OT To Greek Or Not To Greek

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
It completely depends on your school/chapter! Some require you to live in the houses for at least a year. Mine did not because of size. Our chapter was too big to realistically fit everyone for a year. Our only requirement was that officers live in the house, but that was modified the year I graduated to only include some officers, not others. Our chapter had the option of paying up front or you could apply for a payment plan and make 3-4 payments over the semester.
ok thanks - if she changes schools - she can live at home to save some money for awhile, which is not really what she will want I know - but she is trying to think logically about her student loans. Just trying to explore all options before she decides what she will do when the time comes. She wants to be involved and knows a sorority is a good way if she does not do cheer.

ok thanks - if she changes schools - she can live at home to save some money for awhile, which is not really what she will want I know - but she is trying to think logically about her student loans. Just trying to explore all options before she decides what she will do when the time comes. She wants to be involved and knows a sorority is a good way if she does not do cheer.
Even if living in the house is required, I don't think they will make you move in AS SOON as you get a bid. Logistically it just wouldn't be feasible and usually the house residents are set the end of the semester before. So she would have probably at least a year to get her feet wet at the new school and live at home and then decide where she wants to live.

for anyone that is still hesitant about greek life and scared about being dropped from their top choices, I just wanted to share my own story as I went through recruitment in the beginning of January...

so going into rush I had a few different houses in mind, and one that I did not want AT ALL. They were constantly my bottom choice, but then after a few rounds of rush everyone had dropped me and they were all I had left. I was an emotional mess and so hurt that everyone else didn’t want me, but I got talked into sticking with rush and continuing on with the one house even though I didn’t care for them. So comes pref day I finally started to have an open mind I finally saw something in the sorority that I had not felt previously. Well on bid day I accepted a bid to this sorority, but was still not 100%sure about, but I knew I would have regretted not giving it a chance. So throughout bid day I did have fun, got to meet girls in my pledge class, and hang out with an awesome older “pi pal”. Well, the next day comes and we were supposed to receive our new member pins, and on this day I was still really unsure and upset about the whole “Do I really belong here” thing. Well I, once again, was convinced to stick around just a little longer…and now I’m here. Five weeks later, I am now an initiated member of Alpha Delta Pi and truly could not be happier. I have beautiful, strong, supportive, and caring sisters who truly live for each other. My awesome pi pal from bid day is now my amazing big diamond sister. My pledge class has already become some of my closest friends. This realization of how much I love them hit me last night though. After our imitation in the morning, very generous alumnae hosted a banquet for us. While there, all of the alumnae shared that even thirty years later they continued to live for each other even under so many tragic circumstances. Then the senior members of our chapter shared what their dreams for our chapter were, and how they want everyone to have the same experiences of living for each other and becoming a better, stronger woman. Needless to say, there was not a dry eye in the room…So that’s my story. If there is anyone out there that stuck around to read the whole thing I just want to say if you were offered a bid to your least favorite house, please just give it a chance I promise you won’t regret it.

To go along with cheerbears story... Sigma kappa was my bottom 3 during every round. I actually ended up dropping during preference round because I did not want sigma kappa or the other chapter at all. My chapter has a reputation for being "weird". I decided to through open after doing a little online stalking. Needless to say I now LOVE sigma kappa. The girls are anything but weird and I love them to death. Going through recruitment it's so important to have a completely open mind and give every chapter an equal chance.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Anyone have thoughts on the news from SAE today?

For those who haven't read, their HQ ended pledging altogether for all chapters. Members are now extended bids and if they accept they become full members. Then are initiated pretty quickly and become brothers. Here's more info from their website
News - News from HQ - Historic Change on Founders Day - Sigma Alpha Epsilon

SAE has had the most cases of hazing deaths/injuries of any other fraternity in recent times. They've suspended/closed a staggering number of chapters in the past few years. It's lead to them having somewhat of a "dark cloud" over them nationals-wise. No offense to any of our resident SAEs here, especially you @ACEDAD!

Overall I see where they are coming from and I hate it had to come to this. Do you guys honestly think this will be effective?

I don't think it will be affective at all. I can actually see this back firing. Part of new member ed is learning about your chapters history and respecting it, along with learning all the rules. Sigma phi epsilon-Ohio kappa chapter does this but it's called balanced brotherhood where new members are initiated right away and to put it nicely, they're not the most respectable "men" on campus...

I don't think it will be affective at all. I can actually see this back firing. Part of new member ed is learning about your chapters history and respecting it, along with learning all the rules. Sigma phi epsilon-Ohio kappa chapter does this but it's called balanced brotherhood where new members are initiated right away and to put it nicely, they're not the most respectable "men" on campus...

That was a point my friend brought up. The current brothers might not like this rule and hold it against the new members, hazing them even more. I hope it doesn't end up that way but that's pretty much exactly how I see it playing out.

That was a point my friend brought up. The current brothers might not like this rule and hold it against the new members, hazing them even more. I hope it doesn't end up that way but that's pretty much exactly how I see it playing out.
Yeah, the whole "the need to go through what I went through" thing. If they are going to haze, they'll still find a way to do it.

Yeah, the whole "the need to go through what I went through" thing. If they are going to haze, they'll still find a way to do it.
Potentially even worse because of the idea that they got to "skip" their new member period.

Let it be known that I was never ONCE hazed in my four years. Yet some chapters and campuses still struggle with it. It's sad, honestly.

Back