OT To Greek Or Not To Greek

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
My cp is 11 and in 5th grade...she has already decided she is going ZTA. I was the only female in my family not to go greek when I first attempted college back in 1993. By the time I went back I was to old! I did attend some rush events that were awesome but never found a good fit for me that would work around my lacrosse schedule...
But yes my cp already has a ZTA shirt...I think it may have something to do with her favorite cheerleader being ZTA....

I loved it. One of the best times ever. There was a tiny bit of hazing, but it tilted to the funny side vs. harmful. How it benefited me was that I was shy and it gave me an immediate social group that got me involved gang busters into college. I still see my best friends from my sorority at least every year or so and it is 30 year later. The academic requirements are a helpful push to keep it together if you are not inclined towards school. :D For what it's worth, you will know when you get to the rush parties pretty quickly whether it is right for you.

I'm a Phi Mu! I didn't go through rush my Freshman year. I went through Spring Rush instead of Fall my Sophomore year instead. That gave me some time to get my feet under me. I was involved in some other organizations and clubs, but Greek life was so big at my school that I felt like I was missing out socially. I don't regret going Greek at all! I met some great friends, 2 of whom are fellow cheer moms! We cheer for our kids together now which is great fun!! I had lots of fun in school, and was more motivated to keep my grades up. (I actually became the Panhellenic Scholarship Chair, which made me the person who watched all of that for everybody...) Also, the busier I got, the more I had to manage my time wisely, which actually ended up benefiting me in the end because I'm a huge procrastinator. :oops: The best thing, though, that I have found through being a part of a sorority is that some of the friends you make will be friends for life. The networking aspect of it beyond college has been very beneficial for me. I say try it...if you don't like it, nobody will force you to stay. Good luck!!!

Delta Zeta at UNC Chapel Hill- loved it!! Great way to meet people and get involved! I loved the philanthropic aspect of it too. Just make sure you can afford it because it is really expensive. And find the house that fits you- not necessarily the most popular one! Good luck!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Delta Zeta at UNC Chapel Hill- loved it!! Great way to meet people and get involved! I loved the philanthropic aspect of it too. Just make sure you can afford it because it is really expensive. And find the house that fits you- not necessarily the most popular one! Good luck!

My cousin is a DZ! And so is one of my friends, but not at UNC :p

DO IT. DO IT. DO IT. Just 6 months ago I was posting on here considering it and did informal spring recruitment and it was the best thing I decided to do my freshman year by far. I'm a Kappa Delta and LOVE everything about it. (HI KDs OUT THERE!! <3) And now I'm about to preach my life hahah..

Just some background so you kind of understand where I'm at: I just finished my freshman year. First semester I considered formal recruitment and backed out right before because I was overwhelmed with schoolwork and wasn't sure if it was right for me. I immediately regretted not giving it a shot. I had 2 friends on my floor who just so happened to pledge KD and I was so envious of them and everything they were doing. So 2nd semester I found out 2 chapters were having open recruitment, my chapter and another. My 2 friends actually told me I'd like the other better but I went to KD first and literally felt SO at home. I tend to be reserved and nervous first meeting people but I did not feel that whatsoever. So I got my bid and never even considered going to the other chapter.

Back to your question.. PROS:
- You meet people in your classes! I met my big through our mutual dislike for one of our gen eds. Another girl, who just so happens to be my G-Big now, creepily messaged me on FB right after bids day and come to find out she sat behind me in class. I didn't know anyone and then we did all our studying and projects together (and got help from people who already took the class!!). And I already know people in my classes for next semester!
- You're with people who have common interests! Before, I felt like I was surrounded with stupid freshmen who just liked to blackout every weekend. And while I'll admit greek life parties too, I feel like I'm with a group of motivated individuals who I can honestly say I share some random interest with everyone in my house.
- Obviously you cheer, which is why you're here. I think that my biggest issue going to college was filling the void from cheer. It was my life for 8 years and then it was just gone when nothing in my life was the same. KD recreates the cheer environment for me. It's a supportive group of girls who are excited about something that brings them all together. There's cheering, crafting, and all the girly stuff I loved about cheer just without the actual physical activity.
- It's a home away from home! Even though I'm relatively close to home and in-state, I still feel like going to the house is somewhere comfortable and like home for me. There's always someone to talk to or do something with. I've walked over to the house to lay on the front lawn with sisters and literally do nothing. I've also been known to sit on the living room couches talking for hours just because I didn't want to walk back to my dorm..
- Probably the biggest and most relevant thing is that it prepares you for life after college. I haven't done recruitment yet but everyone I've talked to considers recruitment like training for interviews. You learn to make conversation and interact with people. Also the networking opportunities are insane. And I have learned about the most interesting majors, internships, and career opportunities though my sisters.

