All-Star Olympics Just Granted Cheer Provisional Staus

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Valid question for those saying ICU/varsity aren't correlated and varsity doesn't stand to lose...even if ICU isn't going to be the "Olympic model" they base whatever is going to come of this on....

How many international teams are going to choose that model over what we currently know as ICU (for funding, national pride, popularity of sport, etc). They will have to rotate the world championships in the three off years during an Olympic cycle, so it won't be held at Disney every year (or even in the US for that matter).

How many of those teams that compete at ICU will then not be competing as all star teams a few days later at worlds? How many athletes do you think that is cutting out of paying USASF/varsity to attend worlds. At what point will worlds then just become a "supernational" competition without international athletes and lose its allure to other US teams (especially IOC/IAG US teams who can compete against mostly the same teams at NCA).

Worlds can still be called "worlds" to all star cheer, but what is that going to do to the true international field of competition and athletes (and flow of money).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well said. Speaking solely from a business standpoint, people can agree or disagree with the choices of Varsity, however, they have risked hundreds of millions of dollars in their investments and legal over the years to get cheer to where it is. If you look at any other sport, they are following almost an identical path to get cheer the same organization and recognition. They have made money, huge money but, they have stood to lose huge money and have employed, directly and indirectly, thousands of people. If we think solely about all of the privately owned businesses from gyms to bow makers and corps such as Nike, airlines and hotels that have benefited from their financial risk it's very impressive. Mistakes happen, some businesses lose but, love 'em or hate 'em, I have a business crush on Varsity.

Yeah I mean you can't really blame non-cheer people for not knowing the difference...

2eg67t4.jpg
This.

yet parents endorse this by paying for these uniforms year after year after year.............................
I but blame on the gyms. It's hard when you're not sure whether you're the only parent who feels that way.

Well said. Speaking solely from a business standpoint, people can agree or disagree with the choices of Varsity, however, they have risked hundreds of millions of dollars in their investments and legal over the years to get cheer to where it is. If you look at any other sport, they are following almost an identical path to get cheer the same organization and recognition. They have made money, huge money but, they have stood to lose huge money and have employed, directly and indirectly, thousands of people. If we think solely about all of the privately owned businesses from gyms to bow makers and corps such as Nike, airlines and hotels that have benefited from their financial risk it's very impressive. Mistakes happen, some businesses lose but, love 'em or hate 'em, I have a business crush on Varsity.
Except for actually claiming cheer as a sport. Expert says cheerleading not competitive sport

Yesterday learned that the Olymplics has been handing out particpation medals to all of their athletes for 120 years. 2000 Sydney had the prettiest medal of all of the ones I saw.

This has nothing to do with olympic cheer whatsoever but I just thought you all should know.
LOL. That's going to kill a lot of the "the Olympics doesn't hand out participation medals, so why should we?" arguments.

Haven't been on here in years, but I'm making a return just to comment on this :cheering:

I'm entirely conflicted on this because as stated, I don't believe this will affect all star cheer's current model at all. Personally I think worlds, NCA, and Varsity will all remain the same. Where I do see an affect is in high school and college cheer and for personal selfish reasons I'm not so sure I'm happy about it. Will the NCAA be forced to make cheer a sport or keep it at its current status but not allow us to compete? I'm concerned it would be the latter. I am almost positive the same thing would happen for high school cheer which is the arena that I spent most of my time in and feel passionately about. I would hate to see that die. I understand the issues with high school cheer nationwide but I can only attest to my own state. If anyone pays attention to high school cheer at all, Illinois has been on an entirely different level these past few years (on the same level or better than Georgia I would argue). I want nothing more than this trend to continue.

On the other hand, this is what I've waited for my whole life and I can't help but be excited. I am sure if it ends up in the olympics, it'll become one of the mainstream sports that most of the general public watches. It's entertaining and people are going love that. Regardless, the next generation of cheerleaders is going to be growing up in a verrrry different world and I'm eager to see how it'll all play out.

Participation Medals | Olympic Artifacts

1972 Munich was the worst IMO. They went for like a Bauhaus inspired design. It reaffirmed my hatred for Bauhaus design.

Vancouvers is nice. It comes second to Sydney.

I didn't realize, but it kind of makes sense. The Olympics is something that takes a lot of skill and effort to get an invite too so giving everyone something to remember their experience by doesn't annoy me the same way some child sports have stopped being scored.

What we consider "all star" is NOT what they are considering for the Olympics. It will be closer to A&T that is already a recognized NCAA sport and growing at an exponential rate or (as already mentioned) IOC. Here are just some of the hurdles "Acro Sport" has to overcome:
1. No 12 year olds allowed. The minimum age for Olympic participation is 15.
2. Standardized scoring and system for ranking. Pretty much every other Olympic sport has a series of Zones, Regionals, and Nationals that athletes compete in to reach elite status.
3. International competition. All of the sports my kids have been involved in that can result in Olympics requires International competing at some point.
4. Taking the "pageant" out of the competition and focusing on solid skills.

Basically everyone who thinks their 9 year old is going to Tokyo needs to take a seat. I'm guessing if they operate like every other Olympic team sport, there will be recruiting from top level teams just like gymnastics and literally 20 athletes every 4 years will be selected to compete. It's not going to be like Worlds were every gym that came managed to throw together a level 5 team will be showing up.
What could possibly happen is a completely new offshoot of "cheer" that runs like A&T or STUNT but starting at a much younger age, taking numbers away from what we consider traditional AS cheer. I would love to know what Varsity is saying, if anything.

What we consider "all star" is NOT what they are considering for the Olympics. It will be closer to A&T that is already a recognized NCAA sport and growing at an exponential rate or (as already mentioned) IOC. Here are just some of the hurdles "Acro Sport" has to overcome:
1. No 12 year olds allowed. The minimum age for Olympic participation is 15.
2. Standardized scoring and system for ranking. Pretty much every other Olympic sport has a series of Zones, Regionals, and Nationals that athletes compete in to reach elite status.
3. International competition. All of the sports my kids have been involved in that can result in Olympics requires International competing at some point.
4. Taking the "pageant" out of the competition and focusing on solid skills.

Basically everyone who thinks their 9 year old is going to Tokyo needs to take a seat. I'm guessing if they operate like every other Olympic team sport, there will be recruiting from top level teams just like gymnastics and literally 20 athletes every 4 years will be selected to compete. It's not going to be like Worlds were every gym that came managed to throw together a level 5 team will be showing up.
What could possibly happen is a completely new offshoot of "cheer" that runs like A&T or STUNT but starting at a much younger age, taking numbers away from what we consider traditional AS cheer. I would love to know what Varsity is saying, if anything.

If Jeff Webb's opinion is the same as Varsity's, he's been pushing for it.

Meeting minutes of last ICU meeting (with mention of World Games in 2021 to your point #3): http://cheerunion.org.ismmedia.com/...ICU_2016_General-Assembly-Meeting-Minutes.pdf

I didn't realize, but it kind of makes sense. The Olympics is something that takes a lot of skill and effort to get an invite to so giving everyone something to remember their experience by doesn't annoy me the same way some child sports have stopped being scored.
Yes. It's hard to even QUALIFY for the Olympic team, let alone place. An example of qualifying is, one of my friends was running at Zones and her little brother said "You came last and you suck". She said "Yeah, well at least I got to Zones, you didn't even get past schools". Shut down. And especially at Summit, it's so hard to just get a bid, so placing is an added bonus.

Back