All-Star The Summit 2017 Updates

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

What's the Summit crossover policy? Can an athlete compete on more than one team there?

I know in the past there has been controversy around Worlds athletes coming back the following weekend and magically appearing on some Summit teams from their gym. Does this still go on?
An athlete can only compete on 2 teams, and can only go up or down one level. 5 Worlds athletes are allowed per team (only 4 and R5/5). J5 can have up to 8 Worlds athletes.

What's the Summit crossover policy? Can an athlete compete on more than one team there?

I know in the past there has been controversy around Worlds athletes coming back the following weekend and magically appearing on some Summit teams from their gym. Does this still go on?

I know teams are able to have cross overs but not sure about crossing over different levels. Teams are allowed to have 5 crossovers from Worlds teams to summit teams- if it is level 5 or R5 I believe number goes up to 8? Edited: it is only a junior non restricted that can go up to 8 :)

Agree that I enjoy the competition and cleanliness across the board, but sandbagging does also come to mind. Yes I love the clean back walkover as as much as everyone else (amazing!) but my first thought was they probably all have clean backhandsprings as well. I'm usually thinking this about some super clean lower level teams. Fun to watch yes but wonder if the kids are really competing at their full potential? Always outliers on team but for some it seems like majority could be up a level or 2.

Last edited:
An athlete can only compete on 2 teams, and can only go up or down one level. 5 Worlds athletes are allowed per team (only 4 and R5/5). J5 can have up to 8 Worlds athletes.

But, if a gym is not sending their higher level teams to Summit, athletes from those teams are free to be on lower level teams at the Summit. That's a problem that needs to be addressed.

But, if a gym is not sending their higher level teams to Summit, athletes from those teams are free to be on lower level teams at the Summit. That's a problem that needs to be addressed.
However you can only replace 25% of team from original roster. So gyms are limited to the number of higher level athletes they can add to an established team.

However you can only replace 25% of team from original roster. So gyms are limited to the number of higher level athletes they can add to an established team.

Yes, that is true. But, what we have seen is that gyms are filling their teams with higher level athletes to earn bids. If the higher level teams don't earn bids they are fine. If the higher level team does earn a bid, they replace those athletes with those from teams within the one level allowed. While is may be only 25%, that's 5 athletes for a team of 19 or 20. That can make a substantial difference if the five are level 4 and 5s crossing to a level 2.

I have to say that Cheer Factory's LJ1 was AMAZING! Those bwos were impeccable. I loved their routine last year too! My daughter's team. Star Athletics Jr. Chrome, was in their division. I am, obviously, not a judge, so I have a quick question. Why is it that there is none of the "usual" running tumbling in their routine? What is within their routine that IS considered running tumbling? TIA!

I have to say that Cheer Factory's LJ1 was AMAZING! Those bwos were impeccable. I loved their routine last year too! My daughter's team. Star Athletics Jr. Chrome, was in their division. I am, obviously, not a judge, so I have a quick question. Why is it that there is none of the "usual" running tumbling in their routine? What is within their routine that IS considered running tumbling? TIA!
Any of their passes that start with a front walkover is running, they had a good number of those.

I was wondering that too. Their Y1 team went against my CP's team last season and I thought wow their technique and flexibility is amazing but their routine is kinda weird, no running tumbling. Just showing off skills all in a row. I read the explanation below so I realize they do have running tumbling even if there's no running involved... lol.

I know people in certain geographical locations with not enough bids or too many "big name" teams will disagree with me, but I hope it never gets easier to get Summit bids and the numbers are not drastically increased each year. (Though with the addition of the new venue next season, I'm guessing there will be because more can be accommodated.)

The Summit has everything I am missing from worlds; steep competition every day no matter what kind of bid you arrived on, HIGH caliber teams in their respective divisions, cleanliness, consistency, perfected routines. There's not one team I had to watch with jaw dropped, saying a prayer for their ACL's, curious how they arrived at the highest caliber event of the season. There's no crazy drop off in scores below the top five where the rest of the division is "okay." They're all so great and truly any team in the division could win.

It makes me very happy.

Don't be too happy.

Some of these kids are cheering for Shady Athletics Senior 3 - Deja Vu (Didn't I Ju5t 5ee You At World5.)

Yes they are. There is no way those kids are true level 1. Their technique looks like our level 3 kids on those skills.

Anything that begins with forward momentum counts as running, so all FWO passes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CP has watched Cheer Factory's J1 team the last few years (as we share a gym name and same division) and we've always been amazed at the technique. I too was wondering where the running tumbling was. But while I think their walkovers are great and flexibility is kind of insane, I still found myself a little bored with the routine. I'm curious how they'd do if they sped up their music just a bit. (Even CP's walkovers are much better slowed down - CP's team does 2 BWOs, CW, BWO in the time it takes that team to do 2 BWOs).

CP has watched Cheer Factory's J1 team the last few years (as we share a gym name and same division) and we've always been amazed at the technique. I too was wondering where the running tumbling was. But while I think their walkovers are great and flexibility is kind of insane, I still found myself a little bored with the routine. I'm curious how they'd do if they sped up their music just a bit. (Even CP's walkovers are much better slowed down - CP's team does 2 BWOs, CW, BWO in the time it takes that team to do 2 BWOs).
I am glad I am not the only one. While I can truly appreciate the magical technique and precision, the whole routine composition is just unexciting. I love the action and energy of routines with a fast pace and unique transitional elements.
Again, truly love the technique so I'm not trying to bash or downplay. Just not my cup of tea for the entertainment factor.

Back