All-Star Themed Practice Controversy

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This topic is very hard to address because it affects different people in different ways.

Racism can occur against any race.

To me, color isn't the problem, it's us grouping people by color. I'm white but that doesn't mean I share the same culture and values with all other white people.

It also has to do with how you are raised and how you learn to adapt and learn about others and be culturally aware. My grandfather was very racist. He grew up in a time where his parents and family taught him that that was okay. Until the day he died, he made rude racist comments (Side note, he wouldn't watch golf if Tiger Woods was playing because golf was a white man's sport). My mom (his daughter) was raised differently (by my grandma who didn't tolerate most of my grandpas comments) and was more accepting of other cultures. She then taught my sister and I to value other people for who they are and not where they come from or what they believe in.

People want to play the race card and make other people feel bad for things they cannot in fact change. I had a black person once tell me that I owed them for what my ancestors did to theirs. That's stereotyping white people because my ancestors never owned slaves and didn't even immigrate to this country until the 1900's. I am sorry for what has happened in our country's history and that is not something we can go back and change but we can learn from our mistakes and be better people because of it.

And for the record, for whomever said that white people were never slaves, you are quite wrong. In Ireland, my great grandpa's neighbor owned Irish slaves. The neighbor was catholic and the slaves were Protestant. So I guess it was more along lines of religion but look same skin color and even same heritage, still slavery because of a difference between them. Should Protestants make Catholics feel bad because someone's ancestors might have owned Protestant slaves?

Last edited:
i usually see things in the world more everyone's cultural rather then race or ethnicity. For as long as remember my family as well as my tribe have drilled in my head that your culture is everything and if don't have it anymore or lose it you pretty much have nothing. I always get excited that someone from another culture have something i do or have that is similar. For example one day I was outside my house and this tourist stopped by my house. She was so excited she asked me what the structure was in my yard (non-natives sometimes think it's a fancy dog house, i always laugh at that). I told her it was an oven where we bake bread. She she said she was from Europe and in her village they have a oven similar to ours. I thought that was pretty cool and small world.
i grew up with Hispanics, Mexicans, African Americans, and other tribes. When i saw that picture I thought cholo/chola. So i think it's definitely where and how grew up or live currently. In middle school my friends and dressed chola for Halloween. Most of my friends were Hispanic and their idea. So didn't take offense to it not because I'm not Hispanic but because its a lifestyle.
being Native American, some stereotypes get mad and some don't. Its because i i know my life and know that some of those are true for other natives. Most stereotypes are im a drunk, I live off the government, im a slut, i have tons of kids, im not educated. I don't drink or at least know my limits. Are other people in my tribe drunks heck yes. I got drunk once in high school and hated it. I didn't understand still don't why people get drunk. Some family members are recovering alcoholics. So pretty much I have a higher chance of becoming one. I was never scared of becoming one because I hardly drink and hate throwing up lol. I don't have kids-just take care of them. Do people my age or younger have a lot of kids? Yes. That doesn't make them any less than me. It was their choice. Even though I get benefits like free Dr visit most of the tribe,my family, and I have heath insurance. My tribe believes in education. They give people money to go to college. We pretty much govern ourselves. We have laws and our own court.

I see it like it all comes to your personal experiences, your ethnic groups history /experiences, and any other experiences that makes you think a certain way. We're all different but we are a similar in many ways.
With all that being said I don know your life so can't judge you or tell you that you shouldn't be offended by something.

eta: all natives are not the same. We all have different languages, cultures, and religions. That's a common stereotype that gets me mad. Lol sorry for all the spelling mistakes. I promise I'm a better speller than that. I was just typing fast on my phone.

