All-Star Parent Viewing Areas

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

We have a parent area - the guideline is that you can watch once in a while, but coaches really don't want parents watching their kids at every practice. I know our owners have talked to parents that they deemed "disruptive" in the past.

And the practice before a major competition is always closed, except for the last 10 minutes.

My gym has a lobby where there is a tv on the wall that shows the floor so the parents can watch from that if the cameras are on. There is also a few parents that stand at the glass door (which personally i hate when they do cause its just destracting for everyone) but for tryouts everythings is cut off and parents can't see in. When we have our showcases before competitons the parents are aloud in to watch a few rutines after we warmup and start doing rutines.

We have a parent viewing area. Frustrating when Coach Mom comes in. I think the one-way mirrors are the best idea I've heard, ever! We also have a little snack shack, but most people don't want to pay $2.50 for a Gatorade. We have a big tv, but it never feeds from the cam inside the gym. And the parent area blinds are always open except the month before our first comp. The coaches have been more than generous with allowing parents to watch...and critique...and attempt to coach...and criticize...and complain...and criticize some more...

We have a parent viewing area. Frustrating when Coach Mom comes in. I think the one-way mirrors are the best idea I've heard, ever! We also have a little snack shack, but most people don't want to pay $2.50 for a Gatorade. We have a big tv, but it never feeds from the cam inside the gym. And the parent area blinds are always open except the month before our first comp. The coaches have been more than generous with allowing parents to watch...and critique...and attempt to coach...and criticize...and complain...and criticize some more...

The mirrors are fab! The only caveat is you have to keep the lights out or the kids can see you up there. It works fairly well except for the random parent who feels compelled to turn the lights on so they can do college work, or work on their laptop etc (which could easily be done elsewhere).

And could there be another reason for no viewing? Do you all realize that the cheer industry is one of the last, but certainly the LARGEST group dealing with children that do not make criminal background checks mandatory? I get the distraction of parents watching, of interrupting, etc....but if USASF and AACCA and Varsity tell me, as the parent, to 'make sure the coach is certified, etc"....just where is the web site to do this? All it takes is one nut-case coach (or owner) to destroy a child's life. Here is what is more disturbing....1 in every 6 girls will be molested before they are 18...1 in every 9 boys. Part of protecting our children is to do preventative maintenance....open those viewing windows, open up the gyms, parents....let the coaches coach...coaches and gym owners, let the parents parent.

And could there be another reason for no viewing? Do you all realize that the cheer industry is one of the last, but certainly the LARGEST group dealing with children that do not make criminal background checks mandatory? I get the distraction of parents watching, of interrupting, etc....but if USASF and AACCA and Varsity tell me, as the parent, to 'make sure the coach is certified, etc"....just where is the web site to do this? All it takes is one nut-case coach (or owner) to destroy a child's life. Here is what is more disturbing....1 in every 6 girls will be molested before they are 18...1 in every 9 boys. Part of protecting our children is to do preventative maintenance....open those viewing windows, open up the gyms, parents....let the coaches coach...coaches and gym owners, let the parents parent.

It's great to make sure parents are aware of how they can protect their children. Any USASF certified gym or coaches should show you their credentials when you go to register. Make sure to ask for it if you are curious, but please don't ask during practice or be disruptive.

It's not so great to try and scare parents into thinking their kids are possibly being mistreated when a gym chooses to close practice to spectators. If you don't trust the gym with your kids, don't go there. Otherwise having a closed or open practice is the gym's decision.

Having a closed practice is NOT equal to having a coach alone with a child in the gym. ACE doesn't allow this under any circumstances.

Here's the website to search for AACCA certification:

http://www.aacca.org/content.aspx?item=Resources/CoachSearch.xml

For the USASF gym certification or coaches credentials, you will still have to ask the gym to show you or contact USASF. I would like to see the search that you mention. If a gym is certified, then all the coaches have had background checks.

It's great to make sure parents are aware of how they can protect their children. Any USASF certified gym or coaches should show you their credentials when you go to register. Make sure to ask for it if you are curious, but please don't ask during practice or be disruptive.

It's not so great to try and scare parents into thinking their kids are possibly being mistreated when a gym chooses to close practice to spectators. If you don't trust the gym with your kids, don't go there. Otherwise having a closed or open practice is the gym's decision.
Not trying to scare parents....these are facts. But curious as to the need to have closed doors. If the gym has confident, qualified coaches....then what is the point of closing the practices? And as for the credentials, unless ALL coaches, administrators, janitors, etc. are back ground checked, checking your child's instructor/coach will not be adequate. And a question for you, why doesn't AACCA or USASF or anyone make background checks mandatory? No one seems to have this answer. This would be a good thing for kids...

