OT To Greek Or Not To Greek

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I would wait and then rush in the fall since you want to switch. Im not sure how ZTA is, but for Chi Omega if you transfer schools and they have a chapter, they don't have to give you a bid to their chapter. Also you might not end up at ZTA. I wasn't even interested in Chi Omega at first but in the end everything falls into place. Also if you get initiated into ZTA and then transfer schools where there isnt a ZTA chapter you're kinda screwed. Once you become initiated into a panhellenic sorority you cannot be initiated into another.
Only 3 are having Spring Rush and you have to rush specifically for the one you want to be in. At least, from my understanding that's how I interpreted it. They haven't released much information yet.

Only 3 are having Spring Rush and you have to rush specifically for the one you want to be in. At least, from my understanding that's how I interpreted it. They haven't released much information yet.
If you truly don't plan on staying, I'd wait to rush. Being a sister is more about the chapter than the organization when you are in college. These are your friends, roommates, sisters. What if you rush/pledge ZTA, transfer and don't like the sisters at the new chapter?

If you truly don't plan on staying, I'd wait to rush. Being a sister is more about the chapter than the organization when you are in college. These are your friends, roommates, sisters. What if you rush/pledge ZTA, transfer and don't like the sisters at the new chapter?
I agree with this, I'd wait. You may find yourself liking a completely different chapter you never expected at your new school.

Also @Alexx is right. When we had girls transfer in we would usually invite them to the house for some meals or just to hang out. Then a couple weeks into the year the chapter would vote to accept their membership. We always accepted them because they were amazing girls but I can tell you that of the 3 transfers we had in my 4 years, all 2 ended up dropping before their senior year and one chose not to affiliate. I'm sure they each had different reasons, but it was probably hard getting settled into one greek organization and having it be very different at your new school.

I've been thinking about rushing in the fall after reading this thread. You guys make it sound really great and I've been taking with my friend who's in one. Would it be weird to do as a junior?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I've been thinking about rushing in the fall after reading this thread. You guys make it sound really great and I've been taking with my friend who's in one. Would it be weird to do as a junior?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
We had several juniors every pledge class! My grand little rushed as a junior, and she's actually a couple months older than me! hahaha

Once you become initiated into a panhellenic sorority you cannot be initiated into another.
LOL boyfriend's best friend's gf was ADPi at one school (completely initiated), transferred and went DZ at her new school. She just didn't tell anyone.

Sorry for the double post but my committee has to come up with a campus event that people will actually want to come to. I go to a small school (less than 3,000) and greek life isnt huge here. Any ideas?

@cheerKT do you have any ideas?
Is it a philanthropy event?

LOL boyfriend's best friend's gf was ADPi at one school (completely initiated), transferred and went DZ at her new school. She just didn't tell anyone.
If she disaffiliated, I think it's legal.

If she disaffiliated, I think it's legal.
We were always told if you were initiated then you could never become a member of another chapter. Girls on campus have gone through rush, gotten a bid and dropped before initiation and rushed again the following year. (It had to be a full year if you signed a bid card in the fall, so no spring rush)

There was a rumor that if you were initiated and transferred and your new school didn't have your chapter you were allowed to join another, but I'm not sure the truth behind that.

My daughter may be switching schools in the fall and not doing cheer anymore :( but a sorority - we/she is kind of clueless lol - she will be a sophomore. Even if she doesn't switch, I still think she will look into a sorority - do you have to live in the houses is one question - and how do you pay the fees- are they monthly payments, or up front? Thanks!

Nope. Every organization on campus has to have one campus event per semester. Last semester it was karaoke, theyve done just dance games in the past along with tricycle races. It just needs to be something that anyone on campus can go to.
Hm that's interesting. Majority of our events were philanthropy events but could probably be adapted. We had a flag football tournament every year that was our main philanthropy. A lot of chapters did some variation of a sport. Maybe you could get a local band to come and play and do an outdoor concert? Those always had a good turnout around here, especially in the spring.

We were always told if you were initiated then you could never become a member of another chapter. Girls on campus have gone through rush, gotten a bid and dropped before initiation and rushed again the following year. (It had to be a full year if you signed a bid card in the fall, so no spring rush)

There was a rumor that if you were initiated and transferred and your new school didn't have your chapter you were allowed to join another, but I'm not sure the truth behind that.
That part isn't true. If you transfer to another school without a chapter, you are put on Alumna status. You are forever a member of your sorority, unless you disaffiliate. That's why I'm thinking you'd be allowed to join another sorority at that point, but I'm not 100%. If I had a girl coming through rush that had disaffiliated another sorority, I would vote against giving her a bid, but that's just me.

My daughter may be switching schools in the fall and not doing cheer anymore :( but a sorority - we/she is kind of clueless lol - she will be a sophomore. Even if she doesn't switch, I still think she will look into a sorority - do you have to live in the houses is one question - and how do you pay the fees- are they monthly payments, or up front? Thanks!
It completely depends on your school/chapter! Some require you to live in the houses for at least a year. Mine did not because of size. Our chapter was too big to realistically fit everyone for a year. Our only requirement was that officers live in the house, but that was modified the year I graduated to only include some officers, not others. Our chapter had the option of paying up front or you could apply for a payment plan and make 3-4 payments over the semester.

Back