OT New New Random Thread...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Where do you go to school?? I live upstate and go to school here (well I go to school a little further downstate but we're in the mountains so the weathers the same.) a couple years ago I got a pretty heavy/ thick pea coat from target that keeps me warm all winter. I also have my snowboarding jacket which keeps me warm when I'm out on the mountain all day long. There are a bunch of options for you. On really cold days you should layer your clothes, wear gloves and a hat and warm boots that will keep your feet dry while walking to class and what not. Good luck for winter. Sometimes it can get brutal.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I will be going to NYCC which you've more than likely never heard of since it's basically just a doctor of chiropractic school.. though maybe you have if you're actually from there!! people around here just give me weird looks when i say it. LOL it's in the finger lakes if you haven't. but between lake ontario being 20 miles away and being surrounded by lakes i have heard it's not pretty. and then there is a high chance i could end up working in their clinic in Buffalo once i get to the clinical stage - so, yeah i see a lot of cold in my future.

i usually just end up wearing my fall coat or a north face fleece with a scarf/gloves in NJ - it's just never THAT cold.

I will be going to NYCC which you've more than likely never heard of since it's basically just a doctor of chiropractic school.. though maybe you have if you're actually from there!! people around here just give me weird looks when i say it. LOL it's in the finger lakes if you haven't. but between lake ontario being 20 miles away and being surrounded by lakes i have heard it's not pretty. and then there is a high chance i could end up working in their clinic in Buffalo once i get to the clinical stage - so, yeah i see a lot of cold in my future.

i usually just end up wearing my fall coat or a north face fleece with a scarf/gloves in NJ - it's just never THAT cold.

I grew up there on Lake Ontario (literally, it was in our backyard) so I know brutal winters. There is no wind in the world like the winter wind coming off Lake Ontario! We bought all our coats from Lands End when I was younger. They temperature rate them and they're pretty accurate.

I agree with @Eyes On The Prize , the key is layering. Layers will keep you warmer than any fancy coat. My sister is going to Antarctica in March, and everything she is wearing is layers of pieces from Athleta.

We now live in another brutal winter zone, Chicago. All my kids' stuff is Columbia and The North Face and they claim they are plenty warm enough. Again, layers. 11-year-old usually wears shirt, warm-up jacket from dance, and Columbia puffer coat outside. She's toasty warm.

The other key is a HAT. I know I sound all "mom-like" saying that, but it's true. Get a good hat (same companies mentioned above or, truthfully, I got the warmest hat I've ever owned last year at Target for about $8 )

Good luck at school and bundle up!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Fierce Board mobile app

Yeah I know where that is, I actually drove past the campus a couple times this summer when my friend and I went hiking in the area. Before that, you're right, I had never heard of it. Congrats for getting in! I live about 4 counties over in the Syracuse area. Hopefully you'll be able to take a trip there someday with some of the friends you'll make in college. Fun fact: We have the state's biggest mall and it's still growing. ;) But all of upstate is absolutely beautiful in the fall. I'm excited for you to experience it. If you like the outdoors (or even if you dont) you should definitely visit Letchworth State Park. It's nick named "The Grand Canyon of the East". I went this summer and fell in love. I hear it's gorgeous in the fall. Lots of waterfalls and scenic views.

And yes, like @Just-a-Mom mentioned, Target has some nice hats. I got the one I use for snowboarding there on clearance but I also use it on school days walking to class. It's crocheted on the outside and then has a fleece lining on the inside. Its made for winter running so of course it's super warm (and cute!) I seriously love Target. Also, fleece lined leggings aren't a bad idea either on those windy days (which I also got at Target.) Either wear them as they are or throw them under any pair of jeans/leggings/yoga pants and you will be toasty warm all winter.

@Just-a-Mom and @Eyes On The Prize thank you so much!!

i literally fell so in love with the area! i went up for a week in September right as the leaves were starting to change, it was just so pretty and (i hope) a perfect fit for me! i'm excited :D and throwing myself right into winter by starting in January lol at least the school has underground and heated tunnels connecting buildings!

i literally fell so in love with the area! i went up for a week in September right as the leaves were starting to change, it was just so pretty and (i hope) a perfect fit for me! i'm excited :D and throwing myself right into winter by starting in January lol at least the school has underground and heated tunnels connecting buildings!

I am so jealous of you right now :p

your going to live in the school tunnels. my best friend in her first year of university went to school in ottawa and lived on residence and only stepped outside on weekends when she went out.

in regards to coats, i second the canada goose and north face. i have some coat from this brand misty mountain i got from winners and it does the job. try and make sure the inside has a fleece liner you can take out and make sure the outsides water proof so snow does seep in, a good way of testing coats is breathing into it and if you can feel the air going onto your hand then that means the wind will seep through.

Yeah I know where that is, I actually drove past the campus a couple times this summer when my friend and I went hiking in the area. Before that, you're right, I had never heard of it. Congrats for getting in! I live about 4 counties over in the Syracuse area. Hopefully you'll be able to take a trip there someday with some of the friends you'll make in college. Fun fact: We have the state's biggest mall and it's still growing. ;) But all of upstate is absolutely beautiful in the fall. I'm excited for you to experience it. If you like the outdoors (or even if you dont) you should definitely visit Letchworth State Park. It's nick named "The Grand Canyon of the East". I went this summer and fell in love. I hear it's gorgeous in the fall. Lots of waterfalls and scenic views.

OMG this. I truly think upstate NY is one of the most beautiful places in the US. I love it at every time of year, but fall is just incredible. (And I've been to that mall - on its opening day in my senior year of high school :oops: It was a big event for us! Lol)

@njallday where is your school located (like what town)? We can probably tell you all the places you "must go" - you know...with all the free time you'll have. :p But if you do get some free time, there's lots to do up there.

OMG this. I truly think upstate NY is one of the most beautiful places in the US. I love it at every time of year, but fall is just incredible. (And I've been to that mall - on its opening day in my senior year of high school :oops: It was a big event for us! Lol)

@njallday where is your school located (like what town)? We can probably tell you all the places you "must go" - you know...with all the free time you'll have. :p But if you do get some free time, there's lots to do up there.

haha free time... yeah. i currently work "full time" at 35 hours a week. starting january ill be in classes about 40 hours a week plus studying. plus cadaver labs. ugh scary. cue my anxiety attack.

but anyway it is in Seneca Falls (aka the real Bedford Falls of It's a Wonderful Life - they even have a December IAWL festival) theres a whole lot of wineries and the wildlife reserve (I even got to see the mythical white deer herd that only live there on my trip!!!) i stopped in Ithaca on my way home to eat at Moosewood Restaurant since I own all of their cookbooks and that was on my bucket list. other than that I don't know anything about the area and surrounding towns. my apartment is about a mile from Cayuga Lake.

After reading all about this cold weather, I'm never leaving California. It's only 64° and I'm in bed under a fleece blanket, a down blanket, and wearing leggings and a hoodie. I cannot even imagine cheer in 19°!!!! I would die!

We had to walk in a parade today and I can't remember the actual temperature but the weather app that I use said it was supposed to feel like -6. It was SO cold! Can't wait to cheer in the cold again tomorrow...

I am so sad because I'm in college, and my roommate and I don't get BBC America on our TV here. So I have to wait until Tuesday night to watch it because that's when I'm going home! :(
I'm in college, too but the game room in our building has a tv with BBC America on it

Back