OT New New Random Thread...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Got this email today from my english teacher.... :jawdrop:
(It's long but it's a quite entertaining read I promise)

Hello, students,

I hope you have had a good Spring Break. Unfortunately, I have not had a very good one. I have been assessing your drafts. Unfortunately, with the exception of three student's papers, almost all papers had points deducted for missing the required amount of sources (10), some papers were missing a Works Cited page or Reference page (which constitutes plagiarism), a few papers plagiarized because of the extreme lack of intext citations, and some papers did not even meet a minimum of six pages. How am I supposed to assess work that does not even meet the minimum guidelines?

You see the problem with this is that this makes my job that much more difficult. I could have had your papers ready to be given back to you tomorrow, but I'm not really sure what to do about this situation. Unfortunately, this carelessness on many of everyone's parts is going to take away from my own free time. This is where this becomes a huge problem for me. In my seven years of teaching, I have never had this experience before. I have emailed my supervisor for advice, and I'm waiting to get her response.

However, I know that I'm left with a couple of choices, and I will share them with you:

1. I could grade them as is, which means a good amount of you will not pass this project. For some papers, by the time I deduct points for the lack of sources, I cannot even assess it based upon the rubric because if I do, you would receive a much lower score. I'm seriously contemplating this. Unfortunately, most of the papers do not constitute English 1200 work. This surprises me because you also had an extra couple of days on this assignment because I pushed back the due date. If you had doubts you could have always seen me during my office hours, emailed me, or asked questions in class, which most of you did not. As I've stated in class, if you don't ask questions, I assume that you know what you're doing. In fact, as vocal as this class is before and after class starts, I would assume that you would have a lot of questions to ask me, but you don't. In contrast, the first section is quiet as a mouse, but they ask questions. In sum, I could let things take its course. Perhaps the grade will initiate some motivation on your parts to do what is necessary to be successful in this class.

2. But part of me thinks, "Well, if I assess the work, I don't feel students' are really learning the process of writing. So, I could give students choice if they want to revise out of this or not." This has been circulating in my mind as well. For the students who took this choice, I would give you a 24 hour time span to revise the draft to meet the minimum guidelines. But here's the catch, you would have to write a letter to me, telling me why I should give you this opportunity or chance. But there are some problems with this: 1. This is not standard practice to me. I've never done this throughout my entire teaching career. And I don't know how I really feel about that. 2. For the few that did meet the minimum, should I also give them the chance to revise? This is where I think it becomes unfair for the students who did put in the work. 3. Lastly, this puts 10 times more work on me as a teacher, a student, and a human being. My life does not revolve around teaching. In sum, my life does not revolve around you. It never has. It never will.

Again, I'm waiting to hear my supervisor. I'm willing to hear this class out if you have thoughts or suggestions, but ultimately, this is my call. Not yours. Shortly, some of you will be receive an email from me because of plagairism. For those folks, you need to make an appointment with me this week to see me as soon as possible.

Ms. T

Only to get a second email telling us that it wasn't intended for our section of the course :oops:
But that she hasn't graded our papers yet and we could be getting an email like this...

I read it and was SHOCKED... does anyone else find parts of this to be a bit rude?

Got this email today from my english teacher.... :jawdrop:
(It's long but it's a quite entertaining read I promise)

Hello, students,

I hope you have had a good Spring Break. Unfortunately, I have not had a very good one. I have been assessing your drafts. Unfortunately, with the exception of three student's papers, almost all papers had points deducted for missing the required amount of sources (10), some papers were missing a Works Cited page or Reference page (which constitutes plagiarism), a few papers plagiarized because of the extreme lack of intext citations, and some papers did not even meet a minimum of six pages. How am I supposed to assess work that does not even meet the minimum guidelines?

You see the problem with this is that this makes my job that much more difficult. I could have had your papers ready to be given back to you tomorrow, but I'm not really sure what to do about this situation. Unfortunately, this carelessness on many of everyone's parts is going to take away from my own free time. This is where this becomes a huge problem for me. In my seven years of teaching, I have never had this experience before. I have emailed my supervisor for advice, and I'm waiting to get her response.

However, I know that I'm left with a couple of choices, and I will share them with you:

1. I could grade them as is, which means a good amount of you will not pass this project. For some papers, by the time I deduct points for the lack of sources, I cannot even assess it based upon the rubric because if I do, you would receive a much lower score. I'm seriously contemplating this. Unfortunately, most of the papers do not constitute English 1200 work. This surprises me because you also had an extra couple of days on this assignment because I pushed back the due date. If you had doubts you could have always seen me during my office hours, emailed me, or asked questions in class, which most of you did not. As I've stated in class, if you don't ask questions, I assume that you know what you're doing. In fact, as vocal as this class is before and after class starts, I would assume that you would have a lot of questions to ask me, but you don't. In contrast, the first section is quiet as a mouse, but they ask questions. In sum, I could let things take its course. Perhaps the grade will initiate some motivation on your parts to do what is necessary to be successful in this class.

2. But part of me thinks, "Well, if I assess the work, I don't feel students' are really learning the process of writing. So, I could give students choice if they want to revise out of this or not." This has been circulating in my mind as well. For the students who took this choice, I would give you a 24 hour time span to revise the draft to meet the minimum guidelines. But here's the catch, you would have to write a letter to me, telling me why I should give you this opportunity or chance. But there are some problems with this: 1. This is not standard practice to me. I've never done this throughout my entire teaching career. And I don't know how I really feel about that. 2. For the few that did meet the minimum, should I also give them the chance to revise? This is where I think it becomes unfair for the students who did put in the work. 3. Lastly, this puts 10 times more work on me as a teacher, a student, and a human being. My life does not revolve around teaching. In sum, my life does not revolve around you. It never has. It never will.

Again, I'm waiting to hear my supervisor. I'm willing to hear this class out if you have thoughts or suggestions, but ultimately, this is my call. Not yours. Shortly, some of you will be receive an email from me because of plagairism. For those folks, you need to make an appointment with me this week to see me as soon as possible.

Ms. T

Only to get a second email telling us that it wasn't intended for our section of the course :oops:
But that she hasn't graded our papers yet and we could be getting an email like this...

I read it and was SHOCKED... does anyone else find parts of this to be a bit rude?

Well she seems delightful!
And v. unprofessional in my opinion. I know some teachers like to press the whole "we are equals" thing so I could understand her informal tone but this was taking it too far!

Well she seems delightful!
And v. unprofessional in my opinion. I know some teachers like to press the whole "we are equals" thing so I could understand her informal tone but this was taking it too far!
Honestly I find her teaching very unprofessional.
All she assigns is busy work and then yells at us during class about how it's not busy work.
She's 31 and has gray hair?! Like stop yelling at your students and you won't be so stressed?

Happy selection Sunday everyone!
Please cross your fingers for Green Bay to get an at-large bid and for our women's team to win their tournament championship today :)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
My Dad is a HUGE college baskeball fan and was talking about how we were going to have to miss selection Sunday since we'll be at dinner. My cousin asked him if he was talking about Dancing with the Stars lol.

I'll definitely keep my fingers crossed for Green Bay! :)

My hometown's skating rink (where Olympian Heather Richardson used to go too) is closing at the end of this month. It was a huge part of my childhood in elementary and middle school, my mom, uncle, and sister's too. I honestly met some of my best friends that didn't go to my school there too. I'm so sad :(

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Back