All-Star Nightline Episode

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I have to say that this is not the norm. My CPs are not allowed to spray tan. My CP-14 uses some mild at home lotions to give her a little bit of color, but you really can't tell. My CP-11 is allergic to tanning lotions and never uses them. We are at the same gym you were at and neither of my girls have ever been told they had to tan. And, both were placed in front for most of their routines. My CP-11 was the center flyer on her team. So, as far as our experience has gone, them not tanning has had no impact on their placement/position on their teams. Both are on non-worlds L5 teams.
I completely agree - it was never insisted upon to our knowledge, but it was last year. I believe it depends on your coach. I did have another coach ask me why certain ones were in the back so I know others do it differently.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Well Im about as girly as.. Well I'm just not, and I brought my daughter to allstar. She's just aging out of minis this coming season and will wear a half top uniform for the first time this year. I have never worn glitter makeup in my life and have no plans to start.

This sport suits my Droplet. She's as sassy and energetic as the day is long and regardless of whether she does what I want her to do (horses anyone? What is wrong with this child? I thought everyone wanted ponies as a kid?) this is her sport. It suits her. If it was all frowny faces and seriousness it would be more like gymnastics, which is where she started and she hated it! Loved the activity, hated the lack of fun.

Maybe y'all that hate the glitz and glam should work on starting a non-NCAA sanctioned acro and tumbling competition. That's really what you're looking for, right? Be the change you're seeking and all that.

I'm not against some glitz and bling. I don't care for the over-the-top hair, makeup and St Tropez tan at practice in January. The point I said "done" was when position was determined on a pre-determined look alone. I don't think it's industry wide, I know it varies by team in each gym. I don't think families are flocking in or out of all-star because of it. I do think it wasn't my taste and I chose to have her do something else. Don't worry, allstar cheer won't die off because a few don't like to practice 4+ times each week in full hair, makeup and tan. There will always be kids who love that. It will be interesting to see the growth of Acro, STUNT, and even the new pageant comps.

My sister cheered with me our freshman year and by sophmore year she hated it. She didn't like the girly-ness, football cheering etc. I was clearly the opposite.
I've been trying to get her to start cheering again ever since then. It's been like 3/4 years lol and she wouldn't budge.

I was just talking to her about STUNT like literally 5 minutes ago, and she was all for it. She actually got a little excited about it .

Different things appeal to different types of people. Personally, I don't care for either way. I love fun makeup, I love big hair, but I wouldn't let that dictate the reason I choose a certain sport.

Well Im about as girly as.. Well I'm just not, and I brought my daughter to allstar. She's just aging out of minis this coming season and will wear a half top uniform for the first time this year. I have never worn glitter makeup in my life and have no plans to start.

This sport suits my Droplet. She's as sassy and energetic as the day is long and regardless of whether she does what I want her to do (horses anyone? What is wrong with this child? I thought everyone wanted ponies as a kid?) this is her sport. It suits her. If it was all frowny faces and seriousness it would be more like gymnastics, which is where she started and she hated it! Loved the activity, hated the lack of fun.

Maybe y'all that hate the glitz and glam should work on starting a non-NCAA sanctioned acro and tumbling competition. That's really what you're looking for, right? Be the change you're seeking and all that.

I believe that USA Gymnastics is sanctioning A&T.

I'm not against some glitz and bling. I don't care for the over-the-top hair, makeup and St Tropez tan at practice in January. The point I said "done" was when position was determined on a pre-determined look alone. I don't think it's industry wide, I know it varies by team in each gym. I don't think families are flocking in or out of all-star because of it. I do think it wasn't my taste and I chose to have her do something else. Don't worry, allstar cheer won't die off because a few don't like to practice 4+ times each week in full hair, makeup and tan. There will always be kids who love that. It will be interesting to see the growth of Acro, STUNT, and even the new pageant comps.

I don't believe that any successful team is placing kids in formations by appearance. I'm sure there are gyms out there that do it- but those are gyms that are probably going to close within a few years. It sounds like something that would happen at Janktastic Allstars. All that coach is doing is setting themselves up for failure.

Oh, yes, they definitely are. Also, as a former T&T watcher (y'all please don't judge me :D), I wondered if the Nightline producers borrowed a page out of the T&T playbook when Michaeleddie had to run back, last minute, and find his credentials. Just like the panicking T&T pageant mom, with no time to spare, racing back to the hotel room to find whatever the heck it was just as the judges are calling her little Mackenzee Grace to the stage....

I actually enjoyed seeing a glimpse into the Riveras and Manning families and was intrigued and wanted to know more about why/how they make it all work as a family with "extraordinary circumstances." I wasn't impressed with how the Butlers were presented, but I'm sure that's editing for you.

That one gym CTR...Alisha was on T&T with her kids and her Pageant Business, and Alana's mom (I think that's the spelling) was that specific pageant's coordinator. Totally random, but that stuck out to me.

I don't believe that any successful team is placing kids in formations by appearance. I'm sure there are gyms out there that do it- but those are gyms that are probably going to close within a few years. It sounds like something that would happen at Janktastic Allstars. All that coach is doing is setting themselves up for failure.
Fairly certain @Dixie 's CP was at a rather prominent, well respected, expanding gym.

I know what acro and tumbling is but what is STUNT? I find it quite ridiculous that acro and tumbling is so similar to allstar (minus the lack of "glam" and levels) i watched a competition on YouTube not to long ago and the last event was basically a shorter cheer routine.

I know what acro and tumbling is but what is STUNT? I find it quite ridiculous that acro and tumbling is so similar to allstar (minus the lack of "glam" and levels) i watched a competition on YouTube not to long ago and the last event was basically a shorter cheer routine.

Basically a sport derived from cheer without actual cheering.. Head to head competition with quarters and whatnot. Fits title 9
s description of a sport

Because the glitz thing is now the style in cheer, I think more up and coming gyms are pushing it on their athletes. Kind of the look the part, be the part attitude.

I personally believe things have gotten better in the past few years. Glitter eyeshadow has almost phased out for most people.

ETA: I clearly can't eat and post.

Last edited:
I completely agree that it could be something happening at Suzy's Mom's Barnyard Allstars. I also think appearance could be a deciding factor at gyms where the talent level is so high that everyone is on an equal playing field. When you have 32 out of 36 girls throwing standing to double with above average technique, something has to play a part in who goes where in a formation.

I'll use Orange as an example, even though I know they don't operate this way. Every single girl on that team could be front row jumpers at any other gym in the country. Someone has to be back row, someone has to be front row. When the talent level is so high and so similar across all team members, it certainly wouldn't surprise me if appearance played a part in deciding who goes where.

I completely agree that it could be something happening at Suzy's Mom's Barnyard Allstars. I also think appearance could be a deciding factor at gyms where the talent level is so high that everyone is on an equal playing field. When you have 32 out of 36 girls throwing standing to double with above average technique, something has to play a part in who goes where in a formation.

I'll use Orange as an example, even though I know they don't operate this way. Every single girl on that team could be front row jumpers at any other gym in the country. Someone has to be back row, someone has to be front row. When the talent level is so high and so similar across all team members, it certainly wouldn't surprise me if appearance played a part in deciding who goes where.

Like a team with all needles, maybe the shorter flyer is in the front or the ones who are equal height are the sides in the pyramid.

Latest posts

Back