All-Star Random Cheerleading Questions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Posted this in the random thread but am also posting it here because it's a random cheerleading question and will probably get more views here....
So I have a meeting tomorrow with my coach about media ways to get our program (college team) out to more people and schools. I plan on talking about updating our website since it hasn't been updated since like 2011 (yikes) and making sure there is tryout information and stuff on there, doing more frequent posts on our Facebook page (one of our assistant coaches runs it and right now the only thing that really happens on it is the occasional bulk upload of pictures, more twitter updates and like a legit twitter presence (two of my teammates made the twitter--without knowledge of my coach I believe-- and they haven't posted anything since September). Anyone have any suggestion about media ways our team info out there more to prospective cheerleaders?
I always love when college teams make a "promo video" and post it on all your social media and you could get CU to retweet it, that would help!

Posted this in the random thread but am also posting it here because it's a random cheerleading question and will probably get more views here....
So I have a meeting tomorrow with my coach about media ways to get our program (college team) out to more people and schools. I plan on talking about updating our website since it hasn't been updated since like 2011 (yikes) and making sure there is tryout information and stuff on there, doing more frequent posts on our Facebook page (one of our assistant coaches runs it and right now the only thing that really happens on it is the occasional bulk upload of pictures, more twitter updates and like a legit twitter presence (two of my teammates made the twitter--without knowledge of my coach I believe-- and they haven't posted anything since September). Anyone have any suggestion about media ways our team info out there more to prospective cheerleaders?
Definitely get the website updated! That's the first place I've always gone to look at a schools cheer program. It helped a lot for my tiny school. We had a roster and tryout info, along with various pictures. If you pm me I can send you a link to it. That's how I found out about the program and other recruits went there for info. I also like cheer teams that have a good Facebook page because you can get an inside look with pictures and videos to see what the team looks like and kind of skills are expected and what to expect if you make the team, plus it helps with the image and style portion too.
I don't do too much twitter so I can't really put input on that, but I do follow a lot of college teams on Instagram, so that's something to consider, but definitely update the website and make sure there's a link from the schools athletic website. That's my biggest recommendation.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Definitely get the website updated! That's the first place I've always gone to look at a schools cheer program. It helped a lot for my tiny school. We had a roster and tryout info, along with various pictures. If you pm me I can send you a link to it. That's how I found out about the program and other recruits went there for info. I also like cheer teams that have a good Facebook page because you can get an inside look with pictures and videos to see what the team looks like and kind of skills are expected and what to expect if you make the team, plus it helps with the image and style portion too.
I don't do too much twitter so I can't really put input on that, but I do follow a lot of college teams on Instagram, so that's something to consider, but definitely update the website and make sure there's a link from the schools athletic website. That's my biggest recommendation.

Thanks! Our website is pretty well, I'm just gonna be truthful and say bad. It's just a "Spirit Squad" page on the athletics site that includes a little blurb about us, the dance team and the pep band. I'm hoping that we can get a page just for the cheerleaders so we can get separate pages for a roster, tryout info and like FAQs or whatever. Currently it just says that we take 8 guys and 8 girls which hasn't been true for the last two years since we took 12 & 13 girls in addition to the guys. That's all it says about tryouts, so I've had people message me on Facebook, Instagram and actually someone from on here asking about tryout information. I have no problem answering questions but I'm sure people would rather just have the information be available to them I'm also hoping to talk my coach into even considering getting new uniforms because that will help with the style thing too hehe

I agree that the website is really important, but I also know that a lot of times that can be a tough process to get more/more current information on the Spirit Squad page since that's typically not an administrative priority. So, if your coach can't get that changed I would really hit the social media like everyone else has suggested!

One thing that I don't think has been mentioned is YouTube - I like when programs have a coordinated "team channel" with clearly labeled videos (rather than everyone just posting videos in a disorganized way). While this seems a little dated with all the other social media options, if people Google your team, often the YouTube links will come up near the top of the results and allow them to see more current info/footage from your team to give them a better sense of the program than your current athletics website. Plus you can still link the videos to Facebook/Twitter. I'm sure there's a more scientific way to steer the Google results, but that's worked for me in the past at the old school I coached at where we were in a similar situation to what you've described.

With Facebook/Twitter, I think the regular posting is key, but I also stress to my team that they need to share/comment on what I post so that we get a wider reach. Me just posting doesn't do too much, but when they all share what I post, I see our reach increase exponentially, so I think that's an important part of the social media aspect.

I also directly mail/email information to HS and AS coaches on a regular basis. This is a little more time consuming - so I guess it just depends how much time you want/have to invest. I have a pretty solid database of email and mail addresses for AS gyms in the northeast and Midwest, and a smaller one for HS coaches/programs. I'm happy to share if it would be helpful to your team, just message me!