Last edited:
i usually see things in the world more everyone's cultural rather then race or ethnicity. For as long as remember my family as well as my tribe have drilled in my head that your culture is everything and if don't have it anymore or lose it you pretty much have nothing. I always get excited that someone from another culture have something i do or have that is similar. For example one day I was outside my house and this tourist stopped by my house. She was so excited she asked me what the structure was in my yard (non-natives sometimes think it's a fancy dog house, i always laugh at that). I told her it was an oven where we bake bread. She she said she was from Europe and in her village they have a oven similar to ours. I thought that was pretty cool and small world.
i grew up with Hispanics, Mexicans, African Americans, and other tribes. When i saw that picture I thought cholo/chola. So i think it's definitely where and how grew up or live currently. In middle school my friends and dressed chola for Halloween. Most of my friends were Hispanic and their idea. So didn't take offense to it not because I'm not Hispanic but because its a lifestyle.
being Native American, some stereotypes get mad and some don't. Its because i i know my life and know that some of those are true for other natives. Most stereotypes are im a drunk, I live off the government, im a slut, i have tons of kids, im not educated. I don't drink or at least know my limits. Are other people in my tribe drunks heck yes. I got drunk once in high school and hated it. I didn't understand still don't why people get drunk. Some family members are recovering alcoholics. So pretty much I have a higher chance of becoming one. I was never scared of becoming one because I hardly drink and hate throwing up lol. I don't have kids-just take care of them. Do people my age or younger have a lot of kids? Yes. That doesn't make them any less than me. It was their choice. Even though I get benefits like free Dr visit most of the tribe,my family, and I have heath insurance. My tribe believes in education. They give people money to go to college. We pretty much govern ourselves. We have laws and our own court.

I see it like it all comes to your personal experiences, your ethnic groups history /experiences, and any other experiences that makes you think a certain way. We're all different but we are a similar in many ways.
With all that being said I don know your life so can't judge you or tell you that you shouldn't be offended by something.
Totally random, but the mention of your bread oven reminds me of the fact that most Cajun families in Louisiana have their own smokehouses in which they smoke homemade sausage.

Last edited:
Totally random, but the mention of your bread oven reminds me of the fact that most Cajun families in Louisiana have their own smokehouses in which they smoke homemade sausage.
that's awesome. I always laugh at the dog house thing. Because although I love dogs and have some, most dogs in my tribe are outside dogs. They have shelter. One of the laws that was just enforced was the number of dogs per household. They're registered and have tags. Any dogs that don't will be taken to shelters. They have to be fixed. Its been a problem for years but just recently been enforced. Sometimes because its the res people drop off unwanted dogs on our land.
ETA again spelling mistakes ugh.

Last edited:
one more post on this stereotypes/race topic. Do you ever make fun of your self or your culture/ethnicity? We do and I do. Sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself. I'm a pueblo Indian. We do stuff, say stuff that others wouldn't get. There is book by these pueblo guys. Its pretty much cartoons making fun of ourselves. I forget the title though. Its pretty fun though. And probably only pueblo natives would get it.
I have a fun story that has nothing to do with this stereotypes. I'm "Catholic"( I believe in god) but I also believe in my religion. Most pueblos are lucky that way. My people were not conquered by the white man (they came later). We were conquered by the Spanish. They forced us to be catholic. Then we kicked them out (Pueblo Revolt). They came back took over again. In order for us to live we just accepted it. Hence why I'm Catholic. Each tribe was given a saint and other things (can't say private). So we pretty much have a mixture of both religions. We just practice our religion part on their religious holidays. Anyway back to my story. They day after my tribes feast i was outside my house. And this car pulls and parks close to my house. The people get out and take out their folding chairs. My niece and I looked at each other confused. The guy asks us -so we are pretty early huh and I got good parking. We just laughed and nicely told him he was a year early because it was the day before. He laughed and went back to his car and packed up his chairs.

ETA: I feel like I revealed so much about myself in this thread and in one night.

Last edited:
Ugh, yes! Anytime an African family friend throws a party, they deliberately give all of the guests an earlier start time because everyone runs on "African time" (2 hours late lol).

Ugh, yes! Anytime an African family friend throws a party, they deliberately give all of the guests an earlier start time because everyone runs on "African time" (2 hours late lol).
lol that is so funny. Kind of similar to my family. My auntie is always late. My mom and I tell each other oh auntie said she would be here at ten which means we'll see her at 12.

@pebbles49 I think we may be twins. I'm the baby of my family and look younger than my age. I just had to point that out from one of your posts. I'm too lazy/tired to look for the post and quote you so I just tagged you.

So guys this was a fun thread huh?
te7y7y2a.jpg

80s theme anyone?

I hope you people that were around in the 80s don't get offended by her leg warmers. I was born in 88 so technically I wasn't old enough to remember the 80s so I don't count.
@Kris10boo
OMG!!! Your cp is adorable and her outfit is great! Now that's an appropriate "theme"! I'm old enough to remember the 80's (unfortunately). So darn cute:)

I I suppose we didn't think that it would be offense because of the way most people in the UP embrace the "yooper" culture. I'm happy that you embrace your heritage and your encourage your children to so as well. Thinking about it, I get upset when I hear people say derogatory things about Hispanic or Native American culture because of my heritage. I'm actually looking forward to going to school in the UP so I can learn more about llFinnish culture because I've always been fascinated by it. I guess what I'm trying to say is thank for making me realize what I and my school have been doing is wrong and offensive. And I sincerely mean that.

