All-Star Right Hand Right Foot Left Hand Left Foot

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm right handed and tumble left.
I'm actually both handed (I can do everything with my left hand as well, but right is my stronger side, except for tumbling).

The majority of the kids on our junior and senior teams tumbles right. I always used to be the odd one who tumbles left (that's why I didn't tumble much - just looked off).
Funny enough though - the majority of our peewee-team tumbles left (and almost all of them are right handed). I have no idea where that comes from. We use the feet-together-push-forward-trick, too. And somehow the majority used their left foot.
I have not seen any difference in progression between right-foot and left-foot tumblers. The only difference is, that we have to teach the right-handed left-foot tumblers the one-handed cartwheel in a "false" way. Usually you would take your first arm (the left one for them) for your one-handed cartwheel, but the right handed ones somehow cannot learn it that way to save their lives, but have no difficulty learning it using their right arm (which would usually be "wrong").

As a coach I prefer having tumbling-groups be mirror-images or all go the same way. So I would put your cp either by herself, or with a right-tumbler to not make it look off. For bwo I wouldn't care, though, but not make her front row.

I'm a lefty who tumbles left, and can twist both ways. I find it easier to twist left (feels more natural) but i just crank it. When I twist right, I have to think about it, but I feel like I have more control...weird.

I am Right handed, tumble left. I have had discussions with many people that a right kart wheel is a left twist and visa versa (think first half) anyway, for cheerleading tumbling it doesn't necessarily matter, when your doing certain gymnastics skills it does, so I guess it all depends on what background your tumbling coach has. For sync as far as routine look, I don't think it matters. The reason I might sync a right and left person would be if they both travel, to avoid hitting others, other than that I don't think it matters at all.

just out of curiosity.. I coached gymnastics and never ran into this problem (though I guess I never coached Elite), what skills would you run into issues with the twisting direction?

just out of curiosity.. I coached gymnastics and never ran into this problem (though I guess I never coached Elite), what skills would you run into issues with the twisting direction?
Think Tsuk's, if you round off one direction and twist the other. Still able to work through it, twisting opposite directions often times can create new skills so I guess there are positives and negatives lol.

Think Tsuk's, if you round off one direction and twist the other. Still able to work through it, twisting opposite directions often times can create new skills so I guess there are positives and negatives lol.
oh yeah I could see that!

Right handed, tumble left, twist left. At first I was taught to twist right and it was sooo awkward for me I'd get half way and turn back around lol finally I was told to try left and I did a full the first time. If only I had been told that about 2 years earlier. -__-

I'm ambidextrous (I can do everything with both hands/ feet except odly for me I can only cut with my left hand?)
But after picking one way to tumble, I decided to roundoff left and spin right. I've been working on my full for a little over 2 years (so frustruating!!!!)... maybe I should try spinning the other way....

I'm right handed but I tumble left. I don't know why. I broke my right wrist pretty bad when I was 8 and it's really weak - it can't handle writing, even for short periods of time, and just collapses under me if I try running tumbling. I can only do standing if I take it slow. I think this might be why I can't tumble with my right. Plus it feels totally unnatural to even try!!

Right handed, technically ambidextrous when tumbling although I never got to twisting so I wouldn't know about that. I always felt more comfortable tumbling left though. Even now I'll cartwheel or round off either side..

Back