I agree that the website is really important, but I also know that a lot of times that can be a tough process to get more/more current information on the Spirit Squad page since that's typically not an administrative priority. So, if your coach can't get that changed I would really hit the social media like everyone else has suggested!

One thing that I don't think has been mentioned is YouTube - I like when programs have a coordinated "team channel" with clearly labeled videos (rather than everyone just posting videos in a disorganized way). While this seems a little dated with all the other social media options, if people Google your team, often the YouTube links will come up near the top of the results and allow them to see more current info/footage from your team to give them a better sense of the program than your current athletics website. Plus you can still link the videos to Facebook/Twitter. I'm sure there's a more scientific way to steer the Google results, but that's worked for me in the past at the old school I coached at where we were in a similar situation to what you've described.

With Facebook/Twitter, I think the regular posting is key, but I also stress to my team that they need to share/comment on what I post so that we get a wider reach. Me just posting doesn't do too much, but when they all share what I post, I see our reach increase exponentially, so I think that's an important part of the social media aspect.

I also directly mail/email information to HS and AS coaches on a regular basis. This is a little more time consuming - so I guess it just depends how much time you want/have to invest. I have a pretty solid database of email and mail addresses for AS gyms in the northeast and Midwest, and a smaller one for HS coaches/programs. I'm happy to share if it would be helpful to your team, just message me!
I didn't even think of making a YouTube account for the team, thank you!! Totally agree that people are more likely to see videos more often if team members share or retweet them or whatever but I had but considered talking to her about that at all. And love the idea of emailing high schools, I know that's something that's been brought up before to our coach especially to email the HS teams that are coed because we have a hard time finding new guys. I will have to remember to write that down. Thank you so much :)

I didn't even think of making a YouTube account for the team, thank you!! Totally agree that people are more likely to see videos more often if team members share or retweet them or whatever but I had but considered talking to her about that at all. And love the idea of emailing high schools, I know that's something that's been brought up before to our coach especially to email the HS teams that are coed because we have a hard time finding new guys. I will have to remember to write that down. Thank you so much :)

I know because I follow them, (I'm sure more schools do it) but Baylor Acro+Tumbling and Oregon Acro+Tumbling have instagram pages where they regularly post shorts instavideos of their tumbling and stunting progress or them just doing workouts and I really enjoy watching them!
Could be great in addition to youtube videos.

Having something on your website or facebook page about tryouts and requirements would be helpful. My CP is a senior and none of the schools she is interested in have that info available. She has emailed the contacts listed and has not heard from one of them.

@BuegeSmalls Whoops, posted too soon!

When are your tryouts? If they are in the spring, do you offer a second tryout in the fall during/after orientation week? When I tried out for college, almost everyone who showed up for spring tryouts was a returning member. The majority of freshman/transfer students came from a fall tryout that we did during orientation week. It was easier to get the word out to new students on campus when we were able to set up a booth during orientation to draw new members. We did a few summer practices and fundraisers, but held off on most stuff (including camps) until the fall.

I agree with what some other posters have said, Instagram is a great way to get your program name out! Post pics at games, at practices, from the Packers games, screencaps of the squad being show on TV from the Packers games... I feel like that would be very attractive to potential members!

@BuegeSmalls Whoops, posted too soon!

When are your tryouts? If they are in the spring, do you offer a second tryout in the fall during/after orientation week? When I tried out for college, almost everyone who showed up for spring tryouts was a returning member. The majority of freshman/transfer students came from a fall tryout that we did during orientation week. It was easier to get the word out to new students on campus when we were able to set up a booth during orientation to draw new members. We did a few summer practices and fundraisers, but held off on most stuff (including camps) until the fall.

I agree with what some other posters have said, Instagram is a great way to get your program name out! Post pics at games, at practices, from the Packers games, screencaps of the squad being show on TV from the Packers games... I feel like that would be very attractive to potential members!

Tryouts are only in the spring since we have to have stuff ready for Packer games in the beginning of August and during the fall we wouldn't have much time to catch new members up on everything and learn more new things. I know that we do a booth during the freshman "focus" week (basically you're assigned a day to come to campus and set up your schedule and stuff like that), and I think that's where we get the majority of guys interested (besides word of mouth from their friends lol).
I think I will for sure bring up instagram because it's so popular and such an easy way to share photos and stuff to a large audience! Thank you so much to everyone who has given me ideas!! It's very much appreciated :)

Didn't know where else to ask this but, I tore my ACL and go in to meet my doctor and schedule surgery tomorrow. About what is the average recovery time after surgery?

Didn't know where else to ask this but, I tore my ACL and go in to meet my doctor and schedule surgery tomorrow. About what is the average recovery time after surgery?

@LeahofthePack might be able to help you out...she tore her's last year! She tore it at the very end of October and was able to start stunting in June, and then was fully cleared (to do her harder skills) in August I believe. She also tore her meniscus too tho

Back