All-Star Masculine Male?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

nobody wants to see a guy act like a girl on the floor, it's distracting and a lot of those boys who think they're being "fierce" when performing are just drawing negative attention and taking away from a routine.

What sport are you talkin about XD

"flamin' around, hair whippin', cutie booty boys" was I believe how it was described... which I hysterically laughed at.

My daughter and I just had this discussion. When she was on a junior team many years ago, senior coed had the big guys and we both miss seeing them. I do enjoy the coed teams now - the guys can really tumble, but it doesn't compare to seeing those massive bodies just doing a standing back tuck. And the guys at her gym did not take a knee during the dance. They were just as fierce as the boys today!

My Level 6 team has lots of those guys. They all dance, my coach won't let them out of it, and it's really fun to watch them try to do all the motions.

I think this whole discussion goes back to the root of TUMBLING... since tumbling has become the most important thing in our sport (many would argue this, I'm sure)- i.e. A team could hit level 4 stunts with no problem, but maybe only have 5 standing tucks... oh well, sucks for you.. now you're level 2-3. A team can no longer be competitive anywhere without majority tumbling, yet many teams are winning their divisions without having to max out in stunts, simply because they have alot of tumbling.

I like the fact that the international scoresheets have reduced the importance of tumbling, and I would argue that a change like that to all of the levels would help a lot of gyms get their numbers up, give us stronger stunting all around, AND allow for more stunt strong guys to find a place in allstars.

Back in the day, we were stunting much more clean and solid AND still showing difficulty, but were not as concerned with the guys tumbling. You also see a difference in all-girl too... I was never taught that "front" was an actual stunt position. You were either a back, a flyer, a base, or you werent on the team. Now, everyone and their mom is using fronts to hit more difficult stunts. I think if we're going to add a clause about unassisted stunts, that should include not using fronts in all-girl groups!

As a guy who cheers I don't like when guys act ridiculous on the floor. If you're doing more than all the girls, it's too much in my opinion. It's bad enough that boys are taunted for just participating, boys acting like girls will only make the situation worse. Last season a guy competed at UCA nationals wearing a girls uniform ... where do we draw the line? I don't want to be associated with any of that.

Why are we assuming that femanine guys can't partner stunt?

assuming, no. there are exceptions to EVERY rule.

on average though id be willing to bet im more likely to get a standing double than a double up.

I don't think there's anything fake or annoying about the more feminine guys putting on a show. It is a release and an outlet for their pent up emotion and desire to entertain and act that way, it's the reason they do it! I know a few gay male cheerleaders and they would crawl into a hole and die if they couldn't cheer. It's their life and when you think about what they endure to be a cheerleader when it comes to insults and well worse for some, I think they deserve our full support as a community. I mean we're all a big team who supports each other in a positive, safe, welcoming enviornment that doesn't seem to exist anywhere else outside the home, and for some of these boys the home isn't always the happiest place either.

There has to be a place for the feminine boy in cheer no matter what. I'm all for bringing in different types of people but we can't be trashing a group that LOVES the sport in order to bring in some guys who are just looking for something to do and happen to be strong. There are plenty of sports for the big manly guys to participate in, how many are there for lean feminine guys?

I think there's a place for both though and that's what makes our sport so amazing and unique.

If I could shimmy this a thousand time, I would:)

assuming, no. there are exceptions to EVERY rule.

on average though id be willing to bet im more likely to get a standing double than a double up.

Do you work double ups? I didn't think I'd ever be able to partner stunt, but once I started really working on it as hard as I worked my tumbling I discovered I had the ability.
I think the issue is less with femininity/masculinity and more with how allstar cheer doesnt work partner stunts. Unless you're going to college cheer you rarely work partner stunting.

If NACCC wants partner stunting skills to go where they once where (and from what I've heard I think thats the main issue), then they should focus less on how a boy acts on the floor, and more on encouraging gyms to work partner stunting.

Maybe put it in a separate section on the scoring sheet?

