OT show your bows :D

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
when you rrhinestone bows, do you use the mylar paper and iron on method or do you have one of those rhinestone tools like a hotfix?
Hot fix stones with a heat press. You can use an iron also, but pressing (heat & timing) can be tricky with the iron.

I was just wondering. If I start making bows would you buy it? (they will NOT cost more than 5 dollars and with free shipping since I am from Europe.) I am making bows for 2 years now and I promise they aren't bad and ugly.

Oh and I would sell them because I am brooke student and I love making bows. But I don't wear them so it's sad to see them just sit in my room on my desk.

If you have custom designs for rhinestones that you would like to do I can walk you through doing it yourself with hotfix stones and an Iron....this is for those who want to make a few of the same design, it will take time but the cost saving is great! let me know

I would love to learn your method or rhinestoning. I have been looking at you tube videos for ideas. I mostly am looking to make a pawprint on a bow, but would love to eventually be able to make some with my daughters name or graduation year. I am not a great artist so following some sort of template would be best for me.

I was just wondering. If I start making bows would you buy it? (they will NOT cost more than 5 dollars and with free shipping since I am from Europe.) I am making bows for 2 years now and I promise they aren't bad and ugly.

Oh and I would sell them because I am brooke student and I love making bows. But I don't wear them so it's sad to see them just sit in my room on my desk.

After texting another coach last night, I will explain why I will never buy bows from a random person instead of a big company again (this is NOT directed to you, but if you want to sell bows I think it's super important to read and decide if it's worth it). This is my advice for everyone considering selling bows!

Last year I purchased bows from a girl on here that had a cute little facebook page full of bows. I needed simple, plain practice bows, I just didn't want to make them myself because I don't have time. I paid her and it took forever to get them. They were practice bows, and they came over a month later than the practice clothes we ordered, and I ordered them in plenty of time to get them. At one point, I was told a cat peed on the box and ruined them so she had to remake them, which is why they were late. BUT, don't worry, because she would make keychain bows for all the kids to make up for them being late. I never saw those, surprise surprise.

This year I ordered competition bows at $20/each from someone on the boards that I knew made really nice bows. I paid for them, heard nothing, FINALLY got ahold of someone, and blah blah blah. More excuses, telling me they shipped when they hadn't. Competition bows = a four month ordeal. But, once again, don't worry! Because for my hassle, she would send free practice bows in our colors... Again, I've never seen a thing.

The other coach at a totally different gym just went through the same thing... Ordering and then the person coming back and saying "well it was hard to do the same design so many times." The bows are falling apart on her.

I get that people want to make bows, but I think a lot of people before you have ruined it for you. If you want to sell something, you need to make sure you are ready to sell and you need to make sure you have time to do it. Don't accept team orders if you don't want to make them a priority. If you want to sell a few here and there, I would try selling to other cheerleaders you know on your team or in your gym first. They'll take whatever you have on hand, and pay right there. Getting into shipping is a nightmare, and when selling bows is not your number one job, it's easy to let people slip through the cracks. But to those people who have already paid, it's really annoying and poor customer service.

End rant. Sorry, I had to bring it up. It's been boiling my blood for the past year now!

Thank you for this. But I won't make bows for teams. Making 30+ bows for teams is just to big responsibility for me. I am a student and I have to study a lot. Making bows is my hoby. That's why I just want to sell them. I don't want to make a lot of money out of it. It's just sad I make them and no one is wearing them. And my girls don't wear bows to practice so if I want to sell them I would sell it here.

Thank you for this. But I won't make bows for teams. Making 30+ bows for teams is just to big responsibility for me. I am a student and I have to study a lot. Making bows is my hoby. That's why I just want to sell them. I don't want to make a lot of money out of it. And my girls don't wear bows to practice so if I want to sell them I would sell it here.

And that's the difference and why you would do well... You can recognize you don't want to do team bows, where others will tell you they'll do anything for your $$$.

Put them on your facebook or make a page. I know most people want to see a bow in advance, and if they see something they love they have no hesitation buying it.

I am making them right now. And I pay 3 dollars for fabric so and I will sell a bow for 5 dollars. Because it takes time to make them. I will put pictures when I going to finish them :)
Thanks for these words. It nice to hear some advice

After texting another coach last night, I will explain why I will never buy bows from a random person instead of a big company again (this is NOT directed to you, but if you want to sell bows I think it's super important to read and decide if it's worth it). This is my advice for everyone considering selling bows!

Last year I purchased bows from a girl on here that had a cute little facebook page full of bows. I needed simple, plain practice bows, I just didn't want to make them myself because I don't have time. I paid her and it took forever to get them. They were practice bows, and they came over a month later than the practice clothes we ordered, and I ordered them in plenty of time to get them. At one point, I was told a cat peed on the box and ruined them so she had to remake them, which is why they were late. BUT, don't worry, because she would make keychain bows for all the kids to make up for them being late. I never saw those, surprise surprise.

This year I ordered competition bows at $20/each from someone on the boards that I knew made really nice bows. I paid for them, heard nothing, FINALLY got ahold of someone, and blah blah blah. More excuses, telling me they shipped when they hadn't. Competition bows = a four month ordeal. But, once again, don't worry! Because for my hassle, she would send free practice bows in our colors... Again, I've never seen a thing.

