Sot Bullying

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

@sports_girl It's against Fierceboard policy to discuss a specific minor and in very poor taste on your part.
Wait after I think about it he (OP ) her father that started the thread discussed a specific minor . If you read the prior post I NEVER said it was ok to talk to or treat an athlete the way he described. What I questioned is why he waited so long ? Nothing more . Don't create drama that is not there

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Last edited:
Wait after I think about it he (OP ) her father that started the thread discussed a specific minor . If you read the prior post I NEVER said it was ok to talk to or treat an athlete the way he described. What I questioned is why he Waite so long ? Nothing more . Don't create drama thy is not there

does someone need a seat in the time out chair? :chillpill:

I found this article interesting. I think "psychological assault" will get more peoples attention and is a bit more descriptive than a blanket bullying statement.
The word ‘bullying’ should be replaced with ‘assault’ | Fox News

Based on what most people are calling bullying, I think this is brilliant. "Poor customer service at Best Buy" is not a crime, and to compare the two, I feel, is rather insensitive to those that have truly been bullied. To me, the thread title is not a "slam" or "review" that can be taken lightly. A better comparison, to me, is accusing a person of rape, and later on saying, well not really, but sort of kind of, maybe it was, never mind. I think people would take bullying more seriously if it were called assault, because based on what people are calling it in this thread, being bullied isn't necessarily crime worthy and it certainly should be.

Based on what most people are calling bullying, I think this is brilliant. "Poor customer service at Best Buy" is not a crime, and to compare the two, I feel, is rather insensitive to those that have truly been bullied. To me, the thread title is not a "slam" or "review" that can be taken lightly. A better comparison, to me, is accusing a person of rape, and later on saying, well not really, but sort of kind of, maybe it was, never mind. I think people would take bullying more seriously if it were called assault, because based on what people are calling it in this thread, being bullied isn't necessarily crime worthy and it certainly should be.

For the record I wasn't really comparing the 2 actual acts. I was responding to the idea of saying that sot isn't responsible for the coach's behavior, no matter what that behavior is. And yes, as a business I think you are equally responsible for hiring someone who is rude as for hiring someone conducting illegal activities. If it happens at your business, it's your issue.

I was comparing the idea of a business hiring someone. (And I was responding to the poster saying "this hasn't been our experience" as if that meant no one should claim any other experience)

I didn't address the issue of whether or not this was bullying because I don't know. I was only addressing one person, one post. It's all perspective - someone who's been raped may be just as offended by you comparing rape and bullying, as you were by me "comparing" bad customer service and bullying.

For the record I wasn't really comparing the 2 actual acts. I was responding to the idea of saying that sot isn't responsible for the coach's behavior, no matter what that behavior is. And yes, as a business I think you are equally responsible for hiring someone who is rude as for hiring someone conducting illegal activities. If it happens at your business, it's your issue.

I was comparing the idea of a business hiring someone. (And I was responding to the poster saying "this hasn't been our experience" as if that meant no one should claim any other experience)

I didn't address the issue of whether or not this was bullying because I don't know. I was only addressing one person, one post. It's all perspective - someone who's been raped may be just as offended by you comparing rape and bullying, as you were by me "comparing" bad customer service and bullying.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood your comment. My point is rape is a crime, stealing is a crime, bullying in 49 states is a crime. Again, I don't think the OP meant to accuse SOT of committing a crime, but they did. I'm not a lawyer, I don't know a soul at SOT, but I will say this, it is one thing to say you had a bad experience with a person or business, that would be a review. It is an entirely different thing to say a business or person committed a crime as the thread title implies, that is slander. We may have freedom of speech, but you can be held accountable for what you say if it isn't true. In respect to the OP and SOT, I just wish the thread title could be changed, I think it is bad for both of them. And in honor of the new emoji I just saw..... :deathdrop:, I'm dead.

Last edited:
Has anyone been following the whole Miami Dolphins incident involving Richie Incognito and Jonathan Martin? I am fascinated by this "bullying" between grown men/professional athletes, not to mention what the coaches knew about the whole thing.
There seems to be tons of support for the "bully" as opposed to the "victim".

I see the NFL story more as hazing since the entire group of rookies were asked to do asinine stuff. Hazing is still wrong (and illegal), but at least that's a group being attacked not an individual. Makes it hard to tell my kids it gets better when you grow up if some idiots never grow up and act like this as an adult.