Do you work double ups? I didn't think I'd ever be able to partner stunt, but once I started really working on it as hard as I worked my tumbling I discovered I had the ability.
I think the issue is less with femininity/masculinity and more with how allstar cheer doesnt work partner stunts. Unless you're going to college cheer you rarely work partner stunting.

If NACCC wants partner stunting skills to go where they once where (and from what I've heard I think thats the main issue), then they should focus less on how a boy acts on the floor, and more on encouraging gyms to work partner stunting.

Maybe put it in a separate section on the scoring sheet?

I do not work double ups anymore, but I may have hit 1... once.

The frustrating thing is you are getting upset about the principle of it all. If the idea was to exclude, kick out, get rid of feminine males in this sport I would actually be upset myself. That is a part of what helps make this sport unique and interesting.

But what those coaches are talking about is how to protect what you like about cheerleading, while expand it to incorporate others. In fact the two males mentioning this idea do not have a problem with alternative lifestyles. They aren't trying to kick anybody out.

There is no high horse. There is no secret conspiracy. There is just the plain fact that cheerleading needs more boys. Since we have exhausted one type, changing scoresheets to include (not replace.. read NOT REPLACE) another type is not a bad thing. No one is taking anything away from you.

Well, I would like them to take away the ability to ask about lip tattoos in allstar, but I guess thats up to myself.

I do not work double ups anymore, but I may have hit 1... once.

The frustrating thing is you are getting upset about the principle of it all. If the idea was to exclude, kick out, get rid of feminine males in this sport I would actually be upset myself. That is a part of what helps make this sport unique and interesting.

But what those coaches are talking about is how to protect what you like about cheerleading, while expand it to incorporate others. In fact the two males mentioning this idea do not have a problem with alternative lifestyles. They aren't trying to kick anybody out.

There is no high horse. There is no secret conspiracy. There is just the plain fact that cheerleading needs more boys. Since we have exhausted one type, changing scoresheets to include (not replace.. read NOT REPLACE) another type is not a bad thing. No one is taking anything away from you.

Well, I would like them to take away the ability to ask about lip tattoos in allstar, but I guess thats up to myself.

Why does it matter how many boys are enrolled in the sport at any time. Cheer, like all sports, will eb and flow. Its not surprising to me that coming out of a recession that less boys enrolled. Girls tend to be more dedicated on the whole. I think we should just continue doing what we've always done and let things fix themselves.

Also, I broke no posting rules when I asked for peoples opinions. This is a forum for the cheer obsessed. I wanted an opinion that only cheer obsessed people could accurately provide. There was once a *HUGE* thread where people showed off their tattoos that weren't even cheer related. Why isn't that poster getting backlash but I am?
This board is for cheer obsessed people to meet and communicate with one another. Dont like how Im using it? Dont read my threads.
kthanxbye

Why does it matter how many boys are enrolled in the sport at any time. Cheer, like all sports, will eb and flow. Its not surprising to me that coming out of a recession that less boys enrolled. Girls tend to be more dedicated on the whole. I think we should just continue doing what we've always done and let things fix themselves.

Also, I broke no posting rules when I asked for peoples opinions. This is a forum for the cheer obsessed. I wanted an opinion that only cheer obsessed people could accurately provide. There was once a *HUGE* thread where people showed off their tattoos that weren't even cheer related. Why isn't that poster getting backlash but I am?
This board is for cheer obsessed people to meet and communicate with one another. Dont like how Im using it? Dont read my threads.
kthanxbye

if i dont like how you are doing it i can just delete your user :)

wow someone is getting mighty upset over nothing at all. I don't think King is the person to tell "don't like how i'm using it? don't read my threads." It was actually really rude.

Seems as though things are being taken very personal when they shouldn't be at all. You opened a can of worms when the threads were made and now this is how things are playing out. Didn't want to hear the things people are saying? Easy fix, don't make threads.

Ps. The tattoo thread is in the random section, where it has been, not in the all star section.

Back