OT Mcl/acl Tear

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Oh I know, I'm growing to absolutely hate insurance companies. They pretty much control what I can and can't do in regards to treating patients, it's really frustrating.[/QUOTE]
I have a few friends who are doctors (my step brother is too) who have stopped practicing altogether because of the restrictions/rules placed on their practices. My son's pediatric neurologist/developmental pediatrician went into private practice because she was sick of how she could not spend time with her patients. How she was pressured into seeing so many patients an hour. Again, luckily, we can afford to pay for our appointments with her out of our FSA account because she is no longer considered a preferred doctor.

My daughter is 95% back to her self. She had miniscus surgery Dec 2013 2013 and ACL Feb 2014. The only thing she cannot do is fly. She will not double again but has her front punch and 3 to a full again! I thank god we had insurance! Do PT, listen to your Dr, and most of all don't rush anything!

MRIs are paid for here but doctors are really really difficult in referring patients to get them done. I had to fight for 6 months with my old GP to get an MRI for my back because I have so much pain and can't tumble anymore. I quit in June and am no longer cheering but now I dance and can't do that either because I kind of need my knee for that lol

I'm going to PT on weds so I'm going to see what they say. My knee keeps cracking too and I have no idea why so hoping they can give me some insight into that because it's really annoying. Also Advil and ice aren't doing much for the pain so hoping pt will help but probably not right away. When the GP (PCP) was checking my knee and manipulating it a bunch of ways it hurt a LOT after [emoji107]my PT is covered though which is great but I'm just frustrated that my GP doesn't get that I'm still pretty active even if I don't compete anymore ...

What's really eating at me too is that I can deal with pain. I competed 2 weeks after broke my ankle (I was told it was just a sprain-I'm not that stubborn) and that hurt...a LOT but at least I got a really sturdy brace that let me get through it. I went out today and my knee is in a lot of pain just from just walking around.. How is a tensor bandage supposed to do anything when it doesn't give me any support what so ever...

So, I went to PT and he was very thorough with the assessment. Thinks I definitely tore my MCL and is 50/50 on whether or not I tore my ACL as well. He said a lot of the tests for ACL pointed to yet but not all of them were a yes so for now we are going with yes for when I go to physio. For the first treatment he did these suction cup things that kind of feel like a tens machine but it wasn't, also ultrasound and ice. Then they showed me exercises to do at home but they don't really seem to be helping. I had to run errands today and I didn't even do that much walking and my knee hurts like a son of a gun. He also recommended I get a knee brace but the one he recommended, bauerfeind genutrane, isn't even for mcl/acl tears. I'm also very active still and do a lot of different sports/activities come spring/summer. What does everyone else use brace wise? I want something that is open and light. Also, he said that we'll see how PT goes for a few weeks and then he'll re-assess to see if an MRI is needed.

The brace I had was one that was able to adjust depending on how much movement my PT wanted me to have(post surgery it was locked straight, week by week they allowed more movement until my knee was strong enough without it). It wasn't the most light weight or the prettiest but it definitely helped with making me feel more secure.
eee5aa3ef16fe15a89dd6141c34491fa.jpg

(Sorry about the random picture size, the only one I had was part of an instagram post)

The brace I had was one that was able to adjust depending on how much movement my PT wanted me to have(post surgery it was locked straight, week by week they allowed more movement until my knee was strong enough without it). It wasn't the most light weight or the prettiest but it definitely helped with making me feel more secure.
eee5aa3ef16fe15a89dd6141c34491fa.jpg

(Sorry about the random picture size, the only one I had was part of an instagram post)
Do you compete and work out with that? Seems a bit bulky? Or is it light?

Do you compete and work out with that? Seems a bit bulky? Or is it light?
I was able to work out in mine and if it was something like an exercise bike I could take it off. Here's a girl on Panthers who tore hers before worlds. She had surgery but is back competing in what looks like a more activity friendly brace that still has the support. I would look for one like this.
ed281555248dfa38757198ff002a8ca1.jpg

That's what I was looking for something a bit less bulky :) I'm not sure if my insurance will pay for it though..hoping they will.

Both my CPs tore their ACL's weeks apart from each other and they both got braces after surgery and PT like the girl on panthers. The brand name of the brace is don joy and they love it!!!
cbc002fbb69253b28de5a3d20ca1841c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both my CPs tore their ACL's weeks apart from each other and they both got braces after surgery and PT like the girl on panthers. The brand name of the brace is don joy and they love it!!!
cbc002fbb69253b28de5a3d20ca1841c.jpg

Notice the caption in that picture. "Without a prescription". If you have had reconstruction, you will have a script for a brace. Most of the time, it is the Don Joy Defiance, and it is MUCH better than the one in the pic. "Off the shelf" braces just don't fit correctly. The Defiance is custom fit (Don Joy rep comes to fit it custom). You can get team colors, and it kinda "Becomes part of the leg" once you get used to it. Beware... it is also about $1200, so run it through insurance.

Notice the caption in that picture. "Without a prescription". If you have had reconstruction, you will have a script for a brace. Most of the time, it is the Don Joy Defiance, and it is MUCH better than the one in the pic. "Off the shelf" braces just don't fit correctly. The Defiance is custom fit (Don Joy rep comes to fit it custom). You can get team colors, and it kinda "Becomes part of the leg" once you get used to it. Beware... it is also about $1200, so run it through insurance.
My PT said he will write my GP to write a prescription. I was told by two people who work for an ortho place that they're pretty sure my insurance *may* only cover something that's hinged and the one my PT is recommending is not. I'd rather the donjoy that more people use and rely on. My pain just keeps getting worse though and I feel like this is a problem lol I can't even walk around to do errands without it bothering me.

The custom fit is the one my girls have but I thought the poster said without a script and not expensive, hence why I didn't suggest the custom fit one.

Apparently my insurance won't cover a brace at all for a tear injury since it's not "permanent" and needed all the time. So looks like I'll have to pay out of pocket. There is the donjoy female fource and it's an off the shelf type like the custom one sort of so may look into that. Need to win the lottery lol ugh...

Back