Level 3" is what most normal districts call "College Prep." Ironically, due to the lack of level 2 options freshman year, the level 4 classes were PACKED with people who shouldn't have been there, but didn't want to be thrown in with people who shouldn't have been in level 3 either.

We had a lot of APs as well starting from sophomore year, but Maine didn't really do dual enrollment. This may have changed, as I am old.

YES! Haha, I am quite a fast reader but I HATE reading aloud. It always sounds really slow and nervous, as I am the "quiet achiever" type. I also hate oral presentations, because I have a nervous laugh and when I look at my best friend we both start laughing and can't stop. I hate when the teacher picks people to read because you can't understand, they're too fast or too slow. One of my teachers last year read SUPER SUPER SLOW and it was so boring! Another read SO FAST it was hard to understand. Reading alone is the best because people can go at their different paces that they can understand.
I know! I have a faster reading pace (I don't read super fast out loud, I'd say regular, normal pace), so I'd constantly get yelled at for being on the wrong page. It's not my fault I read fast! Lol

This is NOT how placement in gifted education is determined in ANY reputable school system. I was a gifted Ed kid, and CP is a gifted Ed kid. You don't just "get placed" in gifted because you make good grades. It is based on IQ testing combined with specific behavioral analysis to determine whether the child expresses personality and behavioral traits of a gifted child in ANY area. You don't have to be good at everything to be gifted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah, my school district isn't exactly amazing. Lol. They said in order to be in Gifted you have to excel in all subjects.

Wow....
I don't even have an iPhone. Heck, a year ago I didn't know what Siri was.
I always study from an actual textbook, haha.

At cps school they now have iPads for each student. They got a big donation from an alumni to buy them. Each student is assigned an iPad, they don't bring them home or anything but they have them all day at school. I think it's pretty cool.

This is NOT how placement in gifted education is determined in ANY reputable school system. I was a gifted Ed kid, and CP is a gifted Ed kid. You don't just "get placed" in gifted because you make good grades. It is based on IQ testing combined with specific behavioral analysis to determine whether the child expresses personality and behavioral traits of a gifted child in ANY area. You don't have to be good at everything to be gifted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:shimmy::shimmy::shimmy::shimmy::shimmy::shimmy:

Back