All-Star Nca 2017

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If they're a crossover and have to travel the day before or compete late on the last day, they have to stay Thursday to Tuesday. Yes, we all know cheer's expensive but we shouldn't be trying to make it even more expensive. If they're a mini or tiny, their whole gym won't be at their comp unless they're close to Arlington or can afford to just fly out to cheer them on. I could not handle a little bit looking up at me with sad eyes asking "why aren't the big girls here :("
That just made me really sad :(

NCA won't move anytime soon. It would be nice if they just split NDA off to another venue nearby (like the Trade Center just N of Kay Bailey). While it sucks for parents with more than one kid, it completely kills Senior 5 finals. If my kid competes on Friday/Saturday, we are not staying around to watch finals on Monday. I think they will see a huge hit in their profit and goodbye days of the whole arena blowing up during Large Senior. :-(

NCA won't move anytime soon. It would be nice if they just split NDA off to another venue nearby (like the Trade Center just N of Kay Bailey). While it sucks for parents with more than one kid, it completely kills Senior 5 finals. If my kid competes on Friday/Saturday, we are not staying around to watch finals on Monday. I think they will see a huge hit in their profit and goodbye days of the whole arena blowing up during Large Senior. :-(

Im down for them making NDA a whole different weekend and keeping NCA Fri-Sun with Tiny and Mini teams still getting to compete the same weekend.
They will still make tons of money with NDA is on a separate weekend.

I remember hearing something about NDA actually getting moved for 2017

I wonder if they actually decided to change the location for it since they haven't made any other announcements

I see what you are saying but I think it is the same either way. You have a day before you compete and a travel day after. So either way everyone is missing 2 weekdays.

Compete Fri/Sat - Missing Thursday, Friday
Compete Sat/Sun - Missing Friday, Monday
Compete Sun/Mon - Missing Monday, Tuesday

NCA doesn't allow crossovers outside of level so the only group this will effect is cross overs from 4.2 to Level 2. Those athletes will be competing 3 days.

NCA made this decision with the mini teams because most teams outside of TX, OK, AR and LA already don't bring their tiny/mini.

L1 Small Mini - 12/15 teams from TX, OK, LA
L1 Small Mini D2 - 13/14 teams from TX
L1 Large Mini - 2/2 teams from TX
L1 Tiny - 8/10 teams from TX, AR
L2 Small Mini - 8/12 teams from TX, OK
L2 Large Mini - 1/2 teams from TX

The Tiny and Mini divisions are already largely regional. I understand having gym family support but I think for the most part they will still have that. They are moving the Tiny/Mini division during NCA All Star Prep Nationals. These gyms will probably have their All Star Prep programs there to support the Tinys/Minis.

I also love the return of non-Level 5 teams to the arena. It used to be that everyone who made finals got to compete in the arena. About 8 years ago my Jr 2 team competed in the arena. It is only recently that they have gone to Level 5 only.

If NCA thought they would lose a large portion of their client base by making this change then they wouldn't have done it. I can almost guarantee this was ran by some people (gym owners) before being released. Hooray for shorter days at the convention center!

THANK YOU.

Response from Justin Carrier on Twitter:

1. 200 teams didn't get in to NCA last year bc registration closed in 45 min. Parents were mad at gym owners bc they thought it was their fault

2. These changes aren't ideal for every person, but they are gonna help a lot of gyms whose businesses suffered last year because we were full.

We DID have parents who bought airfare and even I reserved a room. Probably it could have been handled in a more timely matter by whomever (NCA or our gym) to notify parents that they weren't getting in. BUT because I follow JC on Twitter, I was pretty sure we didn't get in. Just based on his tweet about how quickly it filled. I'm not sure why anyone at our gym bought airline tickets so soon...before there was CONFIRMATION...but I don't know when or how soon the info was given. Our rooms were automatically cancelled by by the housing people. I doubt our gym lost any business at all...likely they gained business once people knew they would be saving money.

I remember hearing something about NDA actually getting moved for 2017

I wonder if they actually decided to change the location for it since they haven't made any other announcements

Yes. NDA is Feb 10-12 at the Gaylord Convention Center. Information is posted on the Varsity website. Yet another challenge when CP doubles as a DP and you have the expense and pleasure of returning to Dallas Feb 24-26 for NCA.

4T9E7nAXc.jpeg

Last edited:
Back