All-Star Maryland--over Saturated With All Star Gyms?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Perhaps everyone can look at a map of the state of Maryland and re-visit this question regarding over-saturation. Does anyone know where Hagerstown and Cumberland Maryland are on the map? Western Maryland is NOT over-saturated, or really even so much serviced for upper level athletes, and a North Baltimore location is not easy to access from Frederick. Anyone who has attempted to drive into the Baltimore area on I-70 headed east to 695 during rush hour , aka practice time, knows heading south (towards Glen Burnie) is much more desireable as far as traffic patterns are concerned.

And New Jersey. South Jersey Storm is probably the biggest gym in the south of jersey and then star athletics or cc champs would be the furthest north with a worlds team.

Storm to Star Athletics is less than 100 miles/2hours
Storm to CC Champs is 115 miles/ just over 2 hours

In between there is - NJSE, Hamilton starz, jersey allstars, world cup, comet allstars, cja, evolution, nj heat, liberty, just cheer.

I would say all of them have at least 100 kids in their organization and world cup is over 500.

I believe (don't quote me on it) that Hamilton Starz is at or around 100, Evolution has about the same, including half year teams, NJ heat is definitely less than 75 because I've seen them compete small gym, Jersey is also a small gym so less than 75, Just Cheer and Star Athletics may be close to the 100 mark, Liberty has less than 60, unsure about AS1, but World Cup should be at around 900, no? The last count I heard was 850, and that was counting the Ocean gym when it was around. So, if all those kids stayed, it should be about the same plus some newbies, since Lazers and Meteors were added this year:)

I live in North Jersey, and I can get to:

Just Cheer, Star Athletics, CC Champs, Extreme within 15 min
Rams, CJA, SI Spirit, Premier, Liberty, The Cheer House, Comets, Evolution, Cheer Dynamics, NJ Heat within 30-45 min
Worldy Cups is about an hour:)

Judging by your calculations, it appears that all of the other gyms would be about an hour and a half to 2 hours from me.... that's pretty crazy, why aren't we seeing mergers? lol

Perhaps everyone can look at a map of the state of Maryland and re-visit this question regarding over-saturation. Does anyone know where Hagerstown and Cumberland Maryland are on the map? Western Maryland is NOT over-saturated, or really even so much serviced for upper level athletes, and a North Baltimore location is not easy to access from Frederick. Anyone who has attempted to drive into the Baltimore area on I-70 headed east to 695 during rush hour , aka practice time, knows heading south (towards Glen Burnie) is much more desireable as far as traffic patterns are concerned.

Hagerstown and Cumberland are quite a drive from Glen Burnie. Hagerstown Heat is probably the best option for teams out that way if you really have to stay in Maryland.
Our gym (super small in comparison) is about 1 mile from the Maryland Twisters. Would we love to be a program as large as the twisters? Of course. Are we sad to see people leave our family? Of course. But we also build solid skills and foundations for those people to move on to bigger programs that have more level 5 teams to offer and I am okay with that. Our gym was started when we broke off of a rec team. In that first year we only expected to have one mini team and wound up with 5 teams. The great thing about Maryland having so many gyms is there is a price range that fit in a variety of budgets. Our gym is what I would call... well, poor. Our families are not wealthy and are struggling to make ends meet. We offer a lot of fundraising opportunities for people to pay their fees. I take the time to go to clinics, become certified to teach tumbling, and make sure I stay as up to date as possible so my kids have the best all star experience I can possibly provide. And honestly, I am trying to submit a grant and write this at the same time so I lost my train of thought. I have no idea where I was going with this but too stubborn to delete it. Maybe the point was 'its nice to have so many options here in MD." ???

thats how it is back home. its like the cheer gym fairy sent all the storks to the godforsaken area of northeast ohio. now if you're looking for a gym with a good worlds team, thats a totally different story.... they aren't all exactly up to par with the whole level 5 thing yet, most of them are the teams you see at alllllll the locals....

And New Jersey. South Jersey Storm is probably the biggest gym in the south of jersey and then star athletics or cc champs would be the furthest north with a worlds team.

Storm to Star Athletics is less than 100 miles/2hours
Storm to CC Champs is 115 miles/ just over 2 hours

In between there is - NJSE, Hamilton starz, jersey allstars, world cup, comet allstars, cja, evolution, nj heat, liberty, just cheer.

