High School State Competition Changes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

curious - have the athletes on the team done all stars?
@quitthedrama There are some all star athletes yes. However, there are also kids that have not done all stars. CP broke her ankle at the first comp last year. Her fill in was a kid that had NEVER cheered before. They made it to states. And now the chance at a state title will be taken away from my kid (and many others)that sat out injured last year because some schools don't want to put anything into their programs. Sucks. Our high school was not always competitive. Parents petitioned the administrators and AD to hire a qualified coach. They listened and they have come a loooong way in just a few years. They have had all star athletes on the team for years and weren't successful. Our new coach made all the difference in the world...not special tumbling classes! The kids and their coach work their asses off...there is no goofing around. She has super high expectations from them and that's why they are successful. No fancy tumbling classes, no tumbling or practices at an all star gym...just good old fashion focus and hard work.

Last edited:
In Iowa for teams that really aren't that great or have much experience we have the time out division. It's a minute long cheer competition where you can use signs/poms etc, and only do stunt that are allowed on a basketball floor since it's supposed to be a "time out" type of routine. Which is nice because we have TONS of small schools that aren't really capable of competing in the cheer/dance or stunt group division so this helps them have a division to enter. That's terrible they are wanting to take the top teams out, very unfair.

In Iowa for teams that really aren't that great or have much experience we have the time out division. It's a minute long cheer competition where you can use signs/poms etc, and only do stunt that are allowed on a basketball floor since it's supposed to be a "time out" type of routine. Which is nice because we have TONS of small schools that aren't really capable of competing in the cheer/dance or stunt group division so this helps them have a division to enter. That's terrible they are wanting to take the top teams out, very unfair.

The kicker in all of this is that they implemented a similar division in Massachusetts this year!!! It's called the Game Day Division. I guess that's not enough we need to make it easy for teams to win a state title. It's a bunch of bs. My daughter's team is not good because they have a few all star cheerleaders...they are good because they work their asses off and have a great coach!

Both. We can have cheer shows but they won't allow any ranking. It's so ridiculous.

Are you in Kansas? That's how it is here. I'm from Missouri so when I moved here for college it really shocked me, and bummed me out because the teams have a lot of talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you in Kansas? That's how it is here. I'm from Missouri so when I moved here for college it really shocked me, and bummed me out because the teams have a lot of talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep! They did approve NCA nationals though last year so we can get ranked there but not in state. It's all so odd.

@quitthedrama There are some all star athletes yes. However, there are also kids that have not done all stars. CP broke her ankle at the first comp last year. Her fill in was a kid that had NEVER cheered before. They made it to states. And now the chance at a state title will be taken away from my kid (and many others)that sat out injured last year because some schools don't want to put anything into their programs. Sucks. Our high school was not always competitive. Parents petitioned the administrators and AD to hire a qualified coach. They listened and they have come a loooong way in just a few years. They have had all star athletes on the team for years and weren't successful. Our new coach made all the difference in the world...not special tumbling classes! The kids and their coach work their asses off...there is no goofing around. She has super high expectations from them and that's why they are successful. No fancy tumbling classes, no tumbling or practices at an all star gym...just good old fashion focus and hard work.
Does your CP by any chance cheer at BRHS? They've come so far in such a short time with a new coach in the past few years! It's been very impressive !

I was also wondering with this change next year; is coed going to be involved too? Or just all girl? So many kinks to still work out!

They should do it like NCA high school nationals where they have novice, intermediate, and advanced, better yet a nontumbling division
This really makes the most sense and something I have been wishing would happen for years. It would allow the best teams in each population division (the way our state is currently set up) to compete against each other while allowing teams with lesser skills who work just as hard to be in a division that fits their skill level!

This really makes the most sense and something I have been wishing would happen for years. It would allow the best teams in each population division (the way our state is currently set up) to compete against each other while allowing teams with lesser skills who work just as hard to be in a division that fits their skill level!

The Game Day Division fits the lower skill levels no?

The Game Day Division fits the lower skill levels no?
not really. The routine set up is completely different and is judged on different criteria. There is nothing to say a team with level 5 skills can't compete in game day.

So I've gotten wind that "The Powers That Be" in Massachusetts are trying to eliminate the best teams in the state from the state competition in order to give "other teams a chance". WAIT WHAT???? Yes, you heard me right. From what I have heard, the plan is to try and implement a new rule that would take the top 8 teams (regardless of division) from Regionals and put them in a separate category to compete at a separate event. Those 8 teams would NOT be eligible to compete for the state title in their division. I'm sorry but this is absolutely ludicrous. These coaches want to be able to compete for a "state" title AFTER removing the best teams in the state. It sounds like some sort of sick joke but it is really being discussed!!! Thoughts?? My thought is NOT EVERYONE NEEDS A TROPHY!!!! If you can't win a state title in your division because teams are better than you UP YOUR GAME!!!
How reliable is your source for this info?

MASSA may have issues but eliminating competition from a competition makes no sense.

**But I saw it on the Internet, it must be true**

How reliable is your source for this info?

MASSA may have issues but eliminating competition from a competition makes no sense.

Very reliable...they are eliminating competition from divisions by removing the top teams from their divisions and placing them in a new division.

Very reliable...they are eliminating competition from divisions by removing the top teams from their divisions and placing them in a new division.
What sense does it make to create a new division but not allow them to compete for the state title? That is more equal to telling the top programs to just disband.

It was my understanding that the new division would compete at a separate event. That may or may not be true. Like I said the info is coming out in bits and pieces. The main issue I see is taking the best teams out of the current divisions so that other teams "can have a chance".

Back