All-Star Restricting Tumbling To Your All Star Gym Only??

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

We had an issue with a mental block with my CP and went to a new/different tumbling coach who was strictly gymnatics and had a very long background in tumbling. He worked wonders getting thur it and had so many "tricks" for her to try. A different perspective and background in tumbling is a good thing at times.
Many times we've had different visiting instructors in to work with our athletes, and there's that always new sense & desire to please in kids. I've seen kids make leaps and bounds with a fresh set of eyes working with them, because they want to please & impress. At the end of the day, the current team gains the benefit of the skill - so no problem there!

I have read this over many times and to me this does not read like a parent of a cheerleader , this to me sounds like the gym owner or one of their coaches under the direction of the gym owner, why would you want to bring your gym drama back to life when this thread was dead and buried....
I don't believe that parents and cheerleaders are allowed to post per the "contract"

To keep on the topic, I am not a Gym Owner so its hard to speak for one, but because All-Star Cheerleading has become so large and with kids traveling hours and many miles just to be on a team, I think it would be beneficial for those that can't get the extra tumbling at their far away gym and get it from one that is close to their area on off practice days. With millions owning trampolines at home and high schools with cheer teams it would be hard to say that safety is an issue. My son tumbles everyday and be it good or bad, he learned in the grass. I am not a tumble coach but being a street tumbler myself, I taught him to tumble in the grass and on the trampoline as he got older. Now he loves tumbling, he tumbles everywhere literally (Malls, Walmart, driveway, trampoline, yard...etc.) He gets proper training at the gym and he doesn't try new things on the road or in the mall. He's not stupid, and he doesn't go to other gyms to get them to teach him any new skills. He trys new skills at his gym or on our trampoline then gets it perfected by his gym coaches and others on the team. He doesn't worry about trying to be recruited by any other gym. He just wants to be able to tumble on off days on the spring floor like he does in practice. He is absolutely happy where he is and will only leave his gym if the gym no longer existed. He has progressed alot over the years and we contribute that to his tumbling all the time. If our gym had that policy he would only get to practice tumbling 2-3 times a week until comp season. If I restricted him to tumbling only on those days I think he'd wanna quit cheering. He is also into Martial Arts, Parkour/free Running, Flatland BMX, Breakdancing all except Flatland BMX has tumbling in it. If it were a safety issue i'd have to stop him from all those things to include bubble wrapping him for the many miles accumulated from driving to and from practice, school etc (sarcasm):D . So I disagree with the email. I know that it was a dead topic a few days ago until now, JMO!

To keep on the topic, I am not a Gym Owner so its hard to speak for one, but because All-Star Cheerleading has become so large and with kids traveling hours and many miles just to be on a team, I think it would be beneficial for those that can't get the extra tumbling at their far away gym and get it from one that is close to their area on off practice days. With millions owning trampolines at home and high schools with cheer teams it would be hard to say that safety is an issue. My son tumbles everyday and be it good or bad, he learned in the grass. I am not a tumble coach but being a street tumbler myself, I taught him to tumble in the grass and on the trampoline as he got older. Now he loves tumbling, he tumbles everywhere literally (Malls, Walmart, driveway, trampoline, yard...etc.) He gets proper training at the gym and he doesn't try new things on the road or in the mall. He's not stupid, and he doesn't go to other gyms to get them to teach him any new skills. He trys new skills at his gym or on our trampoline then gets it perfected by his gym coaches and others on the team. He doesn't worry about trying to be recruited by any other gym. He just wants to be able to tumble on off days on the spring floor like he does in practice. He is absolutely happy where he is and will only leave his gym if the gym no longer existed. He has progressed alot over the years and we contribute that to his tumbling all the time. If our gym had that policy he would only get to practice tumbling 2-3 times a week until comp season. If I restricted him to tumbling only on those days I think he'd wanna quit cheering. He is also into Martial Arts, Parkour/free Running, Flatland BMX, Breakdancing all except Flatland BMX has tumbling in it. If it were a safety issue i'd have to stop him from all those things to include bubble wrapping him for the many miles accumulated from driving to and from practice, school etc (sarcasm):D . So I disagree with the email. I know that it was a dead topic a few days ago until now, JMO!
What is Flatland BMX? I understand regular BMX'ing can occur in arena's or complexes with similar obstacles and facilities as a skate park would have? Is Flatland, just like long distance riding?

My CP learned to tumble in the grass and on the trampoline too. They love to flip. True story, the neighbors called the cops because of the cheer music. (not a fan of voice overs I guess) the cop asked her what she was doing, right there in the front yard..... she did a back tuck, and said this. The cop said I can't argue with that and left lol My point is that if they love to tumble, they are going to do it everywhere and anywhere. And you can tell them all day long to chill but it's the nature of the beast. It's our job as parents to try to try and keep them safe and direct them to be the best the can be, not someone else to "forbid" anything.

In the words of Maryland Twister Weathergirls, I say this to you..
"Step to Me, Don't think so Girl...."

I will break down your reply with my own replies underneath.
"Don't Quite get it? Listen Up, I'll Explain It...."

