All-Star The 'right' Level

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Imho there is a big difference in what you are talking about - when as a team you have decided to push yourselves and move up a level knowing that it is going to be a challenging season, and I give your team many props for that - as opposed to a gym deciding they are going to have a level 5 team because they have 4 kids with fulls and can hit some level 5 stunts just for the sake of saying they have a level 5 team. Wishing you a successful season!
thank you so much !

Before we compete I explain to the parents what they can expect on how their team will be scored and what the scoresheets call for in terms of levels etc.
After each competition, we go over the scoresheets with the kids and their parents and talk about what we did well and what we need to improve on.
I think it helps a lot! And I always have more parents at practice on those nights so I know they are interested in how it all works. I also send a scoring recap email for those that can't attend.

I prefer having educated parents. It is just overall better for everyone to be in the know about how it all works. And it keeps them from assuming and speculating and coming up with wild theories about placements.
I wish my gym did this. we are new to this and would love to better understand the sport.

I wish my gym did this. we are new to this and would love to better understand the sport.

I don't understand why gyms/coaches don't do this. It really helps me out in the long run. Instead of trying to answer a million emails with questions, I can answer everyone with one team meeting after a comp.
There are so many pros to this and it takes about 10-15 minutes tops. And we watch the video too.

I really just prefer this to the really silly theories people tend to come up with to explain why we won or lost.

I don't understand why gyms/coaches don't do this. It really helps me out in the long run. Instead of trying to answer a million emails with questions, I can answer everyone with one team meeting after a comp.
There are so many pros to this and it takes about 10-15 minutes tops. And we watch the video too.

I really just prefer this to the really silly theories people tend to come up with to explain why we won or lost.

I don't understand it either. What other sport out there do parents / spectators know less about?

And it doesn't even need to be super detailed info; even some general review would go a long way to quell some of the silly theories.

I am back to your idea of having some parents "trained" to understand judging. Even that would help a lot.

I know this can't work in cheer - but one thing I liked about club volleyball was the teams all had to ref & keep official score for each other. This made them accountable for learning the game from this perspective as well. Most teams worked to take it seriously and pay attention because they wanted the same in return. They also really understood being on the side of a ref and having to make those quick calls. Many a tournament did my daugther have to face the voices of opposing parents who did not like her call - but she always stuck to her guns.

Helping the CPs to better understand how the judging works - for the sport they have chosen should also be a priority IMO.

I do see some gyms that force having a level 5 team just to say they have one. Why would you have say a restricted 5 and a 4 if the same kids are on both teams...
Exactly, just because you have a couple of athletes that can throw Level 5 skills, doesn't mean that you have a Level 5 team. Additionally what good does it do the true Level 5 athletes with staying with the gym that doesn't offer their skill level or a chance to go to Worlds, I understand loyalty and being happy where you are, but shouldn't you strive to be your best and take every opportunity to achieve your goals. Maybe those true Level 5 athletes that are at a gym that doesn't offer a level 5 team, just don't know what is out there for them. I don't have a child that is at that Level yet, but I want to give her every opportunity to be the best she can be and since she is older, we switched gyms to give her the opportunity that if her skills reach level 5 to be on a Worlds team and not to have to wait until the gym gets to that level. I guess it's just what you think is best for your child.

Exactly, just because you have a couple of athletes that can throw Level 5 skills, doesn't mean that you have a Level 5 team. Additionally what good does it do the true Level 5 athletes with staying with the gym that doesn't offer their skill level or a chance to go to Worlds, I understand loyalty and being happy where you are, but shouldn't you strive to be your best and take every opportunity to achieve your goals. Maybe those true Level 5 athletes that are at a gym that doesn't offer a level 5 team, just don't know what is out there for them. I don't have a child that is at that Level yet, but I want to give her every opportunity to be the best she can be and since she is older, we switched gyms to give her the opportunity that if her skills reach level 5 to be on a Worlds team and not to have to wait until the gym gets to that level. I guess it's just what you think is best for your child.
THISSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

I would like to start off by saying I have solid level 3 tumbling. I have level 4 tumbling with a spot and I'm currently working on my full.This is true for about a quarter of my team. We have three fulls and one double as well as about five girls with little to no tumbling. Our whole gym of 16 people loves our coach to pieces and wouldn't want to be taught by anyone else. We are competing at level 5 and I wish so badly we could compete at 4 or restricted because our tumbling just isn't level 5 tumbling.

Back