High School Nhscc 2018

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Been off the boards for a while, but came on here looking specifically for this thread. Just got done with our itinerary and stressed doesn't cover it! 2 teams, 2 coaches, 4 divisions. If all goes well and we make it through all the rounds, we will compete 9 times that weekend... NINE! I'm just praying that they rethink the schedule a bit, because as it stands, I just don't see how the kids or coaches can be where we need to be. Lots of overlap both days, but the worst is that our varsity gameday finals, regular varsity division finals, and tail end of JV gameday finals are all the same general time block. Not sure what happens when the draw for order makes it impossible for teams to be everywhere.

Good luck! And props to you for creating such an ambitious program. That’s no easy feat.

Been off the boards for a while, but came on here looking specifically for this thread. Just got done with our itinerary and stressed doesn't cover it! 2 teams, 2 coaches, 4 divisions. If all goes well and we make it through all the rounds, we will compete 9 times that weekend... NINE! I'm just praying that they rethink the schedule a bit, because as it stands, I just don't see how the kids or coaches can be where we need to be. Lots of overlap both days, but the worst is that our varsity gameday finals, regular varsity division finals, and tail end of JV gameday finals are all the same general time block. Not sure what happens when the draw for order makes it impossible for teams to be everywhere.

Ugh!! They need to fix this ASAP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, all that waiting, and it's not entirely useful.

They've got large game day semis and finals going on at the exact same time. That can't be correct.

I think these problems come from the fact that JV teams should not be competing at the national level. It's crazy. What other sport has a national championship for jv?

Not meant as shade to you @AScheer, or any others bringing JV teams. You are giving your kids an amazing opportunity and experience (that's why we coach right?)

But I just think that by having all these JV divisions to help max out the rooms at the hotels, we now have a chaotic schedule that will be tough for many programs and coaches. The schedule could be a lot easier to get through if it was a varsity exclusive championship.

(UCA, if you are listening.... do a separate JV National Championship..

..while we are at it maybe separate Junior High one too?)

*ahem* *high school*
2column_resize-5.jpg

Are you in Medium DI varsity and Large Game day Varsity too?

Edit to add:

Assuming we advance through all the rounds, we will be competing twice on Saturday and 4 times on Sunday with the same team.

I think these problems come from the fact that JV teams should not be competing at the national level. It's crazy. What other sport has a national championship for jv?

Not meant as shade to you @AScheer, or any others bringing JV teams. You are giving your kids an amazing opportunity and experience (that's why we coach right?)

But I just think that by having all these JV divisions to help max out the rooms at the hotels, we now have a chaotic schedule that will be tough for many programs and coaches. The schedule could be a lot easier to get through if it was a varsity exclusive championship.

*ahem* *high school*
2column_resize-5.jpg

I have to agree with you. In all other high school athletics, JV games/competitions/events are nothing more than glorified exhibitions.

Are you in Medium DI varsity and Large Game day Varsity too?

Edit to add:

Assuming we advance through all the rounds, we will be competing twice on Saturday and 4 times on Sunday with the same team.
We are small division 1 and small Gameday.

The unknown is the advancing part. I don't envy whoever has to make the schedule, but I just can't see it working. I think it's common sense to not overlap the small varsity regular division with small varsity Gameday, etc bc more than likely many teams will overlap. If one arena gets off it is a ripple effect that can damage every other arena. That's how we ended up freezing in a tent at midnight a few years ago.

We are small division 1 and small Gameday.

The unknown is the advancing part. I don't envy whoever has to make the schedule, but I just can't see it working. I think it's common sense to not overlap the small varsity regular division with small varsity Gameday, etc bc more than likely many teams will overlap. If one arena gets off it is a ripple effect that can damage every other arena. That's how we ended up freezing in a tent at midnight a few years ago.

Our state rep tells me “they’ll work out whatever you need.”

Well, I NEED a 25 point curve...

*ahem* *high school*
2column_resize-5.jpg
No shade taken. Prior to this week, we were already discussing not taking JV back next season due to expense reasons and work ethic. We pushed real hard to not have a JV / varsity divide this season and in doing so, we took a lot of the prestige of being on varsity away. There are a lot of pros to having a JV down there, but after seeing what is ahead of us, I just don't know that the stress of it all is worth it!

ETA: if JV is a separate Disney trip, no thank you! If they had a separate thing it would have to be much more low key and not in the same general timeframe of NHSCC. Supernationals launched a school championship this year, and that's something we're contemplating for JV next season instead of uca.

Last edited:
I have to agree with you. In all other high school athletics, JV games/competitions/events are nothing more than glorified exhibitions.

No shade taken. Prior to this week, we were already discussing not taking JV back next season due to expense reasons and work ethic. We pushed real hard to not have a JV / varsity divide this season and in doing so, we took a lot of the prestige of being on varsity away. There are a lot of pros to having a JV down there, but after seeing what is ahead of us, I just don't know that the stress of it all is worth it!

ETA: if JV is a separate Disney trip, no thank you! If they had a separate thing it would have to be much more low key and not in the same general timeframe of NHSCC. Supernationals launched a school championship this year, and that's something we're contemplating for JV next season instead of uca.
A different season or portion of the season could definitely be valuable for a lot of varsity programs too. Different periods to focus on might make it survivable lol

A different season or portion of the season could definitely be valuable for a lot of varsity programs too. Different periods to focus on might make it survivable lol
So how is everyone feeling about scoring? What’s the new “now” stunt everyone is bringing this season? I can’t believe we are 10 Days Until we personally leave... staying at Carribean this year and wondering how we will like it...

So how is everyone feeling about scoring? What’s the new “now” stunt everyone is bringing this season? I can’t believe we are 10 Days Until we personally leave... staying at Carribean this year and wondering how we will like it...
As long as your budget isn't tight, you should enjoy Caribbean a lot. Bigger rooms and quieter spaces def help when bringing a group.

Lots of inverts and switch leg stunts with the variation rule changes seem to be the talked about skills in our circles.

College Nationals placing was interesting to see. Wondering if that will reflect at HS!

I’m loving the focus on perfection/execution and the new deductions. They should play right into my hands. I’ve been preaching it to my kids for four years, and now these seniors (my first 4-year group at this school) will hopefully reap the benefits of the big swing.

I do l
I’m loving the focus on perfection/execution and the new deductions. They should play right into my hands. I’ve been preaching it to my kids for four years, and now these seniors (my first 4-year group at this school) will hopefully reap the benefits of the big swing.
I do like that execution is huge this year. We TOTALY revised our ending pyramid this last week so we can execute it better. I feel like a lot of teams are working hard to be their best at what they can truly do to their ability... not throwing a ton of difficulty on the mat only to have half of it fall.

I do l
I do like that execution is huge this year. We TOTALY revised our ending pyramid this last week so we can execute it better. I feel like a lot of teams are working hard to be their best at what they can truly do to their ability... not throwing a ton of difficulty on the mat only to have half of it fall.

Agreed......we are focusing on execution. We are not trying to do anything out of our ability. Look at pyramids....difficulty is only 5, you take a fall and that is 4 points. Not worth it. Hoping our focus on execution pays off.

This is our first year bringing a JV but we are so far finding it well worth the investment. They have really been responding well to pressure and the push. Almost better then the varsity, however, less then half of them have done this before due to the quantity of seniors that we carry each year, so as a program we feel JV is a worth while investment. I know everyone has a different view! I always have been weary but even Varsity feels that JV has earned it and will represent well.

Back