Posting other gym's emails on a public forum is so wrong on so many levels and,
this isn't the FIRST time you so kindly posted emails.
As I have previously stated, on this forum (I realize you're new judging by your very few posts) we use examples to discuss virtually every facet of our industry, divisions, scoring, competitions, rankings, uniforms, hairbows, and music.

This topic is no different, this was/is a viable topic, and judging by the replies that were posted here and # of views that it recieved, that supports the fact that it is and continues to be a hot topic in our industy. (As a Cheer Mom based off of your user name, I understand if you don't know anything more about the sport other then how much it costs and what your current tumbling/team level is. No fault there, just an observation.)

Who do you think you are anyway???
I know who I am, I do not hide behind the thought of being with an annoynomous login such as yours :)

Here's what I find amusing about all of your numerous posts about a particular gym......you are obsessed with this gym.
Interesting you say obsessed, (but that is your perogative to evoke any sense of the the word that you choose.. as long as it makes sense in your head. There is no obsession, I feel that you might have it a little twisted... I stand up for and behind what I say. By posting this email and any other messages that I have posted on here, it is contributing to the conversation on viable topics. (See Reply #1 for a further explanation as I do not need to reiterate).

You put so much energy into talking about this gym.
For anyone that knows me, they know how hectic my schedule isand the many different directions and contributions and organizations I work with on a daily basis. Please do not flatter yourself, and suggest that I put much energy into talking about this gym. This gym lent itself nicely utilizing policies that they have in-effect for their members, however, they also lend nicely to conversation on The Fierceboard.com That is what this place is for to garner conversation and input and networking for gyms across the country. (Again, I understand you're new here. You'll see that this website is a vast source of resources and connections that can give you the answer to virtually any.. well almost any problem or question you may have.)

Meanwhile, I've never heard this gym talking about you or any other gyms, coaches or athletes.
I find this hard to believe, you are controdicting yourself here. If you are just a "Cheermama" as your login suggests, then how would you know who I am, unless the above is being violated. I won't elaborate on this issue because I believe it to be a false statement on your behalf.

They don't carry around Barbie dolls like a child to make fun of another owner or coach like YOU do! I would be mortified if a coach from my kid's gym acted that way.
Barbie and Ken? Again, please do not flatter yourself. Unless there is some sort of self-complex or lifelong goal that I am unaware of. Again, I feel that your previous statement about "gym tlking about ou or any other gyms, coaches or athletes" to be false especially if you're making such accusing statements. I think you need to re-evaluate everything that you posted here and eliminate the controdicting statements. Thank-you.

My kids and their friends don't act that way and you, who are suppose to be a coach and mentor do.
I am neither your child, nor your friend. Additionally, if you have never heard anything about me as you suggest in your statement 2 issues above, then how would you know who I am or what I do? But, I will touch on the latter part of your again false statement. I seem to be doing something right, most of my athletes attain new skills at a steady pace. Additionally, I work with a vast amount of athletes from organizations such as Maryland Twisters, University of Delaware, University of Southern Alabama, Morgan State University, and even some from the gym we've been discussing. So please do not judge me, particuarly if you've never heard anything about me (as you suggested was the case above, even though I find that to again.. false.)

Shame on you!
Thank you "Mom".

This is all I am going to say on the issue, as you have not supported your issues strong enough, I don't think that any more correspondence or enlightening will do either of us any benefit.

Goodluck with the Mattel reproduction of Pinnocchio.
Well, I am a Mom whether you choose to believe that our not. You can break down my comment and that is fine. You can try to spin things anyway you want. For your information, the "Barbie" stuff came from parents of your old gym and anyone on here who knows you should know what it really means. Say it was for your niece, that is fine because I'm sure you wouldn't want people to think you would do something like that but by denying it, well, it just shows me that you know it's wrong. At the end of the day, I could care less about the "Barbie" stuff and I understand that this forum is a good way for coaches/parents to have productive conversations. But my intention was not to be negative, you've already done that by posting emails and making fun of buses and burgers. What I DO care about is how this can hurt the kids in these gyms. My child and the other children don't deserve this. That goes for any gym for that matter. You start coversations that always come back to a gym that you obviously don't like for whatever reason. I just think you should consider how you would feel if you were a parent and someone posted emails from your child's gym and bad mouthed a place that they love and people that they love. You have no problem expressing your thoughts about other people/places but for one parent to stick up for a gym, you jump all over them. If you stop and think about the kids for one second and how this could affect them, I would appreciate it. I'm not saying that you are a bad person because I obviously don't know you but I just wish people would be supportive of eachother. So, hate me for speaking out, that is fine but at the end of the day I just really want this all to end and for the focus to be on the kids and the sport.