Do you remember what school it was? If it was NMU then I'll (hopefully) be cheering there this year :)
@Daniellerae...
I hope you know that I didn't want to attack or offend you. I've honestly never heard that term before either??!! I just wanted to make you aware that some could take it personal. Michigan has a very diverse and interesting history and I encourage ALL to educate! I do a ton a genealogy work for fun and I have traced both my paternal and maternal sides back to 1600's. That's awesome you want to learn more about your "Finnish" history. As an FYI you will definitely find some language barriers, as I did myself.
Good luck at NMU! I send my oldest cp off to college next year!

So I read this whole dang thread, and to be honest there are some fb members that amaze me with their arrogance.

It's not worth it to re-hash what's already been said. People will think what they want.

I do want to say this : @pebbles49 you did not have verify your story for anyone, or your age. Who in their right mind would tell that story for "dramatic effect"? I'm sorry that's something you had to deal with.

lol that is so funny. Kind of similar to my family. My auntie is always late. My mom and I tell each other oh auntie said she would be here at ten which means we'll see her at 12.
I must admit, I am the guilty party in this equation. I guess, my attitude is, if this is not a paying gig, don't count me in to be on time...hahaha
PS: I've never been late for work, always early waiting to get started...

So I read this whole dang thread, and to be honest there are some fb members that amaze me with their arrogance.

It's not worth it to re-hash what's already been said. People will think what they want.

I do want to say this : @pebbles49 you did not have verify your story for anyone, or your age. Who in their right mind would tell that story for "dramatic effect"? I'm sorry that's something you had to deal with.

Thank you for the support, but I am not offended when people respond like this... It is hard for some people to hear stories like this from regular people and tend to not believe it! Some of the stories that the older people have not told must be even more traumatic than that one, because my Mom, who grew up and did not leave those parts until she was 28, has not returned to the South since 1968 and refuses to go back... I was only 5, I can only remember what I seen and what people occasionally told after getting much older, so because I did not really get a chance to experience much of the prejudices of the Deep South, the things that happened hurts, but for me it is not a deep seeded pain that my Mom and others of her generation might be feeling...
PS: In some ways it can be cathartic to talk about it and release that pain... But I am not that sure if Fierceboard is the proper media for it...just saying!;)

This topic is very hard to address because it affects different people in different ways.

Racism can occur against any race.

To me, color isn't the problem, it's us grouping people by color. I'm white but that doesn't mean I share the same culture and values with all other white people.

It also has to do with how you are raised and how you learn to adapt and learn about others and be culturally aware. My grandfather was very racist. He grew up in a time where his parents and family taught him that that was okay. Until the day he died, he made rude racist comments (Side note, he wouldn't watch golf if Tiger Woods was playing because golf was a white man's sport). My mom (his daughter) was raised differently (by my grandma who didn't tolerate most of my grandpas comments) and was more accepting of other cultures. She then taught my sister and I to value other people for who they are and not where they come from or what they believe in.

People want to play the race card and make other people feel bad for things they cannot in fact change. I had a black person once tell me that I owed them for what my ancestors did to theirs. That's stereotyping white people because my ancestors never owned slaves and didn't even immigrate to this country until the 1900's. I am sorry for what has happened in our country's history and that is not something we can go back and change but we can learn from our mistakes and be better people because of it.

And for the record, for whomever said that white people were never slaves, you are quite wrong. In Ireland, my great grandpa's neighbor owned Irish slaves. The neighbor was catholic and the slaves were Protestant. So I guess it was more along lines of religion but look same skin color and even same heritage, still slavery because of a difference between them. Should Protestants make Catholics feel bad because someone's ancestors might have owned Protestant slaves?
I wholeheartedly agree with your comments and wish I could shimmy you at least 99 times... When you mentioned your Grandpa and his racism. There is an ongoing joke in the Black community and Chris Rock talked about it in one of his comedy routines, there is not a worse racist than an old Black Man (usually, 80+) and a White person does not even realize how close to death they come to, because Black Grandpas will be smiling in your face and soon as you walk away talk about how many ways they could do you in... (Which is laughable to us, because they doing all this puff up talking and will just smile and "yes", you to death when you come back)

Last edited:
Back