All-Star The Summit 2017 Updates

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

They are always impressive!
A lot of their success comes from being an island. I know that sounds crazy but here's what I have gathered...

Hawaii is home to both HPU and UH, two very very good cheer programs (sad that HPU doesn't compete anymore) but that is where the majority of their coaching comes from. I've been to Hawaii a few times. The second time we went, we got to meet with the head coach of HPU and watch their practice that weekend (right before NCA) We also did a stunt private with a former HPU cheerleader. At that time, Hawaii only had 1 or 2 very small cheer programs. One was Cheer 808 and the other was Na Hoku. (there may have been others but they weren't well known yet and not sure if Na Hoku is still around) but that led to more interest in the talent on the island (untapped). So more former cheerleaders opened up other gyms, Island Elite, Hawaii Allstars, etc. There was so much untapped talent on the island, it was only a matter of time before it exploded. Their high school teams are phenomenal ranking in top 3 at NCA Dallas. Not to mention, not many people leave the island once they're there. So, longevity helps.

On a side note, my daughter dreams of cheering in Hawaii....one day.

My CP got second to them at NCA a few years ago in small gym category. I remember how phenomenal they were and thinking they could win even in large gym category.

Last edited:
Out of how many total teams for each of these programs? I know some programs bring dozens of teams on any bid imaginable and others only accept paid and bring very few teams. I would love to see a percentage breakdown including paid vs at large vs wildcard
Star Athletics brought 9 teams of which six made it to finals.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I know people in certain geographical locations with not enough bids or too many "big name" teams will disagree with me, but I hope it never gets easier to get Summit bids and the numbers are not drastically increased each year. (Though with the addition of the new venue next season, I'm guessing there will be because more can be accommodated.)

The Summit has everything I am missing from worlds; steep competition every day no matter what kind of bid you arrived on, HIGH caliber teams in their respective divisions, cleanliness, consistency, perfected routines. There's not one team I had to watch with jaw dropped, saying a prayer for their ACL's, curious how they arrived at the highest caliber event of the season. There's no crazy drop off in scores below the top five where the rest of the division is "okay." They're all so great and truly any team in the division could win.

It makes me very happy.

I know people in certain geographical locations with not enough bids or too many "big name" teams will disagree with me, but I hope it never gets easier to get Summit bids and the numbers are not drastically increased each year. (Though with the addition of the new venue next season, I'm guessing there will be because more can be accommodated.)

The Summit has everything I am missing from worlds; steep competition every day no matter what kind of bid you arrived on, HIGH caliber teams in their respective divisions, cleanliness, consistency, perfected routines. There's not one team I had to watch with jaw dropped, saying a prayer for their ACL's, curious how they arrived at the highest caliber event of the season. There's no crazy drop off in scores below the top five where the rest of the division is "okay." They're all so great and truly any team in the division could win.

It makes me very happy.

The only thing I didn't like is the limited number of teams who advance from the Wildcard round. It seems like those numbers should be adjusted based on the number of teams in the division. Some divisions had 25-30+ teams. It just seems like it would be fair to advance more than 3 teams in large divisions. Other divisions only had 3-4 teams so they automatically advanced to the finals based on the Wildcard rules.

I'm sure plenty would disagree with me especially those who look down on Wildcard recipient teams.

It makes me very happy.
I don't disagree, but I think there is a direct correlation between these type of quality teams and the ability to sandbag/stack. You can't sandbag at level 5 and you can't double roster at Worlds, so I wouldn't expect the quality to be the same across the board at Worlds. Some of those Summit teams that everyone is raving about could also be the same teams who have athletes who have higher level skills across the score sheet than the level they are competing at and/or are competing at two different levels - which has been a pretty hot topic on the boards.

I don't disagree, but I think there is a direct correlation between these type of quality teams and the ability to sandbag/stack. You can't sandbag at level 5 and you can't double roster at Worlds, so I wouldn't expect the quality to be the same across the board at Worlds. Some of those Summit teams that everyone is raving about could also be the same teams who have athletes who have higher level skills across the score sheet than the level they are competing at and/or are competing at two different levels - which has been a pretty hot topic on the boards.
THIS 100%. I don't think you would see the same quality at summit if there was an ability to keep kids from competing well below their actual level.

I don't necessarily want to see more bid to the summit, but I would like to see the available bids more evenly distributed. Many competitions in our area only offer 1 bid for the entire competition, at most 2 while competitions of the same size in other areas are offering 3-5. I think there should be a strict formula as to how many bids are offered based on the number of teams entered and it should be applied equally to ALL bid competitions.

What's the Summit crossover policy? Can an athlete compete on more than one team there?

I know in the past there has been controversy around Worlds athletes coming back the following weekend and magically appearing on some Summit teams from their gym. Does this still go on?

THIS 100%. I don't think you would see the same quality at summit if there was an ability to keep kids from competing well below their actual level.

I don't necessarily want to see more bid to the summit, but I would like to see the available bids more evenly distributed. Many competitions in our area only offer 1 bid for the entire competition, at most 2 while competitions of the same size in other areas are offering 3-5. I think there should be a strict formula as to how many bids are offered based on the number of teams entered and it should be applied equally to ALL bid competitions.

The distribution of bids across competitions is much more equitbile in terms of number of bids given at each for the up coming season. I didn't notice whether there is a better geographical distribution though.

Does World Cup not send many teams to Summit?? I can only remember watching 1 or 2 of their teams compete which was disappointing

Does World Cup not send many teams to Summit?? I can only remember watching 1 or 2 of their teams compete which was disappointing

I know, I think the only team that was there was one of the PA teams, but as a prominent gym, I would like to see them at Summit, I want to say there is a reason they don't go, but I wish they did and it would be great to get insight on why!

I know, I think the only team that was there was one of the PA teams, but as a prominent gym, I would like to see them at Summit, I want to say there is a reason they don't go, but I wish they did and it would be great to get insight on why!

Oh, they are accepting in the 2017-2018 season.. still unsure of why in the past they did not.

Back