Well, I am a Mom whether you choose to believe that our not. You can break down my comment and that is fine. You can try to spin things anyway you want. For your information, the "Barbie" stuff came from parents of your old gym and anyone on here who knows you should know what it really means. Say it was for your niece, that is fine because I'm sure you wouldn't want people to think you would do something like that but by denying it, well, it just shows me that you know it's wrong. At the end of the day, I could care less about the "Barbie" stuff and I understand that this forum is a good way for coaches/parents to have productive conversations. But my intention was not to be negative, you've already done that by posting emails and making fun of buses and burgers. What I DO care about is how this can hurt the kids in these gyms. My child and the other children don't deserve this. That goes for any gym for that matter. You start coversations that always come back to a gym that you obviously don't like for whatever reason. I just think you should consider how you would feel if you were a parent and someone posted emails from your child's gym and bad mouthed a place that they love and people that they love. You have no problem expressing your thoughts about other people/places but for one parent to stick up for a gym, you jump all over them. If you stop and think about the kids for one second and how this could affect them, I would appreciate it. I'm not saying that you are a bad person because I obviously don't know you but I just wish people would be supportive of eachother. So, hate me for speaking out, that is fine but at the end of the day I just really want this all to end and for the focus to be on the kids and the sport.
The very thing that you seem to have lost in all this is that the gym owners have brought this on the kids and themselves...they put that letter out there...they left phone messages about gym closings....blaming meanj for the lack of professionalism is really pointless....at the end of the day....it all lies at the feet of the business owner....IMO....they need to conduct their business with honor and if they are offended by what people think and say...they should get out....sticks and stones....yes?

What is Flatland BMX? I understand regular BMX'ing can occur in arena's or complexes with similar obstacles and facilities as a skate park would have? Is Flatland, just like long distance riding?

http://youtu.be/MSjppBHMM1c

Flatland used to be really big in the early '80s and 90's. Then the extreme games added it with freestyle BMX. Flatland is usually done in parking lots, tennis courts and in the skateparks/bike parks it can be done in the middle flat spots between ramps. Its really about balance and not touching down with your feet on the ground. What makes it cool is, I take the car out sometimes at night when its cooler, pop the trunk with cheer music playing and ride. All you need is a semi empty parking lot (food lion, walmart, ACME, etc..).

Great to see a NITRO parent on here, what are your thought on the topic of this thread? How do feel about restricting tumbling?
If a child isn't getting the skills needed for their level or to progress to the next level at their gym, that should be a red flag to the gym owner that they need to step it up. Parents pay a lot of money for cheer which includes tumbling and kids should be progressing. If they aren't progressing, the gym needs to look at themselves as to what they are doing wrong. Especially if those kids are taking advantage of extra tumbling etc. Also, as a parent, you should decide where you take your child and shouldn't have to sneek around. You are the parent and I would hope a parent wouldn't take their child to a place that wasn't safe or certified. Maybe the gyms do it for safety reasons, who knows, or maybe it's because they don't want to make themselves look bad because their kids are going other places for skills they should be getting at their own gym. We parents all know that kids progress in different ways but kids are sponges at the younger ages and they can be molded into amazing tumblers, bases, flyers and performers. Imagine how amazing the Senior level teams would be in another 10 years if you took the 6 year olds and built up their skills from that age on (some even start at 3 or 4).

Maybe we should start a new TV show: Cheaters-Cheer Gym. The cameras could follow around families who have to sneak around on their gym for tumbling. They can show how they have to make up stories about where they were, where that injury came from (ran into a table, right?) and hide receipts.

Maybe we should start a new TV show: Cheaters-Cheer Gym. The cameras could follow around families who have to sneak around on their gym for tumbling. They can show how they have to make up stories about where they were, where that injury came from (ran into a table, right?) and hide receipts.
bahahaha.....sadly...it happens...I am a hairstylist and have been one for....um...not saying...I am really old...anyhoo...my theory was always...there are NO pink slips to humans.....geeeez....everyone put on their big people pants and grow up....we are customers and should not sneak around.....ok.....calming down....backing away from computer....blessings everyone....:)

If a child isn't getting the skills needed for their level or to progress to the next level at their gym, that should be a red flag to the gym owner that they need to step it up. Parents pay a lot of money for cheer which includes tumbling and kids should be progressing. If they aren't progressing, the gym needs to look at themselves as to what they are doing wrong. Especially if those kids are taking advantage of extra tumbling etc. Also, as a parent, you should decide where you take your child and shouldn't have to sneek around. You are the parent and I would hope a parent wouldn't take their child to a place that wasn't safe or certified. Maybe the gyms do it for safety reasons, who knows, or maybe it's because they don't want to make themselves look bad because their kids are going other places for skills they should be getting at their own gym. We parents all know that kids progress in different ways but kids are sponges at the younger ages and they can be molded into amazing tumblers, bases, flyers and performers. Imagine how amazing the Senior level teams would be in another 10 years if you took the 6 year olds and built up their skills from that age on (some even start at 3 or 4).

That's proably the most ration thing you've said on this thread so far.. no disrepect. lol So, as a ECN parent, which means you have to agree to the contract.. what do you do if your child needs something else than your home gym can offer? What do you do? When my CP was there, we didn't sneak around, we told Glenn we were going to a tumbling coach for privates, we also wouldn't sign the contract. I think that kind of email is the reason people feel they have to sneak around. No open communication there.

Back