I see the NFL story more as hazing since the entire group of rookies were asked to do asinine stuff. Hazing is still wrong (and illegal), but at least that's a group being attacked not an individual. Makes it hard to tell my kids it gets better when you grow up if some idiots never grow up and act like this as an adult.

I don't think we are talking about the same incident, unless I've missed some new developments in the story over the past hour or so.
This is the one I'm referring to:
Timeline of Dolphins' alleged bullying saga between Richie Incognito and Jonathan Martin

I don't think we are talking about the same incident, unless I've missed some new developments in the story over the past hour or so.
This is the one I'm referring to:
Timeline of Dolphins' alleged bullying saga between Richie Incognito and Jonathan Martin
I think it's the same story, just different topics (if that makes sense?). Same players, but this article claims the younger, rookie players pay for trips and meals for the veterans. I guess one player just chose to take it a step further with Martin. I still think it stinks. We're adults people.

Sources: Miami Dolphins rookies pushed to pay up - Miami Dolphins - MiamiHerald.com

I think it's the same story, just different topics (if that makes sense?). Same players, but this article claims the younger, rookie players pay for trips and meals for the veterans. I guess one player just chose to take it a step further with Martin. I still think it stinks. We're adults people.

Sources: Miami Dolphins rookies pushed to pay up - Miami Dolphins - MiamiHerald.com

Thanks for that link. I think now that they're looking more closely at this all sorts of things are going to surface throughout the NFL. I cannot wrap my brain around the fact that these are grown men being paid well to play a sport as a job who are doing this. Not that I ever thought non-cp was destined for a career in football, but between all this $hit and a new report on concussions coming out practically every other day, I think his career in youth league football may soon be coming to an end.

Watch the Sports commentators talk about the Miami Dolphins. Notice a commonality? All of them refer to it as 'hazing', they all admit they had participated, and they all admit 'it's just part of the life.' They seem more upset that it went that far vs the fact that it happened in the first place. They seem more perturbed that it's news they have to cover.

YET: Hazing is explicitly banned by the NFL rules. It's an abuser-apologist's dream. Are we surprised? How many of these 'star' 'pro' athletes have been shuffled along a system that rewards them for their athleticism as opposed to their intellectual and ethical capabilities. And then we're shocked and appalled when they turn out not so nice. How is this not shocking?

They need to call it work place harrassment! Grown men at work!

I shudder at the thought that what allegedly happened to the OP's child is being called bullying. We are starting to use the word "bully" as loosely as we use the word "love".

I have coached for many many years around many different coaches with many different styles of coaching. Some I found to be very harsh, some too soft, but never would I call it bullying. I find it impossible to coach 100% positive 100% of the time. I absolutely love kids and I love my job as a coach, but there have been many times I've had to be hard on a kid. Some kids are sensitive and take everything you say very personally. That does not make it bullying. I do believe as a coach you have to figure out what "style" of coaching works for each individual athlete. Some work harder when you call them out and make them accountable in front of their teammates, some you have to be more gentle with your approach. But again, we need to be very careful when using the word bullying. -- JMO

My educated guess is that this coach may have crossed the line that day by "laughing" while speaking to the athlete, but I bet there were many other days, other practices that he also praised her or gave her words of encouragement. A bully doesn't encourage or praise EVER. Their sole intentions are to continually berate and degrade the person to the point of losing all self-esteem. Are we saying that is what happened here?
I absolutely LOVE this. So much truth in all that you've said. Everyone here has given wonderful advice.
Not everyone needs to agree with your situation - you can either keep an open mind or you can just keep putting everyone who is not in 100% agreement with you on blast. There is "good" coaching and "bad" coaching in EVERY sport, just as there are good teachers and bad teachers, good bosses and bad bosses. You can choose to put up with it or you can choose to move on. By moving on you are making YOUR statement that it is not acceptable to you, but just because it is not acceptable to you does not mean that everyone else in the gym has the same opinion and the gym should be shut down or forced to change - we are all different and that is what makes the world go round. Keep in mind that "good" and "bad" can be very subjective. Funny thing - some of my favorite teachers were the ones most people hated, and my CP's favorite coach was one that many of her teammates would consider their worst coach. As @Mclovin said, there are many different styles of coaching, and some kids adapt better to one style than another. The gym you are at clearly is not for your CP at this time, but that doesn't mean it isn't for everyone else that chooses to stay there.
I can relate to the highlighted part SO much, because that's how it is with me in most instances.

Back