All-Star Ruby Slipper Full Up Grip

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Here is a video , its not great but you can see it a little
At 1:10 the two groups on the sides are doing it , they do it with 4 bases but its thr same thing (
iif this is the grip we are talking about)

At 1:10 the two groups on the sides are doing it , they do it with 4 bases but its thr same thing (

I believe the only difference I saw is that the backspot throws from under the front foot rather than ankle

So the main base spins the toe of the flyer's right foot, and the side base spins the heel, while the main and backspot twist and push the left foot up... I like this, I feel like this grip would make it way easier to hit an immediate stunt position.

Was this modeled after the double-up grip?

Spring has been teaching this grip for the last couple of years I believe. As a back, I've gone both under the front toe or on both ankles, depending on the group I'm with. We've found it much easier for teaching tops who aren't used to twisting up (i.e., level 6 people who didn't grow up through all-star cheer). With the bases always having contact, they don't have to let go of the feet like with other full up methods, giving groups more control on the stunt over all.

I have no idea how judges would score this method over the older ways.

Spring has been teaching this grip for the last couple of years I believe. As a back, I've gone both under the front toe or on both ankles, depending on the group I'm with. We've found it much easier for teaching tops who aren't used to twisting up (i.e., level 6 people who didn't grow up through all-star cheer). With the bases always having contact, they don't have to let go of the feet like with other full up methods, giving groups more control on the stunt over all.

I have no idea how judges would score this method over the older ways.
It should be scored equally because it's virtually the same skill

It's called the "Ruby Slipper" because it's a heels together load-in.
Spring Tumbling's (a company for camps and clinics internationally) Kenny Feely, who has spoken at several of the USASF Regional meetings has been teaching this method, with great successes. I will get a video this weekend at the USASF Regional Meeting in Costa Mesa, CA.

After seeing this video, I'm not convinced it would be seen as a full up. Yes technically the flyer makes a full rotation, but the look of a full up is lost. At least with cross feet, if done correctly, it looks like a full up. Maybe its because the execution in the video is so poor, that I'm not getting the full effect. I do like this grip though to start training for 1 and a half / double ups. As a full up though, I'm not convinced!

After seeing this video, I'm not convinced it would be seen as a full up. Yes technically the flyer makes a full rotation, but the look of a full up is lost. At least with cross feet, if done correctly, it looks like a full up. Maybe its because the execution in the video is so poor, that I'm not getting the full effect. I do like this grip though to start training for 1 and a half / double ups. As a full up though, I'm not convinced!
But judges don't care if the "look" is lost.... They care about the hip rotation of the flyer which is still a full turn. Until they change the way they judge rotation, it will count.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

It kills me that everyone is trying to find an "easy" way to full/double up instead of doing the original way (no bases move, flyers don't cross legs). I fell that people are putting more effort into coming up with an "easier" way than they would just practicing the old way. I'm al for making things easier with minor changes, but a full/double-up isn't supposed to be easy that's why they're level 4+ skills (to the top). Just my two cents; fell free to argue, ignore, like, or hate.

But judges don't care if the "look" is lost.... They care about the hip rotation of the flyer which is still a full turn. Until they change the way they judge rotation, it will count.
So if I put my flyer in a cupie and the entire group rotates around, did we just do a high to high full up? The hips of the flyer made a full turn? At some point its no longer a full up.

So the main base spins the toe of the flyer's right foot, and the side base spins the heel, while the main and backspot twist and push the left foot up... I like this, I feel like this grip would make it way easier to hit an immediate stunt position.

Was this modeled after the double-up grip?
Definitely easier to hit an immediate position. Theres is so much more stability with this method

It kills me that everyone is trying to find an "easy" way to full/double up instead of doing the original way (no bases move, flyers don't cross legs). I fell that people are putting more effort into coming up with an "easier" way than they would just practicing the old way. I'm al for making things easier with minor changes, but a full/double-up isn't supposed to be easy that's why they're level 4+ skills (to the top). Just my two cents; fell free to argue, ignore, like, or hate.

I think it's a great thing; this grip still takes practice to master, and if I were a coach I would rather teach my kids this than the original grip if it meant that I could reduce my athletes' risk of injury (because mastery would take fewer attempts; still many, but fewer).

Completely agree. Like the original full up grip isn't really difficult.

Yes the original full up grip requires more body control from the entire stunt group, but that's a necessary skill to master before moving on to more difficult stunts.

I LOVE this grip! It's the only way I can base full ups and for them to hit! We call them toe heel grips at my gym and we've been using them for 2 seasons now! It also makes it so the bases never lose contact with both feet while basing!

Back