All-Star "throw It"

• Thread starter Deleted member 8658
  • Start date

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

NJ Coach said:
If something is supposed to be full out (either sections or entire routine), and something is marked, we keep going until everything is thrown. If one person marking is making the team do more full outs than they were supposed to, it usually gets fixed pretty fast.

I do this too! Once, years ago, it caused a big ol fight! I had a diva on a coed team and one night she wouldn't do her pass (again) and after about the fifth time in a row, the boys went ape$#1! It was awesome lol! Keep in mind these boys were football playin, country music lovin, mischeif makin, beefcakes. She never missed another pass again!

I do this too! Once, years ago, it caused a big ol fight! I had a diva on a coed team and one night she wouldn't do her pass (again) and after about the fifth time in a row, the boys went ape$#1! It was awesome lol! Keep in mind these boys were football playin, country music lovin, mischeif makin, beefcakes. She never missed another pass again!

It's amazing how a team can take care of things like this themselves. I've had it not work once. She was removed from the team (there were more issues than just not throwing skills).

So here's another question for you guys....what if the person (people) not throwing their skills or giving it their very best is claiming to be injured or sick? --Throw in whatever excuse you like-- I hate all of them-- and they simply cannot do the conditioning or drill. How do you handle your melodramatic teenage girls?

i get very frustrated when kids on the team i coach do not throw their tumbling, if they are injured, or have a legitimate excuse then i completely understand...however when there are people not throwing things that i KNOW have beautiful tumbling and they are being lazy, it's very frustrating...and it's usually the same people at every practice. after a little positive motivation they seem to be fine! :)

NJ Coach said:
It's amazing how a team can take care of things like this themselves. I've had it not work once. She was removed from the team (there were more issues than just not throwing skills).

I've had those girls too. Everyone always breathes a sigh of relief when they're gone too!! Lol, it's like you can feel the air rush back into the room.

Even though I barely tumble in the routine and it's jumps to a tuck I always throw it even when we don't have to. It makes me really frustrated because my team never does an actual full out and nobody seems to try. There are some who do it every time but a lot water down every routine and maybe do it once or twice the whole practice. Same way with stunts, they think oh well if we fall we fall, we'll keep it up at competition. My coaches do something every once in a while and make them do an extra pass but a lot of the time they just get told to do it and by now they've kinda figured out they can get away with it. Sometimes I wonder why people are even there because some are always saying how they hate cheering and I'm like, okay then, leave.

Even though I barely tumble in the routine and it's jumps to a tuck I always throw it even when we don't have to. It makes me really frustrated because my team never does an actual full out and nobody seems to try. There are some who do it every time but a lot water down every routine and maybe do it once or twice the whole practice. Same way with stunts, they think oh well if we fall we fall, we'll keep it up at competition. My coaches do something every once in a while and make them do an extra pass but a lot of the time they just get told to do it and by now they've kinda figured out they can get away with it. Sometimes I wonder why people are even there because some are always saying how they hate cheering and I'm like, okay then, leave.
Didn't edit fast enough, but everyone kinda gets annoyed with me because I usually say something when people brush it off as no big deal. Even something as simple as letting baskets out on 7, I'm the back and we let baskets out on 7 and over and over they would catch and just drop her and let her go and it looked bad so I kept repeating how we let out on 7 and this girl was like "we're just doing straight tosses so it's hard to wait until 7" and i'm like uhh, no it's not just hold it for a few counts. It may just be me being a perfectionist but I want to look good.
Sorry, stepping off soapbox.

cmpayne said:
Didn't edit fast enough, but everyone kinda gets annoyed with me because I usually say something when people brush it off as no big deal. Even something as simple as letting baskets out on 7, I'm the back and we let baskets out on 7 and over and over they would catch and just drop her and let her go and it looked bad so I kept repeating how we let out on 7 and this girl was like "we're just doing straight tosses so it's hard to wait until 7" and i'm like uhh, no it's not just hold it for a few counts. I mean seriously?
Sorry, stepping off soapbox.

