All-Star Olympics Just Granted Cheer Provisional Staus

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Anyone else notice the terrible examples of cheerleading different media outlets have used in their coverage of this announcement. I know twitter is a buzz about GMA's choice of sideline cheerleaders in its coverage but I have seen much worse from local news outlets all over the country, mostly pics like below. Why, why why!! Is this what they really think will be on Olympic sport????

20gblg4.png

YES.

That is why the public perception of cheerleaders and cheerleading really truly matters. People scoff when you bring it up but now we are seeing the results of all our actions

I also mentioned on twitter that lawmakers, doctors and school administrators internalize the inaccurate media put out about our sport, resulting in things like cheerleaders having to lie to doctors and say that they are gymnasts in order for doctors to take their injuries seriously (especially HS cheerleaders) and schools seeing no need to provide cheerleaders w/ basic amenities. I want to spit.

It's not that they can't find the right information, they just don't care enough to. And notice how many 'funny' ratings the FB post received? Because people think cheer is a joke, BECAUSE of false media like this.

Whilst I have mainly seen the more negative, short skirt, pom pom image of cheer in news about this, there has been some more positive articles about it like this one, which includes quotes from the head coach and director of my gym (who is also one of the head coaches for Team England).

Cheerleading is a sport, get over it - BBC Newsbeat

And some coaches and athletes from my gym were on the radio and a Facebook live video with the presenters talking about it and trying to inform the public what conpetitive cheerleading really is which was cool!

Anyone else notice the terrible examples of cheerleading different media outlets have used in their coverage of this announcement. I know twitter is a buzz about GMA's choice of sideline cheerleaders in its coverage but I have seen much worse from local news outlets all over the country, mostly pics like below. Why, why why!! Is this what they really think will be on Olympic sport????

20gblg4.png

That image makes me wants to cry! That is exactly why people don't get what all star cheer is really all about......SMH!

When it comes to people knowing the difference between cheer (all-star, HS etc) and NFL cheerleaders, not everyone will know the difference. Now when it comes to Media reporting this new news heck yeah they should do the research and report accurate info. But average joe should not be expected to know the difference. Also with the many different forms you can't expect every person to know the difference. There will be people who will not give two poops about the difference. Idk I always :confused: when this gets brought up. Not everyone knows every detail about cheer. And that's okay.

When it comes to people knowing the difference between cheer (all-star, HS etc) and NFL cheerleaders, not everyone will know the difference. Now when it comes to Media reporting this new news heck yeah they should do the research and report accurate info. But average joe should not be expected to know the difference. Also with the many different forms you can't expect every person to know the difference. There will be people who will not give two poops about the difference. Idk I always :confused: when this gets brought up. Not everyone knows every detail about cheer. And that's okay.

Yes, but people are basically using click bait for the olympic news when it is just adding to the problem. If someone is excited to see "cheerleading" in the olympics and they have DCC and other NFL teams in mind they are in for a big shock.....

I love this as well, we of all people should know not to say "X sport is so easy/not athletic"

I don't think I've seen a single person say it's not athletic enough to be Olympic; I'm still working on putting my thoughts together in a way that won't get me skinned alive, but my pause has nothing to do with the athletic ability of the athletes.

I don't think I've seen a single person say it's not athletic enough to be Olympic; I'm still working on putting my thoughts together in a way that won't get me skinned alive, but my pause has nothing to do with the athletic ability of the athletes.
Pm me I want to know ;). I won't skin you I promise

Valid question for those saying ICU/varsity aren't correlated and varsity doesn't stand to lose...even if ICU isn't going to be the "Olympic model" they base whatever is going to come of this on....

How many international teams are going to choose that model over what we currently know as ICU (for funding, national pride, popularity of sport, etc). They will have to rotate the world championships in the three off years during an Olympic cycle, so it won't be held at Disney every year (or even in the US for that matter).

How many of those teams that compete at ICU will then not be competing as all star teams a few days later at worlds? How many athletes do you think that is cutting out of paying USASF/varsity to attend worlds. At what point will worlds then just become a "supernational" competition without international athletes and lose its allure to other US teams (especially IOC/IAG US teams who can compete against mostly the same teams at NCA).

Worlds can still be called "worlds" to all star cheer, but what is that going to do to the true international field of competition and athletes (and flow of money).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen a few people question why it's considered a sport.
I can kind of get where people are coming from, based solely off how all star cheer is 'packaged' on Twitter and Instagram. Yeah, there are some incredible videos of stunt sequences and tumbling, but there are just as many (if not more) videos and photos that more closely resemble what NFL "cheerleaders" do. The excessive rhinestoneing, oddly (and sometimes inappropriately) placed cutouts, and mesh to "cover" stomachs also does not help.
Most of the comments I've seen haven't really said why cheer shouldn't be a sport, it's mostly been stuff like "Well, if figure skating, rhythmic gymnastics, and race walking are sports, then why shouldn't cheer be?"
I would be excellent at race walking. Slow walkers I just push aside when they're in the way ;)

Back