The other coach at a totally different gym just went through the same thing... Ordering and then the person coming back and saying "well it was hard to do the same design so many times." The bows are falling apart on her.

I get that people want to make bows, but I think a lot of people before you have ruined it for you. If you want to sell something, you need to make sure you are ready to sell and you need to make sure you have time to do it. Don't accept team orders if you don't want to make them a priority. If you want to sell a few here and there, I would try selling to other cheerleaders you know on your team or in your gym first. They'll take whatever you have on hand, and pay right there. Getting into shipping is a nightmare, and when selling bows is not your number one job, it's easy to let people slip through the cracks. But to those people who have already paid, it's really annoying and poor customer service.

End rant. Sorry, I had to bring it up. It's been boiling my blood for the past year now!
I hate stories like this, but you are absolutely right, it does happen more often than not and it does make it bad for people like me that have been doing it for years and is now starting to branch out. I thank goodness that I have a great base of supporters that are very happy and keep coming back. thankfully, I have never had an incident where I could not deliver, even with short notice. I just actually mailed out 30 bows to one of my repeat customers who I haven't heard from since the storm, but she needed her bows by this weekend and she just sent me an email on Saturday, October 27th, the day before the storm stating that she needs 30 bows by the 8th. She has not paid for them nor have I heard from her yet and I am assuming it is because of the storm, but she is a good customer so I do not have an issue with making sure she receive her bows on time and payment will follow.
With all that is going on here in NJ, I feel it is the least I can do.

I would love to learn your method or rhinestoning. I have been looking at you tube videos for ideas. I mostly am looking to make a pawprint on a bow, but would love to eventually be able to make some with my daughters name or graduation year. I am not a great artist so following some sort of template would be best for me.
the easiest way is to print out your design mirror image (backwards), if you can't do that, print it regular and trace the desing on the back of the page.
Items/tools needed: hotfix stones, tweezers and sticky tape (rhinestone transfer tape/paper)
place your design on a flat surface and place the sticky tape sticky side up over the design. do not have too much excess tape (not too much bigger than your desing). Use regular scotch tape to tape the sticky tape to the paper over your design.
Use your tweezers to place the rhinestones along the lines of your design sparkly side down (grey or green side up).
Once the design is completed, remove sticky tape from design paper and take a look to make sure everything is in place and your design is perfect.
Now you are ready to press. Have your iron on the highest setting with no steem.
Place your design on your material as desired, place papertowel on top and then iron. DO NOT MOVE THE IRON AROUND! Simply place it over the design and put as much pressure as you can for 30 seconds.
remove sticky tape; rhinestones should be stuck to your material.
Repeat the ironing process, do not forget your paper towel every time you press. Do this process at least two other times, one on the front, then turn your material with design over and do it on the back side.
this is how I started out. Now I have a rhinestone template maker and two heat presses. so the process is much easier and faster, but I got quite a bit done doing it this way and it worked fine.
Good Luck and please let me know how it works out.

970fgp.jpg

Just made some. What do you think? I'd sell these for 5$.
They are not finished yet ofcourse. I have to add ponytail holder and center wrap

the easiest way is to print out your design mirror image (backwards), if you can't do that, print it regular and trace the desing on the back of the page.
Items/tools needed: hotfix stones, tweezers and sticky tape (rhinestone transfer tape/paper)
place your design on a flat surface and place the sticky tape sticky side up over the design. do not have too much excess tape (not too much bigger than your desing). Use regular scotch tape to tape the sticky tape to the paper over your design.
Use your tweezers to place the rhinestones along the lines of your design sparkly side down (grey or green side up).
Once the design is completed, remove sticky tape from design paper and take a look to make sure everything is in place and your design is perfect.
Now you are ready to press. Have your iron on the highest setting with no steem.
Place your design on your material as desired, place papertowel on top and then iron. DO NOT MOVE THE IRON AROUND! Simply place it over the design and put as much pressure as you can for 30 seconds.
remove sticky tape; rhinestones should be stuck to your material.
Repeat the ironing process, do not forget your paper towel every time you press. Do this process at least two other times, one on the front, then turn your material with design over and do it on the back side.
this is how I started out. Now I have a rhinestone template maker and two heat presses. so the process is much easier and faster, but I got quite a bit done doing it this way and it worked fine.
Good Luck and please let me know how it works out.

Thank you so much. I would love to make some personal bow for my
CP. this really seems like it will work out.

That's a shame you have had such a bad time ordering bows from random people. As a person that makes bows because it's something I love to do, not because it is my full time job, I am very lucky to just have teams and individuals that reach out to me to make them bows. I am always honest with all my customers as to the time frame all my orders can be done by and don't think I've ever really had a complaint, which I guess I'm lucky for!!

A way for individuals to get their bows out there especially for individual orders is instagram!! Post pictures and people ask to buy them. I also have a facebook page with all my pictures of bows I've made to show to anyone interested in buying bows.

I'm a full-time pharmacist so bows are definitely a side job, but I know that and make sure my customers know that and it's never been an issue. I just make sure to keep them up to date on when they should be receiving their bows :)

Back