Not trying to scare parents....these are facts. But curious as to the need to have closed doors. If the gym has confident, qualified coaches....then what is the point of closing the practices? And as for the credentials, unless ALL coaches, administrators, janitors, etc. are back ground checked, checking your child's instructor/coach will not be adequate. And a question for you, why doesn't AACCA or USASF or anyone make background checks mandatory? No one seems to have this answer. This would be a good thing for kids...

1. Parents that think they are coaches
2. Kids that pay attention to parents instead of coaches

Cheer is not the only sport that closes practices.

And USASF is moving toward mandatory background checks. But it has to be a bit more evolutionary than many of us would prefer.

I've seen both. Some gyms you can just come in and watch whenever you feel like. Others I've seen it's only on weekdays, or you can watch whenever unless they say you can't (like in an email the week before they might say that practice is closed for the rest of the month).

I totally "get" why they want to close practices because sometimes moms can be disruptive or distracting. :oops: I just hate it because I drive over an hour to get there and then I have to find somewhere else to go for the 2 hours of practice. Which would be fine except for some reason the things I find to entertain me ALWAYS seem to cost money. At our last gym the thing I found to entertain me was a ZALES down the street. :eek:

I know what you mean. My daughter's gym is next to Target and the mall. Every time I go to Target no matter what I am there for it's $80!! I also agree that parents are often a distraction - IMO some are ALWAYS a distraction! I know our teams progress further when parents aren't watching.

1. Parents that think they are coaches
2. Kids that pay attention to parents instead of coaches

Cheer is not the only sport that closes practices.

And USASF is moving toward mandatory background checks. But it has to be a bit more evolutionary than many of us would prefer.
Simple. The regulatory organization-USASF or the safety organization-in this case, AACCA, should collect the money for the back ground check at the same time as the coaches membership. This takes it out of the hands of the gym owners to be honest and thorough. This makes it mandatory. Other sports do not leave it up to the coaches or educators...it is always the responsibility of the ultimate responsible party, i.e., school districts, universities, etc.
And for Zinger (above this post)....totally get the distracting parents and siblings....but we should be worried about the total protection of the children.....and not keeping the parents at bay. Lay the rules down, violation and the parents are given walking papers....are we too afraid of losing clients? Those type you do not need.

with gas prices being so high, I do not want to drive to the gym and then home. Drive back again, then home. I don't want to have to go shopping and spend money. During the winter in NE you can't wait in your car. I don't see the harm in bringing a book or your laptop and waiting for your child in the gym. Its nice to have a viewing window, so you can see if you want. Its nice to get to know the other parents and the staff.

Future said:
Simple. The regulatory organization-USASF or the safety organization-in this case, AACCA, should collect the money for the back ground check at the same time as the coaches membership. This takes it out of the hands of the gym owners to be honest and thorough. This makes it mandatory. Other sports do not leave it up to the coaches or educators...it is always the responsibility of the ultimate responsible party, i.e., school districts, universities, etc.
And for Zinger (above this post)....totally get the distracting parents and siblings....but we should be worried about the total protection of the children.....and not keeping the parents at bay. Lay the rules down, violation and the parents are given walking papers....are we too afraid of losing clients? Those type you do not need.

I have no problem with mandatory background checks. A smart business owner should do them, though I have no idea how much they cost.

As far as closed practices, the distractions some cause are unbelieveable. Sometimes you just need to kick the parents out. No child should ever be left alone with a coach though. There should always be someone with them, to protect the child and the coach.

I agree that all people that work with children should get background checks and have them updated every year. With that being said, I am a teacher who has a background check and nothing to hide but I do not like parents in the room when I am trying to teach. Kids are confused as to who is in charge- me or the parent. That happens at the gym too. In order for the coaches to have the authority to get the most out of the athlete sometimes they need the parents to not be there.
Just think, if practices are open that means any pedophile can be in there watching your child stretch, dance, etc. At our school, parents must also have background checks to come into the school. So if we want to keep our kids completely safe, the only way, would be to have eveyone that steps foot into the gym get a background check and that is not very practical. So instead we must educate our children of dangers and how to protect themselves in ALL situations.

Back