All-Star New Way Of Fulling Up (easier But Still A Fullup)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

That sounds like it would be a much easier and perhaps safer progression for brand new level three kids because the grips and stance etc are similar to half ups at level 2. I like it!

It's kinda based off that idea I think.

Does anybody have a video? We were working on full ups last night and I think I want to ask if we can try this way, but I can't fully picture it in my head.

I saw Heat Athletics' J4 do these this weekend in warmup, but I didn't really catch on to the fact that it was different until they were on their way up. So glad you brought this up!

If anyone has video, or even a picture of the main and secondary grips, I would love to see it!

Curious how many have tried the new way of fulling up I just saw. It is quite fantastic and makes the skill markedly easier while still meeting all the requirements I have seen for a fullup to get full credit.

The flyer loads in and the side (some of you may know her as the main... lets just say the traditional spinner of the fullup) has their normal grip. The difference is the left foot crosses in front of the right foot and the main (again some of you may refer to her as the side but the base who traditionally had to let go of the foot) reaches around behind the right to grab the left heal. By doing this grip the flyer never loses contact with either base. The level of ease at which I saw someone hit a fullup with this skill is quite amazing (and a 1 1/2 up as well).

How many people have tried it?
I dont think its that new. 208-2009 season and 2009-2010 we did that grip for our teams at Elite.

All the groups but point do the full up.

Really looking at I couldn't clearly tell anyone did it that way. Lots of groups switched sides as well. The way I'm describing the bases don't move.

a choreographer from md twisters showed us this weekend. Im a backspot so i couldnt tell you how the grips worked but we nailed it the first few tries with a girl who doesnt normally fly.

Yes we tried it last night with our s4 without having seen the video first, there is one in the coaches section that I'll try to find.

We have 4 groups that can hit the normal way but might get tangled up in the catch or not quite get all the way around etc. Hitting but there were issues. But then our 5th group... it was a different problem each time, but usually led to her falling backwards either to the right base(looking at the group) would miss the foot or the Left base would pull the foot forward or the flyer would twist early or twist too much etc.

We tried a few different grips- one where the left base reaches around the the left hand to grab the heel, it was just a really awkward start but there was some improvement then I tried being the left base and grabbing the flyers left toe with my left hand and it worked but was still super awkward and it was just all my muscle but it stayed up. We had a break and I had the epiphany of this grip, we were supposed to move on to the next stunt, that group was quite frustrated, and I said just try this grip maybe it will work maybe not but lets just give it a try real quick.

This group that was no where close at all the whole practice that was really tired at the end of practice, tried it the first time and it almost hit, one of the based backed out so the flyers legs were wide and they couldn't lock out their arms but the flyer was vertical and up there, tried it again and it was even closer and on the third time it Hit! Now we just have to add probably 2 8counts to get the grip.

description of grips
Left base (looking at the Stunt)- Normal full up grip on the Flyer's right foot
Right Base- grabs the flyer's left heel with their right hand with their finger pointing in towards them. Their Left hand should probably grab the right ankle but we were on the left toe when we tried it.
Flyer has her left foot crossed in front of her right

both bases finish the their right thumbs facing away from them

We learned this grip at JamU. We have used it some but the girls said they felt awkward so we let them go back to the old way. This past weekend we discussed going back to it bc the girls were struggling to hit the full up in the middle of the elite.

Back