All-Star Not Going To Summit

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't disagree with you. Me and CP were super happy last night for her old best friend's Y2 getting a paid bid and they totally deserved it! It was just a suggestion of how to make Summit something some kids/parents don't have to go to too many years in a row. It's a tough one. I don't see my suggestion happening anyway so don't worry!

LOL. Varsity is going to be so greedy with money, that they will start inviting prep, tinys and minis. Maybe throw in the novice program as well. Parent squads will probably get Summit bids soon as well.

Yeah but then every Susie would want to be on a senior team as soon as they are age eligible... I think maybe only level 3 and up should go to Summit, then it's more "elite" and levels 1-2 are about learning and growing (and not spending tons of money).

Ah! The Suzie factor this is so true maybe raising the criteria by level may be a better way to bring the "elite" feeling back to Summit. And level 3 and up is a great start. Love it!

This will be our fourth consecutive summit. I sincerely hope it is our last. Droplet got a ring last year which is great.. but I have never managed to become a fan of it in the years we have gone and now with the addition of Thursday and Friday as competition days for the international teams, we are asked to miss even more school.

Love Disney.. truly. I just would prefer to go there without the stress that inevitably comes with summit.

Of course Drop would prefer to go there and to worlds and UCA and any other competition she can possibly go to any and every weekend and at every level from now until eternity. :help:

I'm not one to defend Varsity, but if anyone was on the boards years ago, they will remember all of the posts from parents complaining that their athlete may never make it to level 5 and it is completely unfair that they will never have the opportunity to go to Worlds and the lower level athletes deserve to have a worlds type event. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing - Varsity saw an opportunity to profit from these parents, but IMO it was the parents who created Summit and it has become a good example of "be careful what you wish for" !

This is cp’s 4th Summit as well. And at the start of every season I’m like,”Oh, Gawd, I hope they don’t get a bid this year...it would be so nice not to go AGAIN.” But then, inevitably, those bids start to matter. Even though they shouldn’t. In our area, there are a ton of bid comps, and beyond winning your division...getting one of a very few bids is validating. Plus, my cp’s division isn’t super big. Her team sees a healthy amount of fierce competition at Summit, which they love. Winning at Summit, knowing that you have competed against the majority of the teams in your division nationally, is satisfying. When we 1st started going it was all about the Mickey, but now it is all about the competition. Which is good!

I'm not one to defend Varsity, but if anyone was on the boards years ago, they will remember all of the posts from parents complaining that their athlete may never make it to level 5 and it is completely unfair that they will never have the opportunity to go to Worlds and the lower level athletes deserve to have a worlds type event. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing - Varsity saw an opportunity to profit from these parents, but IMO it was the parents who created Summit and it has become a good example of "be careful what you wish for" !
yes i remember years ago before summit, people complaining that lower levels dont get enough recognition and special comps like level 5. Now they have one, and can equally feel the pain of probably every level 5 parent.... your welcome... lol

although i can see the addition of summit to lower levels probably adds to pricing out families a lot sooner before their athlete is ever able to reach level 5..

Last edited:
LOL. Varsity is going to be so greedy with money, that they will start inviting prep, tinys and minis. Maybe throw in the novice program as well. Parent squads will probably get Summit bids soon as well.
I was honestly shocked that they didn't have tinys and minis at Summit from the beginning. I'm glad they didn't, but with all they do, that one surprised me.

Im an outlier. I can’t stand Disney, or the humidity, and to me, Summit feels just like UCA with different mats & backdrops. In my area, we previously complained about the lack of Summit bids, but now with International Summit & D2, it feels like just about every gym & every team has a bid. Not very elite or special, but I get the Varsity hustle. So, instead of complaining, I try and focus on the positive. How happy my daughter is & how much she loves her teammates & the pure joy she finds in competing on big stages.

With almost all of the summit bids having been given out for this year, I am wondering how parents of kids who won't be going to summit feel. Are you happy to save the money or do you wish that your kid got the opportunity this year?

Last year was CP's first year not going to Summit since its inception. I was thrilled to save the money and not go last year but I enjoy The Summit. CP cheers for a gym that does Varsity events, too. I cared just as much about Summit on the youth and junior years as I do the senior years. CP is S5R now but first went on a Y2 team. Her team did not make day 2 one year and had a blast at Epcot. I know what I've signed up for every year at the parent meeting as far as bid chasing , we get out competitions we are attending in May at the parent meeting.

Yes, getting a Summit bid means everything to CP's team. I have seen a lot of Summit-worthy teams not getting bids this year.

I'm kind of wondering if there are any teams out there who truly thought they should have a bid and didn't get one (especially at the higher levels). We were lucky in that we didn't have to travel this year, the GSSA/Aloha acquisition added so many local events with bids. But it also seemed like everyone and their brother got a bid this year. Plenty of teams who really didn't earn being in the top, but lucked out due to the universal bid declaration. We are going again, and I'm pretty much over it.

I'm kind of wondering if there are any teams out there who truly thought they should have a bid and didn't get one (especially at the higher levels). We were lucky in that we didn't have to travel this year, the GSSA/Aloha acquisition added so many local events with bids. But it also seemed like everyone and their brother got a bid this year. Plenty of teams who really didn't earn being in the top, but lucked out due to the universal bid declaration. We are going again, and I'm pretty much over it.

It hasn't been that way in our area. There are tons of teams that are bid worthy that have not received a bid.

I would agree with this. Saw two competitions this year where (due to universal bid) there was only one eligible team. Were they the most deserving? Not in my opinion. But I don't have a dog in the fight this year ;)

CPs first year in full year All-Star, I thought her team deserved a bid. They were really close at Cheersport but their difficulty wasn't high enough yet to get a higher score. They added in a ton more and took 1st at almost every other comp after that. The comp where they did their best and got their highest score wasn't a Varsity comp so no chance for a bid. Then they still ended up winning but they made some mistakes on Day 1 at their last Varsity comp so score was too low to get a bid. It just stinks that although I thought they could have done really well, they never got a bid. They did get a full paid bid to another EOS comp where they did win and took grand champs though so that was fun for the girls - probably a lot less exp than going to Disney.

If CP had been competing this year with that first team, I really think they'd have done well. We had a team last year get a WC bid and I just don't think I'd want to go on a WC bid unless you knew you would do awesome. I think their team left on a Thurs and came back on a Monday - too much missed school when they were done on Friday..

I do think that all Levels should still have the opportunity to go though - because some girls just won't get some of those tumbling skills even if they are awesome at Level 1 or Level 2.

Back