I would say all of them have at least 100 kids in their organization and world cup is over 500.

yes new jersey definitely has lots of all star gyms! but at least there's lots of teams to compete against at local competitions :)

I think you're so right. There were a ton more teams in the area 10 years ago (random little ones all over the place) and I'd say like 5 years ago there were more local competitions than there are now for All Star. UMD used to have a competition that Twisters went to, but there were even more little competitions at high schools and Showplace arena, some places in Baltimore.. not so much anymore. There's Jamfest competitions, BATC, and Atlantis all within a 50 mile radius of Bmore throughout the season - if you're a gym why go to a small competition if you're going to face real competition at one of the other ones?

twisters wemt to 2 showplace competiotions and 2 umd cometitions this year :)

I believe (don't quote me on it) that Hamilton Starz is at or around 100, Evolution has about the same, including half year teams, NJ heat is definitely less than 75 because I've seen them compete small gym, Jersey is also a small gym so less than 75, Just Cheer and Star Athletics may be close to the 100 mark, Liberty has less than 60, unsure about AS1, but World Cup should be at around 900, no? The last count I heard was 850, and that was counting the Ocean gym when it was around. So, if all those kids stayed, it should be about the same plus some newbies, since Lazers and Meteors were added this year:)

I live in North Jersey, and I can get to:

Just Cheer, Star Athletics, CC Champs, Extreme within 15 min
Rams, CJA, SI Spirit, Premier, Liberty, The Cheer House, Comets, Evolution, Cheer Dynamics, NJ Heat within 30-45 min
Worldy Cups is about an hour:)

Judging by your calculations, it appears that all of the other gyms would be about an hour and a half to 2 hours from me.... that's pretty crazy, why aren't we seeing mergers? lol

i didn't know Rams were still around. I remember when they were St. Augustines.

and what ever happen to Devils, I thought they had a merger . I don't think i've seen them this season.

i didn't know Rams were still around. I remember when they were St. Augustines.
and what ever happen to Devils, I thought they had a merger . I don't think i've seen them this season.

Devils closed down.
Rams only competes locally, from what I know. Apparently they had a Senior Open 5 team this year, but I never saw them. I remember them as St Augustines too, when the girls used to do VULGAR dancing lol

Devils closed down.
Rams only competes locally, from what I know. Apparently they had a Senior Open 5 team this year, but I never saw them. I remember them as St Augustines too, when the girls used to do VULGAR dancing lol

lol i remember the "dirty - christina aguilara" dance.

Hagerstown and Cumberland are quite a drive from Glen Burnie. Hagerstown Heat is probably the best option for teams out that way if you really have to stay in Maryland.
Our gym (super small in comparison) is about 1 mile from the Maryland Twisters. Would we love to be a program as large as the twisters? Of course. Are we sad to see people leave our family? Of course. But we also build solid skills and foundations for those people to move on to bigger programs that have more level 5 teams to offer and I am okay with that. Our gym was started when we broke off of a rec team. In that first year we only expected to have one mini team and wound up with 5 teams. The great thing about Maryland having so many gyms is there is a price range that fit in a variety of budgets. Our gym is what I would call... well, poor. Our families are not wealthy and are struggling to make ends meet. We offer a lot of fundraising opportunities for people to pay their fees. I take the time to go to clinics, become certified to teach tumbling, and make sure I stay as up to date as possible so my kids have the best all star experience I can possibly provide. And honestly, I am trying to submit a grant and write this at the same time so I lost my train of thought. I have no idea where I was going with this but too stubborn to delete it. Maybe the point was 'its nice to have so many options here in MD." ???

Well said! Not sure what gym you are from but I agree! And thank you. I am the owner of Hagerstown Heat and while we struggle with our participation numbers, I strongly believe in quality before quantity. Unfortunately with Hagerstown being as small as it is, there are too many programs here. We are entering our 12th season. We have 5 other local programs around us who all broke off from us in one way or another. There used to be more. Hagerstown is a small area with less interest and less money than the city areas. I take what I get and make the most of it. And have been pretty successful. We are about an hour and a half west of Glen Burnie. I agree TOTALLY about the price ranges as well. My parents would never be able to afford to take their children to the Twisters. I love 'em dearly but they have a hard time paying our fees (which are extremely low). LOL All in all, I am proud ot have a gym in MD and I love all of our gyms! I wish there was only one program in Hagerstown but of course, it'd have to be HEAT cuz we arent going anywhere :)

Just to note, the Vipers set the bar high in terms of a ‘strength in numbers’ approach and creating a large-scale program to pool talent and gain community support in multiple regions, which is essential for a new, upcoming program. Other gyms in the MD area had no choice but to follow suit and expand, merge or acquire smaller gyms, merely to 'keep up with the Jones's'...so to speak.

isn't that kind of what everybody wants though? essentially, fewer small competitions, forcing everyone to go to bigger competitions and (in the end) less bids being given out...?

i mean, that's not necessarily what I'm for...just the vibe i'm getting from others in different threads.

Well locals have their purpose - they're cheap, relatively fast, and are good to take the whole gym to. But they also don't usually give out bids, do they?

Back