All-Star New Way Of Fulling Up (easier But Still A Fullup)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

my stunt group did it to a one leg and the first time we did it; it hit right away

Oh my gosh...it makes so much sense that it almost seems ridiculous. Definitely going to try this with my team.

It's an amazing grip. Using it and abusing it at our gym except for J3, and that was a choreo decision as they hit decent without it and we bump down to a sponge from 1 leg and it would take too long to set up.

It's hard to picture until you see it. But then it's a DUH moment.

Just set for a normal fullup from smoosh, then bring the left foot in front and across, and have the other base reach behind the right foot with their right arm and grab the heel area. Then just let it dip and unravel.

Did it tonight at stunt class. Um...It's literally stupid easy, and it looks so clean. The flyers were like "I didn't do anything...". The only bummer is, full up immediates can't really be done that way.

We tried them back in the summer, and I personally wasn't a fan. Simply because the "unravel" look that someone mentioned earlier. Maybe we just didn't have them clean enough yet. Considering making our back corner group do it like this though bc they're really struggling with the normal full up.

This is amazing! Thanks for sharing.

Just wondering does anyone know how judges feel about using this grip... exact same as the other grip?

Morgankay88 I have wondered the same thing. After we tried it we discussed it and one of my coaches felt strongly that since it wasn't a release move that it wouldn't count toward our difficulty. So with the girls saying it was awkward (and they did look a bit awkward doing it), one coach arguing that it may hurt us for not being released AND taking extra time to get the grip just right before going up, we decided against using it.

We will revisit it if I know it won't hurt us by not being a release move. I would much rather use this grip that hits 99-100% of the time than the usual way which is about 75-80% for us right now.

Even if it is not scored as high, it would probably be a better gamble than a bobble or fall deduction.

Morgankay88 I have wondered the same thing. After we tried it we discussed it and one of my coaches felt strongly that since it wasn't a release move that it wouldn't count toward our difficulty. So with the girls saying it was awkward (and they did look a bit awkward doing it), one coach arguing that it may hurt us for not being released AND taking extra time to get the grip just right before going up, we decided against using it.

We will revisit it if I know it won't hurt us by not being a release move. I would much rather use this grip that hits 99-100% of the time than the usual way which is about 75-80% for us right now.

Even if it is not scored as high, it would probably be a better gamble than a bobble or fall deduction.

Either way it's not a release move. And I don't think that grips will ever truly be judgeable. I think the difference would come with bases turning ie half up with a half turn vs bases stationary and flyer full turns

Spring Tumbling tought us that grip at choreography. As I've been doing "normal grip" full ups for years (side base)... it's rather difficult for me to get used to it. But we're also doing the stunt with variations in difficulty right now (1 1/4 - 1 1/2 turns, to the top, 'immediate' stretch,...)

I also generally prefer the look of the twist with a release by the side base. Difficult to describe for me but it looks just a little tighter and cleaner to me.

However, maybe I'm just jealous that everyone now gets to learns something so much easier, while I had to work my butt off to make it. ;)

We learned this gift from ultimate speed camps over summer. It is the cleanest yet most reliable way to do a full up.

Back