CONS:
- Time commitment. It takes up a lot of time. But it's also what you put in. You can make it as big or as little in your life as you want. But I've had to skip out on Saturday nights out for sorority/greek commitments.
- Money. It's expensive. No question about it. But making it into a positive, I consider it an investment in your future because of everything you gain from it.

Okay that's definitely long enough for now but I have SO much to say because I can't get enough of greek life. If you have any questions or just want to talk PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE message me. I know how it feels to be hesitant about greek life!! That goes for anyone!

@cheeeeer93 Thank you so much! It's funny you're a KD because I was actually thinking of joining KD! I really wanna do it! I have orientation the 23rd-24th of June and I'm gonna ask more about it there but your post has pretty much convinced me! Thank you so so so so so so much!

@cheeeeer93 Thank you so much! It's funny you're a KD because I was actually thinking of joining KD! I really wanna do it! I have orientation the 23rd-24th of June and I'm gonna ask more about it there but your post has pretty much convinced me! Thank you so so so so so so much!
AH THAT MAKES ME SO EXCITED YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW!! MESSAGE ME IF YOU NEED ANYTHING! I really would recommend checking out all the chapters but I'm biased to KD obviously. If you want to know anything about philanthropies or any of the philosophies behind it I can totally help you out. Also, I did a little quick research and I've kind of gotten the idea my greek community is pretty similar to FGCU so I can totally try and speak to that too.

ETA maybe if you're lucky you can be one of the few to know who I am and I'll add ya on FB (;

AH THAT MAKES ME SO EXCITED YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW!! MESSAGE ME IF YOU NEED ANYTHING! I really would recommend checking out all the chapters but I'm biased to KD obviously. If you want to know anything about philanthropies or any of the philosophies behind it I can totally help you out. Also, I did a little quick research and I've kind of gotten the idea my greek community is pretty similar to FGCU so I can totally try and speak to that too.

ETA maybe if you're lucky you can be one of the few to know who I am and I'll add ya on FB (;

OMG! I'm also kinda biased to KD because one of my old high school coaches was in KD at FSU and she said she absolutely loved it! I'm good at making friends but the only thing I'm worried about is potential hazing. Some may be fun but I'm not huge on anything too crazy.

you guys are so lucky you have sororities and things at your schools! theyre practically non existent in canada not to mention non existent at my school (bunch of weird self contained artists who are waaaay to quiet and private -.-)

Can anyone explain what this is? I was always wondering what ZTA is?
Well to start, ZTA is Zeta Tau Alpha. Sororities and fraternities are essentially social organizations at colleges. The names use Greek letters so for example ΧΩ is the sorority chi omega and ΛΧΑ is the fraternity lambda chi alpha. So basically each group has a set of beliefs that tie its members together. One of the main things is that Greek chapters support a philanthropy and host events for them. But they're different from a club because they usually have a house which is slightly off campus where the chapter meets and some of its members live. That's just a very quick description.. I can explain more if you want!

Well to start, ZTA is Zeta Tau Alpha. Sororities and fraternities are essentially social organizations at colleges. The names use Greek letters so for example ΧΩ is the sorority chi omega and ΛΧΑ is the fraternity lambda chi alpha. So basically each group has a set of beliefs that tie its members together. One of the main things is that Greek chapters support a philanthropy and host events for them. But they're different from a club because they usually have a house which is slightly off campus where the chapter meets and some of its members live. That's just a very quick description.. I can explain more if you want!

Got it. Thanks :)

Back