All-Star New Uniforms 2015-2016 Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

So as a uniform designer for Top Gun I just want to throw my 2 cents into the picture.

A) Almost every performance top we have ever created was made to be supportive & hold the same way a sport bra does. In essence we start with a sports bra and add arms and necklines. With a few exceptions being a heavy duty sports bra with no cutouts or frills whatsoever there's almost no difference in the support an average TG female would receive in her uniform than your CP at practice.

B) Our athletes are not terrified of us by any means and if they were uncomfortable we would be more upset that they didn't come and clarify it with us so we can resolve the issue. On the contrary we are a program that is all about innovation and performance...if the athletes weren't comfortable they wouldn't be able to perform at their best and that would be completely contradictory to what we are most notorious for.

C) Let's be devils advocate and say our uniforms did not offer "proper support" (which is not what I'm saying). But any restrictive garment offers "some support"...So are we really arguing to this extent on the danger of warmups and a 2:30 performance on stage on average of 5-10 times per year with "some support" as opposed to "proper support?"

You couldn't just do nude it would have to be skin tone to be unnoticeable which is a lot harder to do
There would also likely be a noticeable outline in the mesh if they fit as tightly as people are saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a uniform the last two years that required a sports bra like that and it really wasn't that easy to find one that worked with the cutout in the right place. I bought one I thought would work and it didnt. I ended up wearing a cami bralet thing over a real bra, which is fine for my IBTs, but it was a pain. Now, if the gym wanted to sell an optional sports bra that they could guarantee would work with the top, I'd have bought it.

And my uniform this year is open on the shoulder, so I wore the same cami bra (which has no support btw) and took the strap off my shoulder and hid it inside the uniform.

I just wish I didn't need to coordinate bras with my uniform. I just want to grab one of the half a dozen black sports bras in my drawer and wear that. I also like to be able to change in the hallway and take off my top and put on a t-shirt and I can't do that if I'm wearing a real bra or no bra - or a bra where I took the strap off an my boob might pop out as I change.
Ahh, interesting. Also, that sounds hella uncomfortable. Admittedly, I've never worn that bra with a uniform, just to run, etc. I was basing how it would fit purely off looking at it and the uniform. I knew it wouldn't be perfect, but maybe that in white or nude would blend in-ish?
I don't know, like I said, there's no way I'd be able to wear something not supportive. I'd just be defiant and show up in that bra anyway lol

There's probably a lack of outrage on this one because people are most likely sick of seeing it. *insert dead horse emoji*. The TG one brought more of an outrage since the back is all mesh, therefore if you had a bra, it would be seen (and if it's not nude it would probably ruin the look of the wings). This one might somehow (which idk how) be able to get a bra since it's all fabric that isn't see-through.

If I'd posted my comments on the uniform I would have said "idk how you wear a bra with that" but I let it go and didn't say anything since I'm sure many are over this argument again and again and just want to see new uniforms.

I'd be curious to know how many programs actually involve athletes in the design process, because I could 100% see a gym "design a uniform without saying a word to the team and force them to wear it"

ETA: I like seeing Cheetahs in black. I'm not a fan of the white shimmery dots up close (reminds me of snow or dandruff I guess) but I'm sure that will look amazing under the stage lights!

Agree with everything you said 100% from beating the dead horse to the dots looking better on the floor!!!

So as a uniform designer for Top Gun I just want to throw my 2 cents into the picture.

A) Almost every performance top we have ever created was made to be supportive & hold the same way a sport bra does. In essence we start with a sports bra and add arms and necklines. With a few exceptions being a heavy duty sports bra with no cutouts or frills whatsoever there's almost no difference in the support an average TG female would receive in her uniform than your CP at practice.

B) Our athletes are not terrified of us by any means and if they were uncomfortable we would be more upset that they didn't come and clarify it with us so we can resolve the issue. On the contrary we are a program that is all about innovation and performance...if the athletes weren't comfortable they wouldn't be able to perform at their best and that would be completely contradictory to what we are most notorious for.

C) Let's be devils advocate and say our uniforms did not offer "proper support" (which is not what I'm saying). But any restrictive garment offers "some support"...So are we really arguing to this extent on the danger of warmups and a 2:30 performance on stage on average of 5-10 times per year with "some support" as opposed to "proper support?"

I will add that I saw no bouncing betties on any of the TG teams I watched. So I do believe at least those tops are supportive alone.

MOST gym owners trying to design custom uniforms do not have the experience and design know-how to make innovative function and fashion work together. I believe you do even if I don't love every single uniform TG has.

Look at Kiara in the pyramid. Imagine if that wasn't a sports bra friendly uniform...

That is all.

I feel likes it's not so much about uniform but about proper support. Because this past weekend at cheersport I remember seeing an athlete with a full top uniform. No cut outs and if it did it was minimal, but girl was still bouncing all over the place.

I feel likes it's not so much about uniform but about proper support. Because this past weekend at cheersport I remember seeing an athlete with a full top uniform. No cut outs and if it did it was minimal, but girl was still bouncing all over the place.

It is about proper support, but the uniform has to allow for that first. There are a LOT out there that don't. Bottom line for me is that everyone should have the ability to wear a supportive bra with their uniform, not the clear backed, clear strapped nonsense that really does nothing as far as support. There is nothing that necessitates designing a uniform that doesn't accommodate some kind of sports bra.

Unity Allstars Black (IOC5) debuting at NCA.
Sponsored by Varsity.
86077399439d93bf538971fab7cbfec1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back