Theme Ideas

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 24, 2015
Im looking for theme ideas for HS cheering..preferably something that hasn't been played out or overdone. I'd love something that can be tied into their bows & comp wear..we have some talented crafty coaches that make a lot of the accessories themselves. Also curious if its a good or bad idea for middle school,JV & varsity to have same theme in different variations?? Sorry..Im fairly new at all this!

Im looking for theme ideas for HS cheering..preferably something that hasn't been played out or overdone. I'd love something that can be tied into their bows & comp wear..we have some talented crafty coaches that make a lot of the accessories themselves. Also curious if its a good or bad idea for middle school,JV & varsity to have same theme in different variations?? Sorry..Im fairly new at all this!
Are you asking for a practice theme? Or a theme for the season?

Is there anything unique about your town or state?
Nothing unique that comes to mind. Our cheer program has grown a lot in the past few years,enough that they were able to start cheer program in the middle school & recently added JV at the high school. 1 of the coaches just asked to try & get theme ideas for football season & since Im fairly new to all this,I was instantly stumped. The only theme I was ever really aware of in the past was American soldier & that was in honor of my sons first deployment because my CP had a rough time adjusting to him being gone.

Nothing unique that comes to mind. Our cheer program has grown a lot in the past few years,enough that they were able to start cheer program in the middle school & recently added JV at the high school. 1 of the coaches just asked to try & get theme ideas for football season & since Im fairly new to all this,I was instantly stumped. The only theme I was ever really aware of in the past was American soldier & that was in honor of my sons first deployment because my CP had a rough time adjusting to him being gone.
Maybe evolution (like how CEA had voiceovers and everything about the evolution of their program)? New beginnings (like a genesis)?

Football season theme ideas as in corresponding with the Pep Rallies? (Like "Rope the Mustangs" and then a western theme)
OR for a separate competition/half time routine that does not correspond?

Themes in general:
-Western theme
-Specific Era in Time (50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90-00's)
-Specific Color (routine would have songs talking about "Red", etc. etc.
-Spy theme (007)
-Ice theme
-Fire theme
-Jungle theme
-Magic theme
-Egyptian theme (walk like an egyptian......)
-Latin inspired/"fiesta" theme
-Jetsetter theme ( just combine some of the latin, egyptian, etc. ideas for an around the globe idea)
-Glam/supermodel theme
-Circus theme
-Rockstar theme
-Celebrity / diva theme
-Princess/royal theme
-Superhero theme
-Thunder/lightning/storm theme
-Hawaiian/tropical theme
-Disney theme
-Pirate theme
-Ninja theme
-Boy band theme
-Movie theme
-Video Game theme
-Cartoons theme

Thank you for all the suggestions,much appreciated! I think it'll be narrowed down into a few options so the kids can vote on it during their tryouts,that way they feel they have a say in it. We still have a month or 2 to decide..Im just trying to get as much as possible planned out well ahead of time.

With older kids I've noticed how they are so sensitive about appearing immature. It's so important that they be viewed as current, hip and cool. A well liked theme is the perfect incentive for a squad to give it their all and really be invested. So I asked my seventeen year old daughter (she's been cheering about ten years) what she thought might work. She felt that a lot could be done with a Burlesque theme. But, probably just for High School. Or possibly a gangster/Mafia theme. Even
a Hip Hop/Dubstep theme could be cool. As for middle school, J.V., and High School having the same theme. For a myriad of reasons I think it would work better if they all had a unique theme they could own.

As far as having 1 team vs. all teams with the same theme, it would depend on how the coach wants to structure the program.......
Having a program wide theme could bring all 3 teams together and promote unity, IF the teams spend time together and watch each other/cheer each other on closely at practices. I.E. Program unity has to be promoted as a whole, not just with the same routine theme. If the teams are very separated (such as Middle School having completely separate practices, so the older teams do not know the girls well), the older ones would not be too thrilled probably sharing with the middle schoolers.

