My Daughter Wants To Fly. Suggestions?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Thanks! I appreciate your caring. She is more than okay with this decision. Alarmingly so! I think I'm more upset because I wanted to see her on the mat one last time - even though she hasn't been emotionally on it all year. It was hers to make and she has many other activities that top her list. I worry about the girls who put all their being into one thing. Some of her friends had that happen when the 'restructuring' took place at team calls. I still talk with them and encourage them to find something to put their energy into. At least we had a few years to mentally move out of the cheer world. I can't imagine having your position pulled from underneath you (literally).

But seriously, I'm going to suggest my old school use your quarter analogy for their theme next year. All kids K-6 can grasp it and our creative teachers can come up with visuals to accompany it. Thanks for that! I'll make sure you get credit for the idea.:shimmy:

Your mission is to tell this story to my little but this weekend. She won't listen to me if I tell her. And I love this story :)
Great message...my almost 15yo could use to hear this message as well... she is really at the age where Mom knows nothing...

My daughter has been a flyer for over 6 years. She is 11 and is 4'11" and weighs about 90lbs. She is not big, however our team tends to put the little girls up in the air as you are saying. Some of that also has to do not as much with the flyer's capabilities as to the bases available. She has solid level 3/4 flying skills and has her needle in the air. She is basing this year on a S4.2 team. She really wants to fly. Honestly, she probably should be - however - I told her that sometimes just having the skill is not enough. Sometimes a really good flyer can also be the best base / back because they understand what it takes to hold yourself up. Sometimes you can be the better in a certain position, but maybe the other person can only do that position and you can contribute to the overall success of the team elsewhere (which as a coach is usually more appealing anyway).
I guess what I am saying is keep your daughter in the classes learning everything she can about flying. But please remember that just because the flyer gets the most pictures at the competition in the end it is about how you fit into your team and what you contribute overall. Flexibility and performance are important in all aspects of cheer.

Also know that a base at one gym may be a flyer at another gym. So if that is what is most important to her she may want to consider other programs... but the grass is not greener.

Seem like she is on her way to a successful All Star season ;)

Personally have one cheer mom friend that openly states her CP cheers at a specific gym just so she can fly. All she and her CP care about is that she flies, not about the rest of it. The mom and CP are happy, so. . .

Personally have one cheer mom friend that openly states her CP cheers at a specific gym just so she can fly. All she and her CP care about is that she flies, not about the rest of it. The mom and CP are happy, so. . .
If they are happy that is great. I am sure they are using the gym and the gym in turn uses that athlete for her skill. That being said, I am not sure what you are teaching your child about being a team player if you move around so they get what they want. With the obvious exception of the amazing athletes in our sport, the majority of girls are extremely good athletes that love cheer. While glad your friend's daughter found what she loves, she is making the sport all about her and her child, not about the sport. No right or wrong answer really, just a different philosophy... I also get concerned about people like that because while not wrong, they can tend to be the ones that will blame the base and back spot all the time and not take responsibility for the group as a whole and their role in it unless they are the focus.

There always seems to be too many flyers and not enough strong bases at some levels. I have also seen people go to other gyms to become flyers...to each their own but choosing a gym just for that reason just doesn't seem to make sense.

I currently have a 10 year old in her first year doing all star cheer. She has a dream of wanting to fly and is pretty flexible. We have been taking flyer classes and she seems to be doing alright. She has no fear of being in the air and is holding decently considering she has only went to 4 or 5 classes. My question is her size. She wanted to fly for her team this year and basically was told she is too big and is "built like a base"....My daughter is by no means fat but she is very muscular because of her constant tumbling and being so active. Most of the girls they have flying are very skinny but have problems staying in the air ex. constant falling and lack of flexibility. She is currently 4"6 and weights 73 lbs. So does this seem like a deal breaker? Even if she is perfectly tight in the air and flexible would her size prevent her from being chosen? She is under the impression if she keeps working at it and gets it perfect they will let her fly :( I just don't want her to be crushed. She is already asking me if she is too fat. I hate that she feels this way especially since she is no where near fat, shes perfect. Either way I don't think she will fly for her current gym due to their belief size is most important. Any thoughts?

I'm that way too. I have this dream of flying yet I know it won't happen because the coaches have this image set in their heads that I'm too big to fly. I do have a lot of muscle and almost nothing on me if fat. I work on my flexibility anytime I can. Basically I'm waiting for college cheer. In your case though college is a way away so I would tell her to keep working on it and don't get discouraged because the opportunity WILL come up eventuality and she will need to be ready for it.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I have 3 daughters that are 16, 11, and 6. Now my 11 yr old started all star at the age of 4 and was on a mini 1 and she was a "flyer". I don't like putting emphasis on weight, ect as a ex competitive figure skater that can destroy self esteem. But, for ex..my oldest daughter is extremely muscular and actually has never had any desire to fly! Every person on the team is just as important and yes, I understand that your daughter wants to fly but I would empathize that being a base or back spot is just as important. Also, I strongly am against flyer's class for any child that has not had a ton of experience. I had compete faith and trust in my ex gym owner, but my middle daughter spent 3 years (recommended) in flyers class. Well yes she did develop skills, but since she wasn't flying with her team mates, just coaches she did not have confidence or faith to go up. Needless to say, after many yrs we are at another gym now, taking the season off to work on things, which has made me the mean mom!!!! But I still look at it like this...I'm not the owner/coach and trust in them to place your child where they belong!!! There are many years ahead!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My daughter is flying on her youth team and she is as big or bigger than 90% of her team. But she is tight and confident so they use her. We have a very young youth team ( average age is prob 8-9) so she has been a base as well and actually likes to do it. Just be open minded, you never know she might like being a base or back spot better.

The most solid group on our youth level 2 team is a group that is roughly all the same size. Every girl in that group is probably within an inch of each other and I'd say that they're likely within 10 pounds of each other. They're all very small and athletically built, and their stunt is beautifully done and nearly technically perfect. They have had to work a little harder to get those skills but they look phenomenal and I could watch them stunt all day.

Do Molly Gibbons, Erica Englebert, Gabi Dinsbeer, Maddie Gardener and Kiara Nowlin look like stereotypical flyers? Nope. But they do an awesome job at it. I think your daughter has an awesome shot at it. If this coach doesn't see her as a good fit, then hopefully another will. I wish her the best! :)

Last edited:
I am 14 turning 15! I am 4' 11" tall and 80 pounds so I am an automatic flyer

Not necessarily. CP is a peanut of a thing, too, but she's also a great little base. Size does not equal stunt position.
I agree but with my teams dynamics I am the youngest, smallest(weight and height wise) and am the most flexible! Everybody else has their spots.

Back