All-Star Masculine Male?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Hmmmm...keep in mind that while I do support any male in the industry...feminine, masculine w/e the case may be...I personally have a distaste for those who take femininity over the top to the point where you become more of a spectacle or eye sore rather than contributing to the routine. But at the end of the day I blame that element on coaches, teach and train an athlete how they should act on and off the mat and from my experience they will follow suit.

i just see it as you work super hard to get trick passes to a double as a junior or senior aged athlete and then by the time you age out with the new intl scoresheet that doesnt really matter anymore.. it kinda would make you not want to bust your butt to get those skills if they arent really going to be matter that much anymore...

I don't understand why we have to not lets guys fly (etc) and bend over backwards to try to "increase" the masculine male population in cheerleading. If they are "scared" away, they're not going to change their minds now. Why do we have to try to enhance the masculine male appearance on the floor? Yes, they can do stunts, but these more feminine guys can stunt, tumble, jump, AND dance. (not saying a masculine guy always can't) But it's not fair to the other guys that they can't do certain things just for the industry to attempt to increase the football players just so they can take a knee during the dance.
The feminine guys can't really hold their own stunts, that's what this hold thing is about. Raising the number of co-ed stunts. I don't think trying to phase out the feminine male cheerleader is a good idea, though. There can be other approaches that can be taken. However, I think when they say "masculine", they're simply talking about the guy who discovered cheer and was an ex-football player and wanting to try something new in college.

Because honestly, back in the day with All Star cheerleading, the guys were strong enough to hold their own stunts and they worked the dances AND they could tumble. Now, it's more like it's slowly dying in all star cheer and the only time you actually SEE unassisted stunts is probably in Level 6 routines.

In terms of male cheerleaders, in my opinion, nothing is more "unfierce" than guys who plaster their sexuality across their foreheads during routines. They draw attention to themselves and take away from the overall picture. What's more impressive or "fierce" is when a male can stunt, jump, tumble, and dance their butts off, all with natural facials, and when he leaves the floor, no one can guess whether he's gay or not. That's the type of cheerleader who will break down barriers and make the 190lb. straight dude who secretly wants to cheer actually do it because he'll feel more comfortable.

I am all for expressing yourself...I am the opposite of conservative...but cheerleading is an All-American sport, and like it or not, there is a certain image that guys (and girls) need to portray. All-star cheerleading in particular is a performance sport..In a sense it's acting...so even though there is NOTHING wrong with being naturally effeminate, there is also nothing wrong with ACTING like you are a bit more masculine for 2:30 seconds of your life.

The feminine guys can't really hold their own stunts, that's what this hold thing is about. Raising the number of co-ed stunts. I don't think trying to phase out the feminine male cheerleader is a good idea, though. There can be other approaches that can be taken. However, I think when they say "masculine", they're simply talking about the guy who discovered cheer and was an ex-football player and wanting to try something new in college.

Because honestly, back in the day with All Star cheerleading, the guys were strong enough to hold their own stunts and they worked the dances AND they could tumble. Now, it's more like it's slowly dying in all star cheer and the only time you actually SEE unassisted stunts is probably in Level 6 routines.

This is sooooooooooooooooo not true! A lot of feminine guys can hold their own stunts...The point is, why do it when you don't score any more and take a greater risk? And other approaches I would like to hear.

In terms of male cheerleaders, in my opinion, nothing is more "unfierce" than guys who plaster their sexuality across their foreheads during routines. They draw attention to themselves and take away from the overall picture. What's more impressive or "fierce" is when a male can stunt, jump, tumble, and dance their butts off, all with natural facials, and when he leaves the floor, no one can guess whether he's gay or not. That's the type of cheerleader who will break down barriers and make the 190lb. straight dude who secretly wants to cheer actually do it because he'll feel more comfortable.

I am all for expressing yourself...I am the opposite of conservative...but cheerleading is an All-American sport, and like it or not, there is a certain image that guys (and girls) need to portray. All-star cheerleading in particular is a performance sport..In a sense it's acting...so even though there is NOTHING wrong with being naturally effeminate, there is also nothing wrong with ACTING like you are a bit more masculine for 2:30 seconds of your life.

No need to ACT masculine instead of anything else. Simply, don't try to enhance a routine by adding a shimmy, or a snap, or a hair flip!

No need to ACT masculine instead of anything else. Simply, don't try to enhance a routine by adding a shimmy, or a snap, or a hair flip!

Agreed, but you will have your male cheerleader who will argue that the shimmy, snap, or hair flip is just them being themselves, in which case, it might be time for them to put the acting skills to work.

Agreed, but you will have your male cheerleader who will argue that the shimmy, snap, or hair flip is just them being themselves, in which case, it might be time for them to put the acting skills to work.

A coach may just need to lay down the rules. I'm sure some girls would love to wear camisoles to school with soffees, but some school dress codes don't allow it. I'm sure these girls are still themselves :)

A coach may just need to lay down the rules. I'm sure some girls would love to wear camisoles to school with soffees, but some school dress codes don't allow it. I'm sure these girls are still themselves :)

I don't think you can compare an outfit to someone's innate personality and performance habits, but I get what you're saying...Coaches need to prevent what we're discussing here. Unfortunately, you see a lot of male coaches who shimmy, snap, and do hairflips....and this is just in the warm-up room! ;)

I would be more impressed with Coed Full Ups or even tossed cupies and Less tumbling - Then amazing tumbling with tossed hands extensions...

As a homosexual, I even get annoyed with the excessive runway walking, shimmying, hairflipping, and snapping. So you hairflip once after your tumbling pass, young man, I can deal with that. But I don't need to see you turn the routine into a vogue battle/drag show.

I think that yes it would be nice to have more boys you can stunt unassisted. But, as a gay man who cheered it was nice andmuch needed to be in a sport that is perfomance based were i felt safe to perform they way I wanted to. This discussion is just going to make all the boys who run to cheer as a safe haven not feel safe any more. So I agree with needing those masculine boys, but not at the cost of making the boys conform to what society deams as normal. Cheer should be accepting of all kinds of people because who knows if they didnt have this venue to stomp and vogue who knows what would happen to these highschool boys.

Why is how a boy acts on the floor even an issue? If a boy wants to shimmy/snap/wmh after a tumbling pass, let them.
If they wanna fist bump, let them.

My problem is that this is a discussion, not between cheerleaders, but an NACCC. That changes everything.

nobody wants to see a guy act like a girl on the floor, it's distracting and a lot of those boys who think they're being "fierce" when performing are just drawing negative attention and taking away from a routine.

I don't think there's anything fake or annoying about the more feminine guys putting on a show. It is a release and an outlet for their pent up emotion and desire to entertain and act that way, it's the reason they do it! I know a few gay male cheerleaders and they would crawl into a hole and die if they couldn't cheer. It's their life and when you think about what they endure to be a cheerleader when it comes to insults and well worse for some, I think they deserve our full support as a community. I mean we're all a big team who supports each other in a positive, safe, welcoming enviornment that doesn't seem to exist anywhere else outside the home, and for some of these boys the home isn't always the happiest place either.

There has to be a place for the feminine boy in cheer no matter what. I'm all for bringing in different types of people but we can't be trashing a group that LOVES the sport in order to bring in some guys who are just looking for something to do and happen to be strong. There are plenty of sports for the big manly guys to participate in, how many are there for lean feminine guys?

I think there's a place for both though and that's what makes our sport so amazing and unique.

Back