High School Let's Talk Socks...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't know how school teams pay so much for practice wear! Ours comes out to about 60.00 which includes 2 t-shirts, a tank, varsity track shorts and a bow. Our camp wear is also our practice wear.

For the year it is as follows: $225 for the summer program which includes 2 practices a week at a local all star gym with tumbling and choreography and 2 t-shirts and a bow. $280 for the year for practice and tumbling Sept - March (the girls really don't have a place to practice at school) so they go to the all star gym starting 3 days a week in September. $130 for required cheer gear (warm up and briefs) and about $75 for sneakers for competition. The girls can wear any all white sneakers for football cheer since they get dirty from the field and track. If you are on varsity and didn't buy a uniform top last year that would be another $110 (which is yours to keep) on top of the cost. So the total for the year is $710 without the varsity uniform top or $820 with it. Expensive!

I've posted this before (I was off by a bit)...my daughter is going in to 8th grade. We've always assumed she'd do HS cheer, but our school is $3500 for varsity (they're reusing the uniforms this year, so less for returners). I just don't think I can stomach it. It's the same price I pay for AS (although, HS is including the cost to go to nationals in Orlando...where they are not competitive at all).

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I've posted this before (I was off by a bit)...my daughter is going in to 8th grade. We've always assumed she'd do HS cheer, but our school is $3500 for varsity (they're reusing the uniforms this year, so less for returners). I just don't think I can stomach it. It's the same price I pay for AS (although, HS is including the cost to go to nationals in Orlando...where they are not competitive at all).

$3,500 is a lot....I thought ours was a lot but it's not close to that and we have 3 very competitive teams that goes to nationals. Do you all do any fundraising to offset any of the cost? Our fees are at least $1,000 less than that but it includes all apparel/bows, camp, team tumbling at a local gym for the year and Nationals with includes two days practice at a local gym in Orlando.....so we do get a lot for the money and the girls are encouraged to fundraise to offset as much of the cost as possible.

For the year it is as follows: $225 for the summer program which includes 2 practices a week at a local all star gym with tumbling and choreography and 2 t-shirts and a bow. $280 for the year for practice and tumbling Sept - March (the girls really don't have a place to practice at school) so they go to the all star gym starting 3 days a week in September. $130 for required cheer gear (warm up and briefs) and about $75 for sneakers for competition. The girls can wear any all white sneakers for football cheer since they get dirty from the field and track. If you are on varsity and didn't buy a uniform top last year that would be another $110 (which is yours to keep) on top of the cost. So the total for the year is $710 without the varsity uniform top or $820 with it. Expensive!
This is just the cost for the cp/parent. We are a competitive team and we fund raise so when we go to local competitions and Nationals it doesn't cost the girls anything except for spending money. We do car washes, bake sales, spirit wear, etc Our big fund raiser is our annual cheer competition which is where 90% of our funds come from.

This is just the cost for the cp/parent. We are a competitive team and we fund raise so when we go to local competitions and Nationals it doesn't cost the girls anything except for spending money. We do car washes, bake sales, spirit wear, etc Our big fund raiser is our annual cheer competition which is where 90% of our funds come from.
Dunbar also does a cheer competition, they call it the Cheerleader Nation Competition. How did you guys come to organize yours?

Dunbar also does a cheer competition, they call it the Cheerleader Nation Competition. How did you guys come to organize yours?
This is a competition that has been done from year to year so it is just passed on to then next person who wants to run it. Everything is kept in a binder and it is held at the high school. We have many parent volunteers who help run the concession stand/work the doors/help set up, etc. It is a well oiled machine that takes a village to pull off and everyone is exhausted when it is over, but last year we made over $24,000 and had over 70 teams participate.

This is a competition that has been done from year to year so it is just passed on to then next person who wants to run it. Everything is kept in a binder and it is held at the high school. We have many parent volunteers who help run the concession stand/work the doors/help set up, etc. It is a well oiled machine that takes a village to pull off and everyone is exhausted when it is over, but last year we made over $24,000 and had over 70 teams participate.
That's amazing!

Wow I thought paying $50 a year for new shoes was expensive....

We wore long socks a couple times. First time my freshman year we had an old school theme so we wore the classic knee high socks. The judges loved it so apparently my coach thought it should be a recurring thing :rolleyes: luckily we got a new coach my junior year who put the kibosh to that one.

Back spotting with socks is a nightmare. I'd have to put tape and hair spray on my hands so they'd stop sliding so much. I wouldn't let my flyer wear lotion or shave her ankle all season because my hands would slip so much.

We host a competition as well. It takes a lot of hard work and help from parents but it is an amazing fundraiser. Last year we made over $20,000, really helps bring down the cost of cheerleading!

Our cheerleaders spend about $1200 their first year to purchase 3 full uniforms ( shell, skirt, bloomers, body liner for each) a warmup, camp wear, shoes, socks, bows, camp fees ect. Subsequent years they will reuse 2 uniforms and purchase 1 new one, so the cost is somewhat less.

Are three uniforms really necessary? Not trying to criticize you or the coach, but I don't understand why one doesn't suffice. The whole "home and away" look doesn't seem as important for cheer teams as is it for other athletic teams.

I must be annoying everyone with my obsession with frugality but... I needed to ask.

Last edited:
Are three uniforms really necessary? Not trying to criticize you or the coach, but I don't understand why one doesn't suffice. The whole "home and away" look doesn't seem as important for cheer teams as is it for other athletic teams.

I must be annoying everyone with my obsession with frugality but... I needed to ask.
One is a problem during basketball season. Most weeks have 2 or 3 games, but some have four. Some of the gyms are really warm. I hang dry all the uniforms so if they need to get packed up to take to school, I would worry about being fully dry.

We have two uniforms. One in each of the main school colors.

One is a problem during basketball season. Most weeks have 2 or 3 games, but some have four. Some of the gyms are really warm. I hang dry all the uniforms so if they need to get packed up to take to school, I would worry about being fully dry.

We have two uniforms. One in each of the main school colors.

We have 2 but we have a football season one and a basketball/competition one. Do you hang them over a vent to dry? If you have one that would work, do that. That's what we do and it dries them quickly. If you wash it the night before and hang them then, they'll definitely be dry by morning

We have 2 but we have a football season one and a basketball/competition one. Do you hang them over a vent to dry? If you have one that would work, do that. That's what we do and it dries them quickly. If you wash it the night before and hang them then, they'll definitely be dry by morning

I have floor vents downstairs, but no easy way to hang over the floor vents. Both uniforms are the old polyester type. Hopefully, we won't have an issue. Most of the time, they should be home after school to get ready.

Thanks!

Back