Thank you! Its those little details that matter so much. We cannot paint our very best picture when we have dirty brushes! It's the tiniest little things that make it all look just right.
A team that polices itself will always beat one that doesn't take pride in their practice.

For me, there is a difference between sick, and REALLY sick. If your throwing up, or can't breathe, don't do anything! I totally understand that! But its annoying if somebody has a "headache" and doesn't want to throw tumbling. Heck, I have headaches every practice! And the whole cramps thing is a killer too. We all have those weeks. Take a midol, some aleve, and you should be fine. Some girls are soooooo dramatic about them. Yeah, they hurt. Yeah, they aren't the loviest things in the world. But its not gonna kill you to take a deep breath and forgot about your cramps for just 2 minutes and 30 seconds.

If there is opportunity to do this, then one of the best things that you can do when this happens is to move the athlete who refuses to do anything down to the lower level team. When signing up for the team, they understood the commitment they had to make to be apart of that team and they knew the skill level required to maintain their spot. It's not your fault for moving them down, its theirs. Telling them "you'll be put on this team until you can prove to us you're ready to be moved back up" might scare them enough to actually make them do their part. Plus, a little humility never hurts anyone...

Gahh it's SO frustrating when people don't throw their tumbling. If you're given a pass that you know you can do, that's what you have to do to be part of the team. When people don't want to push through their aches and pains, that tells me that they don't really love cheer. And if you don't love it, why not just leave and do something else?

Getting off my soapbox now, haha. I still will never understand why people do cheer, especially at high levels, if you don't love it 110%.

For me, there is a difference between sick, and REALLY sick. If your throwing up, or can't breathe, don't do anything! I totally understand that! But its annoying if somebody has a "headache" and doesn't want to throw tumbling. Heck, I have headaches every practice! And the whole cramps thing is a killer too. We all have those weeks. Take a midol, some aleve, and you should be fine. Some girls are soooooo dramatic about them. Yeah, they hurt. Yeah, they aren't the loviest things in the world. But its not gonna kill you to take a deep breath and forgot about your cramps for just 2 minutes and 30 seconds.
i truely do hate when girls are way over dramatic about certain issues and not practicing because of it. I wont give up practicing until i cant move!!! i have sprained my ankle the day before a competition at practice, and i still practiced the rest of that night and performed the following day. not saying thats a huge injury or anything but i still believe athletes should push through the pain and continue fighting for their team, unless of course the pain will hurt you in the long run for a longer period of time <---- i have recently learned this from my coach, since people on my team lie and say they are not hurt. lol

... continue fighting for their team, unless of course the pain will hurt you in the long run for a longer period of time <---- i have recently learned this from my coach, since people on my team lie and say they are not hurt. lol

do you ever do this? ;)

i truely do hate when girls are way over dramatic about certain issues and not practicing because of it. I wont give up practicing until i cant move!!! i have sprained my ankle the day before a competition at practice, and i still practiced the rest of that night and performed the following day. not saying thats a huge injury or anything but i still believe athletes should push through the pain and continue fighting for their team, unless of course the pain will hurt you in the long run for a longer period of time <---- i have recently learned this from my coach, since people on my team lie and say they are not hurt. lol
EXACTLY! Theres a girl on my team who tore her ab muscles and still cheered high school! Sure, she was high on Vicadin, but she still competed because she knew that we needed her. Thats true dedication there! And then of course theres a girl who comes to practice who says she has a kink and her neck and can't tumble. Ummmm the girl with the torn abs is tumbling, so you better tumble. Kink Shmink.

So here's another question for you guys....what if the person (people) not throwing their skills or giving it their very best is claiming to be injured or sick? --Throw in whatever excuse you like-- I hate all of them-- and they simply cannot do the conditioning or drill. How do you handle your melodramatic teenage girls?
Make them do a harder alternative. When I was in a medical boot because of a stress fracture- I obviously wasn't faking- my coach would make me literally make me do suicides hopping on one leg while the rest of the team was running. I'm sure it would work with faked injuries too. And for girls claiming to be sick- don't tolerate it. If it's really bad they need a doctor's note. No doctor's note= suck it up.

Back