Having separate themes allows for each individual team to "own" their routine and take pride in it. There could be mild envy between teams, if some individuals wanted a theme that another team has/dislike their own theme. You'd probably have to get Varsity to choose their theme first, and then JV, then Middle School (it may be difficult for teams to come to a decision all squad members are happy with. The more choices given, the harder it will be for them to come to an agreement. Therefore, the coach would probably need to narrow it down to 3-4 ideas for Varsity, then pass it down to 2-3 ideas for JV, and 2 ideas for Middle school to vote on). This promotes something for the Middle School/JV kids to look forward to when they get to Varsity.....first pick of theme.

Overall, I'd say that it depends on the group of girls you have, in addition to the program structure. Do the older girls feel close with the younger ones (Varsity has their "little sis"/favorite on middle school team, some sort of bond with them)? Or is it more a tone of annoyance/resentment (Varsity gets impatient trying to teach them, Varsity too "mature" and therefore is over it, etc.)?

With older kids I've noticed how they are so sensitive about appearing immature. It's so important that they be viewed as current, hip and cool. A well liked theme is the perfect incentive for a squad to give it their all and really be invested. So I asked my seventeen year old daughter (she's been cheering about ten years) what she thought might work. She felt that a lot could be done with a Burlesque theme. But, probably just for High School. Or possibly a gangster/Mafia theme. Even
a Hip Hop/Dubstep theme could be cool. As for middle school, J.V., and High School having the same theme. For a myriad of reasons I think it would work better if they all had a unique theme they could own.
Exactly my concern,I want something age appropriate that they'll truly enjoy & be excited about. I think they'll work a lot harder for something they actually like rather than just putting in bare minimum to get through the season. A lot of JV programs have newbies that have never cheered before..I believe if you aren't able to get them to fall in love with the sport that first season they may never try it again & Id hate to see that happen.

As far as having 1 team vs. all teams with the same theme, it would depend on how the coach wants to structure the program.......
Having a program wide theme could bring all 3 teams together and promote unity, IF the teams spend time together and watch each other/cheer each other on closely at practices. I.E. Program unity has to be promoted as a whole, not just with the same routine theme. If the teams are very separated (such as Middle School having completely separate practices, so the older teams do not know the girls well), the older ones would not be too thrilled probably sharing with the middle schoolers.

Having separate themes allows for each individual team to "own" their routine and take pride in it. There could be mild envy between teams, if some individuals wanted a theme that another team has/dislike their own theme. You'd probably have to get Varsity to choose their theme first, and then JV, then Middle School (it may be difficult for teams to come to a decision all squad members are happy with. The more choices given, the harder it will be for them to come to an agreement. Therefore, the coach would probably need to narrow it down to 3-4 ideas for Varsity, then pass it down to 2-3 ideas for JV, and 2 ideas for Middle school to vote on). This promotes something for the Middle School/JV kids to look forward to when they get to Varsity.....first pick of theme.

Overall, I'd say that it depends on the group of girls you have, in addition to the program structure. Do the older girls feel close with the younger ones (Varsity has their "little sis"/favorite on middle school team, some sort of bond with them)? Or is it more a tone of annoyance/resentment (Varsity gets impatient trying to teach them, Varsity too "mature" and therefore is over it, etc.)?
All great points & things to consider,thank you! I've never seen any animosity between any of them,even those that don't run in the same circles outside of cheering seem to leave it all off the mats & respect each other no matter their skill level or age. They encourage each other & stick together as a cheer family which is great considering the age differences alone. They don't spend a lot of time together since everyone practices at different times,but tumbling classes are done by skill level so they interact & bond there as well as games,rally's,comps,etc. Basically they spend enough time together to get to know one another,but not so much time that they get annoyed by things like age & maturity differences

I actually love the burlesque idea..but I was a dancer so I may be a bit biased lol. Although I know my CP would personally love it as well

CP (16) did a burlesque theme dance with parts of her cheer team for a fundraiser last year. They really loved it and you have some options (music, accessories, etc). I´ve been a little bit worried about being age appropriate but fortunenately no one ever raised a hand. They´d happily do it again!

Back