All-Star Random Cheerleading Questions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Fun fact from the Top Gun Ohio Twitter:
c805e96bfed2149f683a6641f4ac5bc9.jpg

I've always wondered...

Depends on what is included in the "session"? Are you getting open gyms or tumbling instruction for the month? Because then it's kind of a month of tuition. If it's just tryouts and a shirt... seems on the high end, especially for an open team.
It's for all teams regardless of division
%5BURL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/lwires94/media/A4096465-14A0-4253-B337-D3FE6E458DAA_zpshetjz4mi.png.html][/URL]
Eta: not sure if that posted so I put it below as well.. I hate using my phone sometimes

I understand the rest but I'm just asking straight up if a team that chooses to go XS and not enter Small for worlds has an end of the year competition. So basically the answer is no. Thank you!
Yeah the answer is no if they choose not to go to worlds as a small team, but if they win a bid at a comp where they were listed as a small, they would have a choice to turn it down since there is no xsmall div at worlds and would automatically be placed in small but why would they turn it down? So yes they do have a year end comp at worlds as small unless the team decides to not accept a bid they may have won while competing as an xsmall. The choice is theirs as long as they win a bid.

Technically you are right there is no xsmall div at end of year comps such as, worlds and summit, but it depends on how you look at it :)

Last edited:
Yeah the answer is no if they choose not to go to worlds as a small team, but if they win a bid at a comp where they were listed as a small, they would have a choice to turn it down since there is no xsmall div at worlds and would automatically be placed in small but why would they turn it down? So yes they do have a year end comp at worlds as small unless the team decides to not accept a bid they may have won while competing as an xsmall. The choice is theirs as long as they win a bid.

Technically you are right there is no xsmall div at end of year comps such as, worlds and summit, but it depends on how you look at it :)

No disrespect but my question has been answered. If an XS team who plans to stay XS has an end of the year competition. No ifs ands or buts. That's all I wanted to know :) Thank you

So @EricaElite and I were talking, and we want to try out for an IO(C)5/6 team and were discussing tryout fees. Infinity All Stars here in Jax has a $125 tryout fee. That is for the entire session now through June 2nd. It also includes a t-shirt and swag bag. What's it like for other teams? More or less expensive? Or is there even one at all?
Holy cow. Our fee is $10. Although the tryout is two hours of showing your jumps, tumbling etc with a large group of kids of the same age group. There's no tshirt or swag bag.

So @EricaElite and I were talking, and we want to try out for an IO(C)5/6 team and were discussing tryout fees. Infinity All Stars here in Jax has a $125 tryout fee. That is for the entire session now through June 2nd. It also includes a t-shirt and swag bag. What's it like for other teams? More or less expensive? Or is there even one at all?

Wow it's probably because my gym only has 4 teams as of now but it's totally free to try out and there is a $10 clinic that is optional. We aren't expected to pay a thing until we are fully committed to the gym/team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is this Tryout fee you speak of?
We've never paid and usually will just have a clinic or two before the one day of tryouts...

(But seriously, I know the bigger gyms in our area have a much more formal tryout and fees...I know one gym had to have your tryout packet turned in almost a month before the actual tryout...)

What is this Tryout fee you speak of?
We've never paid and usually will just have a clinic or two before the one day of tryouts...

(But seriously, I know the bigger gyms in our area have a much more formal tryout and fees...I know one gym had to have your tryout packet turned in almost a month before the actual tryout...)
I find that gyms put tryout fees in place to avoid the serial tryout athletes. A small fee lowers the chance that a kid is going to try out at your gym "just for kicks." It's really, really, really hard to create teams when you have a number of kids who never planned on cheering at your gym try out.

I find that gyms put tryout fees in place to avoid the serial tryout athletes. A small fee lowers the chance that a kid is going to try out at your gym "just for kicks." It's really, really, really hard to create teams when you have a number of kids who never planned on cheering at your gym try out.

I support a try-out fee. For exactly the same reason you said.

I know of gyms whose contracts have families financially obligated though June, when try-outs are in May. So people will come to try-outs knowing that they will be leaving the gym. They show up because they think that their kid will be treated badly or ignored during the month of June if it is known that they are leaving. (just like you don't give too much notice when leaving a job, 2 weeks is standard) It really screws up team placements.

I recently talked to a gym that told me "Have your CP come to our gym and see it, let them get the feel of the place. Test the environment first before you have them try out. Don't waste your time or ours. And I think that this is a good way to avoid serial try-outs.

Yea - my comment was kind of meant as a joke - since our gym just doesn't have one and doesn't really have what I see at other gyms with the big production of try outs and waiting a week and wondering. Since we're so small, it's not like you're hoping to be placed on this team or that team...and the only real try-outs are for new people - as the coaches already know what the returning people have (no one from Level 1 is going to start throwing a full for try-outs)

At your program where are side bases to hold in extended one legged stunts? Currently I tell my sides to set for the stunt with their front hand on the flyer's shin and back hand to be in the middle of the flyers right foot, after the dip the back hand stays put and the top hand guides/throws the shin up and at the top of the stunt it goes on top of the right shoe (where the shoelaces are) and pulls up/stabilizes. I have seen different variations this season, and now I'm curious because my kids really struggle with extended one legged stunts.

We used to do the 'hamburger' grip at first, with the left hand on top of the foot. But at a coaches course a few years ago we were told it's better for the side base to put their left hand on the main bases wrist. The explanation they gave really made sense for me.

Both of our arms are usually equally long. If we hold an extended stunt with fully extended arms, like we should, then it's physically not possible for our side bases' left hand to be on top of the flyers' foot and still pull up. The only thing you will be doing is pull the stunt down. On the other side, if your hand is under the foot, at the main bases' wrist you can push the stunt up.
This has been working really well for us.

Only 'downside' is that your flyer needs to have enough stability in her ankle to keer from rolling in or out. But IMO that's an upside as well if they're able to do so...

Back