New Post Ratings

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I have added new post rating abilities to the board. You can now positively rate posts (Shimmy, Like, Funny, and Informative) as well as negatively rate posts (Dislike, Old, Gossip, and Bullying).

Eventually your positive posts will determine what gets tweeted out to let everyone know something interesting is going on.

Your negative ratings will help lower the amount of negative threads and help moderators keep track of them. Possibly allowing users to close threads if voted to close enough or flag for moderation.

Enjoy the new system!

Personally I think this is a great thing! A great start to something that can definitely change and evolve.

I like to participate in "Yahoo! Answers", which is much like this board for many different topics (I typically like to do the politics/government area), and they have the "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" ratings for responses to questions that others can vote on. The originating question for the thread users can choose to respond or not. There are moderators for all forums on the board, and the "questions" initiating the thread have to be approved prior to being posted. If it violates their "rules" for questions, it is removed. If responses violate rules, they can be removed. If there are so many removals in a two-week period, or if your posts are reported so many times over a certain period, you are first blocked from using the forum for a period of time (a "time-out"), a second time, your account is "suspended" for a 6-month period, a third time you are removed from the forum. Just an idea. This is totally in the control of the moderators for each section of the forum, and the only time that users can be involved is if you "report" a question or a user. Even then, you have to jump through hoops in order for your report to be considered. I have only seen 7 or 8 accounts actually fall victim to this on Yahoo!, but it is apparent. I have the very same account I have had with it since starting in 2006. Just so no one thinks I am speaking from experience. LOL

I definitely think this step will help with the "general public" perception of Fierce Boards being "scary". That is the response I hear from those that know what it is. They often refer to the users as "mean" (though I have never encountered that personally), but I have seen the threads where "mean" would be an appropriate description. IMHO

Personally I think this is a great thing! A great start to something that can definitely change and evolve.

I like to participate in "Yahoo! Answers", which is much like this board for many different topics (I typically like to do the politics/government area), and they have the "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" ratings for responses to questions that others can vote on. The originating question for the thread users can choose to respond or not. There are moderators for all forums on the board, and the "questions" initiating the thread have to be approved prior to being posted. If it violates their "rules" for questions, it is removed. If responses violate rules, they can be removed. If there are so many removals in a two-week period, or if your posts are reported so many times over a certain period, you are first blocked from using the forum for a period of time (a "time-out"), a second time, your account is "suspended" for a 6-month period, a third time you are removed from the forum. Just an idea. This is totally in the control of the moderators for each section of the forum, and the only time that users can be involved is if you "report" a question or a user. Even then, you have to jump through hoops in order for your report to be considered. I have only seen 7 or 8 accounts actually fall victim to this on Yahoo!, but it is apparent. I have the very same account I have had with it since starting in 2006. Just so no one thinks I am speaking from experience. LOL

I definitely think this step will help with the "general public" perception of Fierce Boards being "scary". That is the response I hear from those that know what it is. They often refer to the users as "mean" (though I have never encountered that personally), but I have seen the threads where "mean" would be an appropriate description. IMHO

Thanks! The board has a bit of a bad rap. I would say 20% of it is deserved and the other 80% is 'hype and blame'. This can help lower that other 80% perception of what happens here.

I always find the funny thing is that twitter is way meaner than the board ever is.

lol--- right now, Acedad is rated as one of the 3 most negative posters on the site ;) Who ever thought that would happen!

Lol I was trying to reply to one of @Just-a-Mom 's posts and I accidentally hit the bully button. Sorry about that JAM! Does it count against her though? I'm mildly stressing that I may have messed with her fierce cred...

This is a great idea and i like the aspect of making a difference between funny and informative.
I guess there are some more great ideas on your mind @King ;)
to make the boards even more enjoyable for us. Thank you!

@King
I clicked on the list where you can see who gave shimmys and likes and so on, and when i "scroll" the names an X appears giving me the option to delete or undo this rating, even though it´s not mine. I didn´t click on it because i´m scared it would take the like back another user gave - but is this planned? Or wouldn´t it work since it´s not my "like"?

@King
I clicked on the list where you can see who gave shimmys and likes and so on, and when i "scroll" the names an X appears giving me the option to delete or undo this rating, even though it´s not mine. I didn´t click on it because i´m scared it would take the like back another user gave - but is this planned? Or wouldn´t it work since it´s not my "like"?

There might be some more fine tuning. Try and delete my shimmy on your post.

Lol I was trying to reply to one of @Just-a-Mom 's posts and I accidentally hit the bully button. Sorry about that JAM! Does it count against her though? I'm mildly stressing that I may have messed with her fierce cred...

Oh my god! @King fix it! I don't wanna be labeled a bully! :(

:D I'm glad you told me - if I'd seen it later I would have been so confused.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

lol--- right now, Acedad is rated as one of the 3 most negative posters on the site ;) Who ever thought that would happen!
I know you are only playing, but for others who see that, I think there is a fine line between "negative" and honest! When you tell it like it is, it isn't always going to be shimmys and rainbows!

Doesn't mean they will get deleted. I'm working on a system so they can be monitored. Id rather very little ever get deleted. Possibly if a thread is flagged enough it just loses the ability to be bumped or seen in new replies and tweeted out. That's my current plan.

I didn't mean they would get deleted. I was just making a joke that some of the best threads that *should* be tweeted are likely to be tagged as dislike or old or something.

I know you are only playing, but for others who see that, I think there is a fine line between "negative" and honest! When you tell it like it is, it isn't always going to be shimmys and rainbows!

True enough. But in his case especially, it looked wierd . A bazillion shimmies and just one negative and he got on "the list" ;)

To be honest, it is going to take a while for the ratings to be fine tuned, imo. As it stands ,I am a little worried about "negatives". I think that it could encourage people to target one another. I am curious to see how it all plays out, but in the meantime we will see strange listings due to ratings.

Interesting. Where is this list?

I just got home and only had the app available for a bit today and I am looking for this list, too. Just clicked on my user profile and I have given 3500 shimmies. ;) I want to see the list, too.

Back