All-Star The Future Of All-star Cheerleading?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

i feel like in 10 years, there aren't even going to be any teams below level 4 or 5 lol...cheerleading is getting SO serious and so popular, it's almost like nothing is as big of a deal anymore as much as moving up a level in cheerleading...haha.

but hey, i'm not saying that's a bad thing! :)

obviously uniforms are going to be insanely different considering how fast the evolve now

Well considering they keep getting smaller and smaller, lets hope they are still wearing them!!
wink.png

Since Cheerleading is not a sport with universal rules USASF does not hold the rights to "Worlds". If I wanted to hold Cheerleading Worlds in my backyard I could. I wish they called Worlds something else like I don't know . . . Nationals. Every other sport to compete at Worlds you must first qualify at your nationals and be named to the national team. Any other sport you know that holds their Worlds at the same location and venue year after year. Any? Nope.

If this performance sport wants to be recognized as an athletic sport and one day possible be in the Olympic, cheerleading is going to have to follow the same protocol as other sports.

JMO

I never said USASF holds the rights to Worlds... I said if another company tried to host their own "Worlds" it wouldn't be as big. Also, Worlds is called Worlds because it's every team from the WORLD. The reason it's not called "Nationals" is because it's a step up from that. You must first compete at a Nationals, and place high enough to get a Big (basically an invitation) to go to Worlds. So you're wrong about how Worlds doesn't require you to qualify at a Nationals to go to Worlds... it's the same here buddy. And why would you suggest it be called a Nationals instead of a worlds....and then say you have to qualify at a nationals to make it to what?....another nationals. No. Worlds is Worlds because it's the top event, the super bowl, world cup, wimbeldon, tour de france of cheerleading.

So tell me... What "protocol" does the USASF Worlds not follow that's the "normal" for these "sports" you're talking about? Oh changing venues every year? Honestly, WHO CARES if it's at the same venue every year? Ask anyone who's gone and anyone who's gone multiple times. I'm sure 95% of those people would say they loved it being at the ESPN WWOSC and the same 95% would say they didn't care about it being there year after year.

P.S. "and one day possible be in the Olympic" should be "and one day possibly be in the Olympics"

I hope that cheerleading continues to develop in countries other than the US, so that there would be more and more international competition.
I also hope that we do get better facilities over here in Germany / Europe. Like, for most teams over here training on thin foam mats is already a great thing as opposed to doing everything on hard floor.

Struck a nerve did we and apparently took it as a personal attack (which it wasn't) instead of an opinion on the sport (which it was) . . . but once again . . Can't be a sport without universal scoresheets, rules, regulation, and universally recognized government body. Not quite there yet but heading in the right direction.
biggrin.png

But as you said everyone qualifies at a National . . . but isn't the point of having a Nationals is that there is only one Nationals that qualifies you to go to Worlds. Any other sport have multiple national championship to qualify you to represent the nation at the World Championship? How many teams represent the US in soccer? Ice Skating? Gymnastics? Swimming? One or two in each. How many bids to Worlds were given to teams to represent the US? Hmmm . . . thoughts to ponder.

I am sure those of us that have to pay to travel across the country every year care about the added expense. Don't you think those of us on the west coast or in New England would love to have the option of driving there once every third year instead of buy across country flights for the whole family? Think that the European or New Zealand teams would love a chance to host in their home country? Or to see something of the US besides WDW? How about NYC or LA? I have been several times, exciting at first to be at WDW but at this point I would love to spend my money on going some place new. Many families do turn it into a mini-vacation because they are spending so much money to go.

SO on the topic of the thread I think that we will have a universal scoresheets (f.y.i. USASF does not have this), rules, regulation, and government body. USASF governs the US not the entire world of cheerleading. Never have I seen a World Championship that is sponored by the hosting nations government sport body. The nation, yes, the national federation of whatever sport, no.

We will eventually have one true Nationals and choose one or two teams from each division to represent the US at a World Championship held in Asia or South America or where ever. I am just waiting for teams out of the US to catch up; these international teams will be able to compete against the US instead of just showing up for the show. This is when it will be a sport recognized by all and it will be truly exciting.

JMO and not a personal attack.
smile.png

Struck a nerve did we and apparently took it as a personal attack (which it wasn't) instead of an opinion on the sport (which it was) . . . but once again . . Can't be a sport without universal scoresheets, rules, regulation, and universally recognized government body. Not quite there yet but heading in the right direction. :D

But as you said everyone qualifies at a National . . . but isn't the point of having a Nationals is that there is only one Nationals that qualifies you to go to Worlds. Any other sport have multiple national championship to qualify you to represent the nation at the World Championship? How many teams represent the US in soccer? Ice Skating? Gymnastics? Swimming? One or two in each. How many bids to Worlds were given to teams to represent the US? Hmmm . . . thoughts to ponder.

