All-Star The Golden Oldies... The Old Cheer Trends.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I just started cheer this past year for my HS, but my coach is in love with the older trends. We have the 16 pleat skirts, spankies with a little design on the butt (Panther paw), and Varsity letter cardigans.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Honey. Asics Tigers. 2 pairs - one with a blue stripe, one with a yellow stripe.

Half-socks with megaphones embroidered on the ankle. Actual turtlenecks, actual sweaters, and when we got the shell-top uni, we were the business.
Hey, hey, hey... I still have a pair of those bad boys with my old program embroidered in the megaphone... for my future minions.

Kaepas are still (unfortunately) really common here! Clearly Britain is that backwards country everyone was talking about earlier...
And what is a banana prep!?

Banana preps were like straight jumps, with an arch to your back. We would do toe touch, banana prep, toe touch, banana, and so on between jumps. So much wasted energy!!

How about double hooks and double 9's for jumps??

We also had the body suits with matching ribbon on the arm to match the shell. The first time I put one on I couldn't bend my arms.

Plastic poms that were shipped flat so that you had to fluff them to make them poofy. We were told to take 2 strips, lick your palms and rub the plastic between your hands from bottom to top to crinkle them. Jut when you thought you were done you found another section.

Also, way back when I was in high school, we could throw rotational tosses and 2 1/2 high pyramids. Usually just back tucks. And if you had libs, you were the bomb. Ir you had a variation, especially a scorp, you were pretty much guaranteed a win if you kept it in the air.

263969_527296983952668_871285574_n.jpg

What about the arm bands on bodysuits?? I remember them being super tight and uncomfortable. I usually just see the plain bodysuits now! Although I really do think this uniform was gorgeous, kinda bums me out that people opt for the plain cheaper ones now

Is this McMinnville Hs in Oregon??

Where I live, the school teams still do sew in hair pieces, pleated or fly away skirts etc. The high school teams are much better and more up to date but the elementary and jr high age is so far behind. You'd all laugh if you saw what goes on here for the younger teams. A lot of bounce bounce in stunts. Very outdated routines. It's quite the spectacle haha. So glad I have nothing to do with it anymore. Liking old school style is one thing but it's bad when the "big" comp here is adding a division for traditional stamp clap cheer.

My clogging team back in middle/high school used those sew in hairpieces from cheerleaderhairpieces.com...it was quite odd.

Back