All-Star Taking Cps Out Of School Early For Comps

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I schedule an appt in the morning so that it's an excused absent. We don't have any extended absents this year so we don't need to be upfront about it but CP's teacher knows she cheers and knows comp season is about to start for us.
But then she misses a full day rather than just the end of the day. It might not matter now but it certainly does once they get to the middle and high school level and change classes.

I kid you not when I tell you that the first thing I do when we get the comp schedule is to pull out a school calendar to see if any comps fall over long weekends or breaks and am happy when they do especially for travel days.

But then she misses a full day rather than just the end of the day. It might not matter now but it certainly does once they get to the middle and high school level and change classes.

I kid you not when I tell you that the first thing I do when we get the comp schedule is to pull out a school calendar to see if any comps fall over long weekends or breaks and am happy when they do especially for travel days.

My kids do tend to miss a full day when they miss and you're right, for now it's not a big deal but we will likely evaluate when they get to MS and HS. This year, the only day they have to miss is actually because of dancer child's schedule and not cheer child. Because dancer child is SN; I can't risk over-stimulation so they'll miss the entire day or we'd pull them half way through.

School employee here (high school setting.)

I get it, it's sometimes unavoidable to miss 1-2 days during a cheer comp weekend.

I do.

However, you need to be smart about it.

Example: If you are going to a big weekend comp, that is legitimately a miss. Maybe throw in an extra day for weather issues if you miss your flight. Ok.

However, you can't miss two for NCA, two for Cheersport, two for UCA weekend, then (for example) -

*Decide to stay at Disney for Worlds an extra week for vacation.
*Decide to take a "shopping trip" for two days after Champs League.
*Give her two days off after you get back from NCA because "she's tired."
*Take her out two days early for a pageant two weeks after you get back from Majors weekend.
*Have her miss a day before Homecoming for hair and make up.

...Then complain about your kid being over your district's absence limit.

I lookat the schedule and wrote up a letter for her to take to her teachers explaining the various things she learns from cheer at that life experience is sometimes just as important. We always try to see something educational when we're gone and she does homework while we're gone. Now that she's in high school we will be taking an extra couple of days for dallas, summit, atlanta, etc... so that we can tour the colleges while we're out there. For admin this usually makes them happy but if not I just say she's sick.

Double posting, but another point:

If you have a high school kid, make sure you know whether your kid has a MAJOR exam or project due when they will be gone and what their responsibilities are in terms of:

*making up tests.
*turning in whatever project.

This is not even part of my wheelhouse at school, but I often field some calls as a counselor from parents who have concerns about a kid's grade.

Upon further review, we find out that the student MISSED an end-of-quarter exam worth 150 points in Honors Chem because they were at a dance competition and the child never met with the teacher to make arrangements to turn it in or make it up.

Last edited:
We are in the middle of senior year, but I will say that my CP is always "sick". Our school doesn't excuse anything like a "sporting competition". As long as it is less than 3 days, no doctor's note needed. I used to feel bad about the deceit, but with the school's position and no tolerance, no more. My CP has great grades and knows what she can/can't miss. We have never had to miss more than 3 days over the years. One thing I will not miss when she graduates. ;)

My CP has great grades and knows what she can/can't miss.

That's another important aspect as well.

You have to know your kid and use your best parental judgement sometimes as to whether they can miss.

Your kid has straight A's? Honestly, a random half day on a Friday here or there on which you know there isn't a quiz/test/paper due is not a big deal.

However, I am FLOORED at times at how often some people will let their kids miss knowing that they have a C/D/F in multiple classes.

Example: My son is on a soccer team with a kid whose older sister dances. She's 10. I chatted up the mom because she works in my district. She admitted to me once that "Becky leaves school at 1:30 three days a week for ballet." (She is in 5th grade so 1:30 is not the end of the day. Our elementary school doesnt dismiss until 3:15)

Then in the next breath told me she was concerned about her Fs in Reading and Science. What.

This is particularly true for high school kids.

Yes, I get that you love cheer. However, there is no spot on your application to Northwestern to explain that you have a D in Bio due to missed school for cheer but can throw a mean kick double basket.

Last edited:
I lookat the schedule and wrote up a letter for her to take to her teachers explaining the various things she learns from cheer at that life experience is sometimes just as important. We always try to see something educational when we're gone and she does homework while we're gone. Now that she's in high school we will be taking an extra couple of days for dallas, summit, atlanta, etc... so that we can tour the colleges while we're out there. For admin this usually makes them happy but if not I just say she's sick.
College visits you can get away with. Those are excused absences in our district.

That's another important aspect as well.

You have to know your kid and use your best parental judgement sometimes as to whether they can miss.

Your kid has straight A's? Honestly, a random half day on a Friday here or there on which you know there isn't a quiz/test/paper due is not a big deal.

However, I am FLOORED at times at how often some people will let their kids miss knowing that they have a C/D/F in multiple classes.

Example: My son is on a soccer team with a kid whose older sister dances. She's 10. I chatted up the mom because she works in my district. She admitted to me once that "Becky leaves school at 1:30 three days a week for ballet." (She is in 5th grade so 1:30 is not the end of the day. Our elementary school doesnt dismiss until 3:15)

Then in the next breath told me she was concerned about her Fs in Reading and Science. What.

This is particularly true for high school kids.

Yes, I get that you love cheer. However, there is no spot on your application to Northwestern to explain that you have a D in Bio due to missed school for cheer but can throw a mean kick double basket.
Her grades were the reason that we have allowed her to cheer at this level/commitment. I know LOTS of these parents that allow their kids to have VERY mediocre grades and think nothing of it. My CP understands that I would have had NO PROBLEMS pulling her from cheer if necessary. I want to scream to some of these parents
" THERE IS A LIFE AFTER CHEER AND YOUR CHILD WILL NEED TO DO SOMETHING TO SUPPORT THEMSELVES", but so far I have controlled myself....hoping I can make it the rest of the season LOL.

Her grades were the reason that we have allowed her to cheer at this level/commitment. I know LOTS of these parents that allow their kids to have VERY mediocre grades and think nothing of it. My CP understands that I would have had NO PROBLEMS pulling her from cheer if necessary. I want to scream to some of these parents
" THERE IS A LIFE AFTER CHEER AND YOUR CHILD WILL NEED TO DO SOMETHING TO SUPPORT THEMSELVES", but so far I have controlled myself....hoping I can make it the rest of the season LOL.
IDK how parents can be okay with their kid having a crappy GPA due to absences. Never me (or my hypothetical child).

We are in the middle of senior year, but I will say that my CP is always "sick". Our school doesn't excuse anything like a "sporting competition". As long as it is less than 3 days, no doctor's note needed. I used to feel bad about the deceit, but with the school's position and no tolerance, no more. My CP has great grades and knows what she can/can't miss. We have never had to miss more than 3 days over the years. One thing I will not miss when she graduates. ;)

I hate lying (especially to the teachers who probably appreciate the heads up.) I just learned that I need to lie from now on.

My district in Australia isn't too strict, we just need to have a note or a phone call from a parent. If you miss for any reason, it's your responsibility to catch up on any missed work, and if you fail something for not catching up, then it is your fault.

Most of the comps are in holidays though, we have 1 this year that isn't. You can go up Friday after school at 3.30, and come home Sunday night. I will be leaving at about 9, but I will be home by 1am. Even if you left when the comp was over, you would still be home by 2am. That gives you plenty of time to sleep and be ready for school the next day, you can survive one day with only 5 or 6 hours of sleep. I hate how some parents give their children days off for no reason, when others are working hard.

Back