All-Star Maryland--over Saturated With All Star Gyms?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I wonder, though, what this will do for 'local' competitions. If programs begin to absorb/merge other programs, hypothetically the amount of different gyms shrink, so local competitions might shrink..(I'm trying to figure this out in my head, but my brain is mush)

I wonder, though, what this will do for 'local' competitions. If programs begin to absorb/merge other programs, hypothetically the amount of different gyms shrink, so local competitions might shrink..(I'm trying to figure this out in my head, but my brain is mush)

locals in general aren't that big. states is probably the only competition where you see mostly every program in MD. other than that... the most competition comes from regionals or nationals. in fact, i think the teams compete against each other more at NCA, BATC, Cheersport, Worlds than locally.

locals in general aren't that big. states is probably the only competition where you see mostly every program in MD. other than that... the most competition comes from regionals or nationals. in fact, i think the teams compete against each other more at NCA, BATC, Cheersport, Worlds than locally.
Wasn't sure how it worked in Maryland..good to know. I wonder if this might have a similar effect in other states, where we start to get mega-gyms/programs and you HAVE to compete at the big regionals/nationals in order to have competition.

Wasn't sure how it worked in Maryland..good to know. I wonder if this might have a similar effect in other states, where we start to get mega-gyms/programs and you HAVE to compete at the big regionals/nationals in order to have competition.

i think it depends on the program and if the focus is developing locally or nationally. there are a handful of big competitions in the area, so these gyms are fortunate to have a variety of high quality nationals and regionals at their disposal. i would take a guess and say that there are programs in MD that compete at more nationals/regionals/classics than locals.

we fill you, there was a post in another board we have like 10 teams in the inland empire so thats like 1hr away from each other im not suprised that some gyms arent neighbors -____-

i think it depends on the program and if the focus is developing locally or nationally. there are a handful of big competitions in the area, so these gyms are fortunate to have a variety of high quality nationals and regionals at their disposal. i would take a guess and say that there are programs in MD that compete at more nationals/regionals/classics than locals.
I think you're so right. There were a ton more teams in the area 10 years ago (random little ones all over the place) and I'd say like 5 years ago there were more local competitions than there are now for All Star. UMD used to have a competition that Twisters went to, but there were even more little competitions at high schools and Showplace arena, some places in Baltimore.. not so much anymore. There's Jamfest competitions, BATC, and Atlantis all within a 50 mile radius of Bmore throughout the season - if you're a gym why go to a small competition if you're going to face real competition at one of the other ones?

i could only dream of that here in upstate new york....can't one of them make a location up here?!

Amen! I Dont Know What Everyones Complaining About, Some Of Us Have To Struggle To Find Even A Mediocre Program, It Sucks! Plus You Can Never Have To Much Of A Good Thing :) "Oversaturated" ... How About "Finally Becoming More Popular" We Should All Be Proud That Cheerleading Is Finally Becoming So Big, We Even Have "Cheerlebrities" Now!! ... No One Complains About To Many Soccer Teams In The Neighborhood?

i could only dream of that here in upstate new york....can't one of them make a location up here?!

Amen! I Dont Know What Everyones Complaining About, Some Of Us Have To Struggle To Find Even A Mediocre Program, It Sucks! Plus You Can Never Have To Much Of A Good Thing :) "Oversaturated" ... How About "Finally Becoming More Popular" We Should All Be Proud That Cheerleading Is Finally Becoming So Big, We Even Have "Cheerlebrities" Now!! ... No One Complains About To Many Soccer Teams In The Neighborhood?

Cody beat me to saying that Columbus, Ohio has more gyms than I can name within a 30-40 minute drive. So it seems it's not too uncommon.

I don't think were over saturated at all! I live in Maryland and have had the privilege of working at so many different gyms across the state. In Maryland, although we are a smaller state, we have such a large talent pool it seems and only so many gyms to fulfill athletes needs. It will be great to have new locations and more spaces to work out of! I can't wait to see what 2012 brings for MD cheerleading!

isn't that kind of what everybody wants though? essentially, fewer small competitions, forcing everyone to go to bigger competitions and (in the end) less bids being given out...?

i mean, that's not necessarily what I'm for...just the vibe i'm getting from others in different threads.

Until a few years ago (and many buyouts) There were 7 gyms in Richmond/Chesterfield/Midlo VA with a 30 minute distance between all of them.

Idaho - Boise metro area - 300K total population. 5 gyms inside a 15 mile radius. Reedicuulous!!
If we have a mega gym we would have to travel every weekend to SLC, Utah (5hours) or Portland, Oregon (8hours) to create competition driving up high costs.... or stay the way we are creating small mediocre gyms that try to not compete against each other locally because the gyms are all competing for the same kids.

How much of gym success is due to being located in a high population area with in a 50 mile radius creating a large talent pool? Any positions on this theory?

I think we have a total of 10 gyms in the whole state of Connecticut...most are small gyms with well under 100 kids and only 3 gyms have level 5 teams..USA Wildcats, ECE and CT Spirit.....I think we are UNDERsaturated.

Back