High School State Competition Changes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

They apparently know something the rest of us don't. Which I'm not surprised about. LICA (Long Island Cheerleading Association) was always like a gang of mean girls with their favorite schools and then the rest of us. The same group now has, from what I'm hearing, positioned itself to have major involvement in creation of the rules for cheer as a sport in NYS.
Ugh.

My team is in Westchester and we had a meeting last year discussing all this. My coach said first that nobody is getting barred from nationals so everyone will still be able to go and what not. The only weird thing is that our season would usually now end at nationals but now we're going to be going to states if we make it.

My team is in Westchester and we had a meeting last year discussing all this. My coach said first that nobody is getting barred from nationals so everyone will still be able to go and what not. The only weird thing is that our season would usually now end at nationals but now we're going to be going to states if we make it.
Yes, this whole thing has extended the HS cheer season by a good few weeks.

Yes, this whole thing has extended the HS cheer season by a good few weeks.
Wonderful!

Thank goodness.

So I guess confirmed that everyone still gets to compete for a state title but now teams that may have been guaranteed a title because of their division may have to work for it

May the odds be forever in their favor.

**I see what you did there**

Gonna bump this since NY is having t's first real states in a few weeks.
In each section you have to win your division in order to move to states. Which is basically division 1/2 in small varsity,large varsity and mixed (which is coed). Can't wait to see how this plays out.

So I've gotten wind that "The Powers That Be" in Massachusetts are trying to eliminate the best teams in the state from the state competition in order to give "other teams a chance". WAIT WHAT???? Yes, you heard me right. From what I have heard, the plan is to try and implement a new rule that would take the top 8 teams (regardless of division) from Regionals and put them in a separate category to compete at a separate event. Those 8 teams would NOT be eligible to compete for the state title in their division. I'm sorry but this is absolutely ludicrous. These coaches want to be able to compete for a "state" title AFTER removing the best teams in the state. It sounds like some sort of sick joke but it is really being discussed!!! Thoughts?? My thought is NOT EVERYONE NEEDS A TROPHY!!!! If you can't win a state title in your division because teams are better than you UP YOUR GAME!!!

Good God, Massachusetts must be a Bernie Sanders state.

I'm not a fan of the KHSAA cheer division, but we at least have 80% of it right...

This really makes the most sense and something I have been wishing would happen for years. It would allow the best teams in each population division (the way our state is currently set up) to compete against each other while allowing teams with lesser skills who work just as hard to be in a division that fits their skill level!

People would still sand bag

Gonna bump this since NY is having t's first real states in a few weeks.
In each section you have to win your division in order to move to states. Which is basically division 1/2 in small varsity,large varsity and mixed (which is coed). Can't wait to see how this plays out.
Cp has a lot of friends on teams going to counties. The extension of the HS season is really wreaking havoc on the all-star season though. :(

Cp has a lot of friends on teams going to counties. The extension of the HS season is really wreaking havoc on the all-star season though. :(
Lol I wish we weren't going up either but we won our division in the fall. But on the other hand I really want to see what teams from upstate are like since I only see the teams from my county and from LI since most of us go to the same UCA competitions.

By hurting NCA preparation, I assume? Must be stressful.
We don't go to NCA. Too many crossovers :(.
Our gym more than others seems to base its schedule around the HS comp schedule. Which works out great if your cp is on a HS team that goes to UCA. Cp's doesn't, and only 4 girls from her team were around last Thursday through Monday. It's very frustrating.

We don't go to NCA. Too many crossovers :(.
Our gym more than others seems to base its schedule around the HS comp schedule. Which works out great if your cp is on a HS team that goes to UCA. Cp's doesn't, and only 4 girls from her team were around last Thursday through Monday. It's very frustrating.
I think it's great people have the opportunity to do both!!

I think it's great people have the opportunity to do both!!
During the Fall season, yes. It's great to be able to experience all star and high school cheer, but for me it is an absolute no during the all star competition season. There is too much conflict, too much risk of injury, etc. It's not fair to either team.

Back