Yes there are A LOT of bids that are given out to U.S. teams to go to Worlds, and most of Worlds itself is U.S. teams competing. But in the international division it doesn't matter how many bids are given out. If competitive cheerleading was as big in other countries as it is here in the U.S. then more bids would be given out to international teams. As I'm guessing you don't know, teams in the international division, the true International World Competition part of the event, teams must compete twice day one, and only 3 teams from each country will advance to the finals. So it doesn't really matter if the U.S. gets 100 bids for the international division and other countries only get 5. So when it all comes down to it, each country only gets 3 teams to represent themselves.

Get educated before trying to make a point.

I hope that in the near future that internatoinally cheer can grow and follow the guidelines that we do here in the U.S. so that more teams can field age and level appropriate teams to enter the senior club divisions so that worlds has more of a worlds feel and the best U.S. senior teams get to compete against the best international senior age teams.

Yes there are A LOT of bids that are given out to U.S. teams to go to Worlds, and most of Worlds itself is U.S. teams competing. But in the international division it doesn't matter how many bids are given out. If competitive cheerleading was as big in other countries as it is here in the U.S. then more bids would be given out to international teams. As I'm guessing you don't know, teams in the international division, the true International World Competition part of the event, teams must compete twice day one, and only 3 teams from each country will advance to the finals. So it doesn't really matter if the U.S. gets 100 bids for the international division and other countries only get 5. So when it all comes down to it, each country only gets 3 teams to represent themselves.

Only the U.S. teams compete twice the first day the other countries just compete in prelims. They narrow it down to 5 U.S. teams after the trials and then 3 teams from each country after prelims.

Can't be a sport without universal scoresheets, rules, regulation, and government body. Not quite there yet but heading in the right direction.
here is what i got from different dictionaries for the term "sport"
-an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individualor team competes against another or others for entertainment
-an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess andoften of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis,golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
-A sport is an organized, competitive, entertaining, and skillful activity requiring commitment, strategy, andfair play, in which a winner can be defined by objective means.

So by 3/3 of the definitions I found, I would consider cheerleading a sport. No where in the definition of sports I found anything about a universal scoresheet or rules.

So if the is the TRUE IWC part of the event what is the rest of the event?

As us uneducated trying to make a point, it is only the US that narrows down the field on day one. Compare this the other recognized sports what sport qualifies their teams to compete at Worlds at Worlds? But as you yourself said it would be poor business for USASF to do it otherwise.

Everyone keeps saying: "other sports do this and other sports do that blah blah blah"
but isnt it the uniforms and the gyms and the competitions that truly make this sport what it is? what makes it different than other sports? we shouldnt have to change it so much that we are "like other sports"

i feel like in 10 years, there aren't even going to be any teams below level 4 or 5 lol...cheerleading is getting SO serious and so popular, it's almost like nothing is as big of a deal anymore as much as moving up a level in cheerleading...haha.

but hey, i'm not saying that's a bad thing! :)
I kind of agree but at that point I feel like they will have to make more divisions. If most senior and even junior teams are in levels 4 and 5 there will be hundreds of teams in each division so they will have to spread it out.

I'd also love to see individuals come back. I understand people still do them, but I'd love to see them be at all the major comps and maybe even at worlds. It would really recognize those outstanding athletes, maybe even ones that come from less-good gyms but are still amazing cheerleaders.

here is what i got from different dictionaries for the term "sport"
-an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individualor team competes against another or others for entertainment
-an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess andoften of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis,golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
-A sport is an organized, competitive, entertaining, and skillful activity requiring commitment, strategy, andfair play, in which a winner can be defined by objective means.

So by 3/3 of the definitions I found, I would consider cheerleading a sport. No where in the definition of sports I found anything about a universal scoresheet or rules.

To those involved sure it is considered a sport, but to get it recognized by the outsiders and get the support everyone is looking for there needs to be universal rules and scoresheets. Look at the recent court case involving cheer, they hit the nail on the head about what it takes to become a recognized sport. Sure they were talking about college cheer and the NCAA, but the same can be said for allstar. Look at basketball, a recognized sport, they have the NBA, NCAA, and High School basketball where a basket is worth 2 points or 3 points depending on where they are on the court. Things are spelled out exactly and are the same across the board. In cheer different competitions give different points for things. You can say the same with football, baseball, and mostly all the others sports recognized by outsiders.

There is some organization in cheer but it is not organized enough to be considered a sport by outsiders and it never will be until things are worked on from within.

Back